What is Strength & Conditioning Training About? - article

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by miaou, Sep 15, 2013.

1. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

So I recently started a blog. It's nothing commercial, I'm still working on the layout, at this point I'm basically just looking to learn how creating/running a blog/website works so if/when I need to do something more professional I have some baseline experience on it. The blog will be about info and thoughts on athletic development training, along with following my own training (at least for the time being). Feel free to click on the link, browse through it and offer comments/feedback.

Here is the first article: Athletic Development Project - What is Strength & Conditioning Training About?

2. miaou

Link: Athletic Development Project - What is Strength & Conditioning Training About?

3. miaou

Link: Athletic Development Project - What is Strength & Conditioning Training About?

4. miaou

5. golvmopp

golvmopp Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Brilliant stuff as always!

6. frystyle

frystyle Blue Belt

Nice work, very informative. I am going to follow your blog.

7. KotovSyndrome

KotovSyndrome Blue Belt

Looks good, already subscribed.

What I like is the way you present information, very informative but not bone-dry.
    Any concrete plans on future articles (training modalities/methods, periodization, etc)?

8. TeddyRoosevelt

TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

I don't read spam.

Unless it is written by Meow. I'll expect big things from your blog, babe.

9. Wikinger

Wikinger Blue Belt

great stuff, thank you! *bookmarked*

cheers

10. miaou

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :icon_chee

11. miaou

Thanks. I have a big list of things I'd like to "tackle". From stuff requiring longer/more "in depth" articles (like this one), to shorter articles with my thoughts on/breakdown of various issues (stuff I see discussed online a lot and stuff I get asked about a lot in person), to short reviews of the scientific literature on certain subjects I think are worth my time. Ideally I'd like to get out a couple of articles every month, we will see.

Having said that, if there is anything specific you would like to see treated in more depth (and feel there isn't enough coherent/well-written/good quality information about online) feel free to let me know.

12. CRZA

CRZA Purple Belt

Based on your header, its about looking jacked on the beach :D

Great info as always, subscribed!

13. KotovSyndrome

KotovSyndrome Blue Belt

Well, something that would interest me (and alot of other people I believe) would be your take on a strength and conditioning routine for a competitive martial artist (wrestlig, grappling, MMA, striking, etc).

How would you organize the strength/power and conditioning work for somebody who does multiple hours of sports practise per week?
    Thoughts on performance standards for certain physical abilities and their empahis over another?
    Periodization of training around competitions/fights, including tapering.
    Peridiozation type used in general, if you would use a clear-cut model for application (block, conjugated, linear, etc.)
    Specific work on certain body parts (neck, core, grip) and injury prevention?

There's not a lot of usable information out there, especially about the organization of strength/power, conditioning and skill work (although I have to admit I haven't read Joel Jamiesons book so far). And as most internet fitness guys have thrown their take on an MMA training routine, very few have any experience in martial arts.
    Wendlers post about "531 for MMA" is a good example of that, but atleast he admitted it and his routine makes sense, although his conditioning advice is far from pleasing.

14. KotovSyndrome

KotovSyndrome Blue Belt

Of course that would be appreciated, too.

15. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

You didn't talk about swoleness. Is that being saved for a future article, so you can give it all the attention it deserves?

16. TeddyRoosevelt

TeddyRoosevelt Brown Belt

The pictures he included implied swoleness. The implication is often better than outright proclamations of swoleness.

17. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

Looks good. Perhaps add on something about eccentrically bias training for injury prevention?

One of my lecturers built this machine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88wAQqUaIzo that uses nordic curls as a predictor of hamstring imbalance and risk of injury.

18. miaou

Thanks, C.

Swoletitudeness will require one of those longer/more in depth articles. I'm thinking of a 10-part installation for that one.

This man gets it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  19. miaou

What you mention above requires either an extremely simplistic approach, or an entire book to cover. MMA is a very complex sport S&C-wise and also a sport requiring a very personalized approach depending on the athlete style, physical attributes and main sport training program.

I'll keep it in mind and maybe address it at some point. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks and thanks for the suggestion. That's a pretty specialized topic. I intend to write some injury prevention/rehab stuff, but I'd have to cover the basic principles before addressing something like that in more detail.

Is that machine's predictive ability shown via any kind of experimental work/published studies?

20. KidAlchemy

KidAlchemy Purple Belt

Good read, thanks for sharing!