What is Strength & Conditioning Training About? - article

Thanks and thanks for the suggestion. That's a pretty specialized topic. I intend to write some injury prevention/rehab stuff, but I'd have to cover the basic principles before addressing something like that in more detail.

Is that machine's predictive ability shown via any kind of experimental work/published studies?

It's still new in terms of research, though it seems to be sound so far. I had a play around with it the other day. It's plugged into a laptop and gives you a real time graph display showing muscle force, I managed to peak at around 550N with 4% difference between legs. Off memory, risk increases once you progress beyond 10%.

http://www.jospt.org/doi/abs/10.2519/jospt.2013.4837#.UjXtesbiloM
It's a relatively brief summary unfortunately.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17355322
It builds off this study and similar work that found that eccentric training combined with a warm up is the optimum way of reducing hamstring injury risk. The machine (they're calling it a nordboard i think) serves as a way of quantifying it all and removes a bit of the guess work.

Meow, you've done it again, you glorious and extremely well-spoken bastard

Great stuff, Miaou. Although I think you mean "installment" not "installation".

Possibly a good theme for a couple of articles would be "Beyond GPP". Something like this: you have a guy, he has a 1,000lb powerlifting total and overhead press roughly proportional to his bench, let's say a 220lb power clean, he can run 8km in 40 minutes without killing himself, RHR of 55, do 50 Burpees comfortably under 3 minutes, reasonably flexible. So he's been doing the basics reasonably well for a while. But his sport is not powerlifting or running (or Burpee-doing). But presumably, to make him a better athlete you don't want to just plug away at his big lifts, 8k time and burpee time. You want to make his S&C more personalized, and more sports-specific. So what are the components of that? What elements would you consider, and in what order? In practice, what sort of impact would that have on his programming?

I could envisage you going through a list of topics, like analyzing the energy demands of a sport, analyzing the movement patterns of a sport, diagnosing poor movement, power training, basics of periodization, and probably many others. There could be one or several articles for each topic.

Absolutely awful, Just the worst piece of shit article I've ever read.

Signed, Belphbear.

Signed, Belphbear.

It's certainly true that remarkably little is written about benching and curling, but other than that, I thought it was good. I guess perhaps that is an omission so glaring, you can't look past it.

Was there anything about curls in that encyclopedia?

blah blah...
Periodization... blah blah blah

blah blah..."Beyond GPP".. blah

This.

You can find a good number of articles on GPP but thats about as far as anyone ever goes into periodization. Any general info about "beyond GPP" would be great to see in an article. Things like what the goals of SPP are, or how you go about determining the goals of SPP. Maybe a list of common variables, why they're important, and your thoughts on how to know youre on the right track preparing for competition.

...a sport requiring a very personalized approach depending on the athlete style, physical attributes and main sport training program...

I would read anything about the relationship between those 3 variables.

I like it. I do agree with JauntyAngle; analyzing the movement pattern of a sport would be most interesting.

I also like graphs, work some graphs in there please.

Good read, thanks for sharing!

Meow, you've done it again, you glorious and extremely well-spoken bastard

Thanks, guys.

Good stuff.

Thanks. I assumed the general points of the article would resonate with you, since these are things you've alluded to in the past.

Signed, Belphbear.

Love it or hate it, just don't be indifferent to it, baby.

It's certainly true that remarkably little is written about benching and curling, but other than that, I thought it was good. I guess perhaps that is an omission so glaring, you can't look past it.

Was there anything about curls in that encyclopedia?

In my upcoming article about periodization I'll make certain to have a detailed and in depth analysis of the "conversion to jackness" mesocycle of sports preparation, which lasts 8-12 weeks in late spring and early summer. Curls are obviously going to be the cornerstone of that mesocycle.

In my upcoming article about periodization I'll make certain to have a detailed and in depth analysis of the "conversion to jackness" mesocycle of sports preparation, which lasts 8-12 weeks in late spring and early summer. Curls are obviously going to be the cornerstone of that mesocycle.

Fantastic timing, as I have about 5-6 weeks left of gaining jaktness before leaning up for summer.

It's still new in terms of research, though it seems to be sound so far. I had a play around with it the other day. It's plugged into a laptop and gives you a real time graph display showing muscle force, I managed to peak at around 550N with 4% difference between legs. Off memory, risk increases once you progress beyond 10%.

http://www.jospt.org/doi/abs/10.2519/jospt.2013.4837#.UjXtesbiloM
It's a relatively brief summary unfortunately.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17355322
It builds off this study and similar work that found that eccentric training combined with a warm up is the optimum way of reducing hamstring injury risk. The machine (they're calling it a nordboard i think) serves as a way of quantifying it all and removes a bit of the guess work.

To be honest, I'll have to look into relevant research in more depth to form an informed opinion on this. By the looks of the abstract of that particular study it's not clear that the results support the notion that eccentric training (as opposed to typical training involving eccentric/concentric lifts and properly programmed explosive/power work) offers any particular advantages because they don't mention what other S&P training the controls did. If you have access to the full study, let me know.

Great stuff, Miaou. Although I think you mean "installment" not "installation".

Possibly a good theme for a couple of articles would be "Beyond GPP". Something like this: you have a guy, he has a 1,000lb powerlifting total and overhead press roughly proportional to his bench, let's say a 220lb power clean, he can run 8km in 40 minutes without killing himself, RHR of 55, do 50 Burpees comfortably under 3 minutes, reasonably flexible. So he's been doing the basics reasonably well for a while. But his sport is not powerlifting or running (or Burpee-doing). But presumably, to make him a better athlete you don't want to just plug away at his big lifts, 8k time and burpee time. You want to make his S&C more personalized, and more sports-specific. So what are the components of that? What elements would you consider, and in what order? In practice, what sort of impact would that have on his programming?

I could envisage you going through a list of topics, like analyzing the energy demands of a sport, analyzing the movement patterns of a sport, diagnosing poor movement, power training, basics of periodization, and probably many others. There could be one or several articles for each topic.

This.

You can find a good number of articles on GPP but thats about as far as anyone ever goes into periodization. Any general info about "beyond GPP" would be great to see in an article. Things like what the goals of SPP are, or how you go about determining the goals of SPP. Maybe a list of common variables, why they're important, and your thoughts on how to know youre on the right track preparing for competition.

I would read anything about the relationship between those 3 variables.

Thanks, Jaunty. I meant "installment", indeed.

"Beyond GPP" is an interesting subject because many people either go straight to sport-specific/functional/funky stuff (and thus never build a proper GPP base), or get stuck with strength training and don't know when/how to introduce power/explosiveness and/or more sport-specific work, or what that should even look like. I think this might require a pretty long (and hard-to-write) article to cover to some semi-decent extent.

I like it. I do agree with JauntyAngle; analyzing the movement pattern of a sport would be most interesting.

I also like graphs, work some graphs in there please.
I'm thinking of a graph showing the relationship between total number of curl reps in the training program and overall awesomeness produced.

Interesting article. Nice overview of basic concepts. Especially enjoyed the car analogies. Looking forward to more in depth follow ups.

"Beyond GPP" is an interesting subject because many people either go straight to sport-specific/functional/funky stuff (and thus never build a proper GPP base), or get stuck with strength training and don't know when/how to introduce power/explosiveness and/or more sport-specific work, or what that should even look like. I think this might require a pretty long (and hard-to-write) article to cover to some semi-decent extent.

This is why I think you might want to take it topic-by-topic, or element by element, over a series of aticles. So things like one article on sport-specific strength work, one article on analyzing conditioning needs... etc etc. Of course each one itself is very complex and you can't lay out everything. So the articles might need to focus on the kinds of factors that need to be considered, and perhaps give examples or even 1-2 detailed (made-up) case studies.

It would be hard to do, indeed, but it fits the bill of something that there is little information out there about. And it would be really valuable. But of course I wouldn't read it- I'd just read and re-read the "Conversion to Jaktness" entries, because that is all I care about.

I like this idea. speaks to me.

I intend on hitting the track and throwing as well. So would be nice to hear your take on progressing passed simple strength and general GPP.

Back