What is considered the minimum for "Lay and Pray"?

Conduit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Many people consider GSP to be an LNP master, while others say he is active enough.

Nobody would say that Cain Velasquez, Chael Sonnen, Chris Weidman, Jon Jones and Mark Munoz are Lay and Prayers.

So while everybody agrees that Clay Guida Lays and Prays. What is the bare minimum a fighter has to do from the top for it to not be considered "Lay and Pray".

Try to pass guard at least

GSP has so many passes only idiots say he LnP's

8 passes over Condit, 26 over Hardy, 13 over Alves, 10 over Penn, 7 over Fitch

Best example of LnP winning a fight

Hendricks vs Condit

Condit out struck him every round and with 12 takedowns Hendricks didn't pass once.. He barely landed any strikes on the ground

Many people consider GSP to be an LNP master, while others say he is active enough.

Nobody would say that Cain Velasquez, Chael Sonnen, Chris Weidman, Jon Jones and Mark Munoz are Lay and Prayers.

So while everybody agrees that Clay Guida Lays and Prays. What is the bare minimum a fighter has to do from the top for it to not be considered "Lay and Pray".

Some very dumb fans accuse Chael of being a LNPer...I guess because he's a wrestler who's fights often go to a decision

A takedown.
Save that shit for the bedroom, i want to see HAYMAKERS

Hendricks vs Condit

Condit out struck him every round and with 12 takedowns Hendricks didn't pass once.. He barely landed any strikes on the ground

Lol, it's so obvious you're citing the Hendricks fight because you're a GSP fanboy. I have agree, though. Those takedowns only served to stop Condit from hitting him any further, and he did nothing further with the takedowns. Lay-n-praying.

Hendricks vs Condit

Oh no you didn't!

it's like bad art - hard to define, but you know it when you see it.

look folks, it's not complicated. because the rules are run by govt agencies instead of private entities, unlike most major sports the rules aren't fine tuned annually to get rid of gray areas.

if the UFC controlled the rules they would have dealt with fighters who try to win via "control" instead of via "fighting". i use both those terms loosely, hence the air quotes.

so fighters have figured out how to game the rules instead of game their opponents. LnP is 1 way of several.

or, to quote this article:

It is unfair to blame the failings of the scoring system solely on those who first created it; it is hard to believe that anybody watching MMA back in 1999 could envision future fighters actively fighting to exploit loopholes in the rules, just like the founding fathers would have problems picturing a Kalashnikov when they made the 2nd amendment.

When Big John McCarthy and others created these rules, fighters like Vitor Belfort, Kazushi Sakuraba and Igor Vovchanchyn where at or near their prime, fighting in some of the most memorable fights in MMA history. Little did they know the change in fighter attitudes that would follow, and (some) would later forge careers in fighting without needing to throw a punch.

alas, there are not annual fine tunings of the rules. that's the real shame, and the only (IMO) way to make the sport better. Dana has chosen to go another route, since mine solution is out of his control - he has simply decided to make it clear that "boring" fighters won't last. such is life.

I wouldn't say there is a time limit but you need to try and pass and you need to be active.
The problem with staying on a guy in top position is that it's hard to do real damage unless you're posturing up. Example being GSP v Condit where GSP obviously won, was trying to pass, but during the press conference Condit looked alright and George looked like he got hit with a bat.
I usually call it LNP when I actively yell for it to be stood up and I'm pretty generous.

Gloves are too big, sick of watching so called "Fighters" hiding behind pillows

814.gif

I still to this day wonder if people on Sherdog are incapable of understanding sarcasm or if I'm just incapable of understanding their sarcasm in response to the original sarcasm.

LnP is what Hendricks did to Condit, not what GSP did to Condit.

Gloves are too big, sick of watching so called "Fighters" hiding behind pillows

Lol
Guida is a prime example. If you take someone down and the only offense you're doing is some shoulder strikes because you don't want to lose position you're definitely a lnp'er. People just hate on chael and gsp but chael doesn't stop punching and gsp is always looking to pass and improve.

Hendricks vs Condit

No, Guida over Hioki was the worst.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back