What is considered the minimum for "Lay and Pray"?

The real question is : Can an atheist perform lay and pray? I think not.

Clay Guida. God damn, he's probably the only fighter that truly has been frustrating to watch.

Watching Ben Askren fight is entertaining compared to watching Guida. At least in their recent fights.

Clay Guida. God damn, he's probably the only fighter that truly has been frustrating to watch.

Watching Ben Askren fight is entertaining compared to watching Guida. At least in their recent fights.

That's pushing it, Askren is an AUTHORITY at LNP.

That's pushing it, Askren is an AUTHORITY at LNP.

Guida does nothing. He'll hold fighters against the cage and throw a few shoulder shots and maybe a few punches.

Askren switches positions more in one round than Guida has in his last few fights.

Guida does nothing. He'll hold fighters against the cage and throw a few shoulder shots and maybe a few punches.

Askren switches positions more in one round than Guida has in his last few fights.

Asskren just lays on fighters and throws little rabbit punches every now and then. His main weapon is exhausting the fighters who have to carry his weight for 25 minutes, not actually causing damage. His fighting style is that of a parasitic creature which slowly kills it's host.

Guida may be an LNP'er but he is more entertaining to watch because at least he has HEART.

Asskren just lays on fighters and throws little rabbit punches for the whole fight. His main weapon is exhausting the fighters who have to carry his weight for 25 minut, not actually causing damage. His fighting style is that of a parasitic creature which slowly kills it's host.

Well, I wouldn't call it laying since he does advance positions multiple times during a round.

I can see why he is considered a boring fighter, though. I called him entertaining only when he's being compared to someone like Guida during his last few fights.

Well, I wouldn't call it laying since he does advance positions multiple times during a round.

I can see why he is considered a boring fighter, though. I called him entertaining only when he's being compared to someone like Guida during his last few fights.

Well at least Guida has some form of striking. I'm probably a better striker than Askren.

Periodically attempt something, ANYTHING, at least every 5 to 10 seconds or so. It could be a guard pass, an attempts to get full mount if he is not already in full mount, a sub attempt from the top or even just a few simply strikes of any kind. I think this is one of the terms in MMA that is rather simple to define, though obviously MMA judges find it too complicated and confusing.

Wait. What about helbows from guard? Why is passing guard a requirement? you can do damage from on top from guard.

I apply lay and pray to the guy on the bottom doing nothing to try and get up so he just lays there holding on and praying for a stand up.

What do you think brought me to this site?

I personally like just watching my bum fight videos. Those guys are real fighters, unlike these boxer/kickboxer/mixed martial artist pussies!

Wall 'n Stall is worse than Lay 'n Pray. At least with LnP a takedown, a knockdown, or a slip (if you want to go there) precedes it which racks up legitimate points. If you hold your opponent down from there and keep them from getting back to their feet then that also gives you points for control. Now, as for what isn't Lay 'n Pray. If you actually advance position (or at least attempt to better it) and/or utilize some GnP to your opponent with some sort of regularity then it's no longer LnP per se. In the case of Sonnen, while he does beat guys up, his volume GnP is very, very weak. He does mix some hard shots in there every now and then though (not all the GnP against Anderson was soft in their 1st fight).

As for GSP being a LnP'er... his fight statistics tell a much different story. The man has the most guard passes in the UFC (possibly even in the entire sport) so he's clearly always, at the very least, attempting to advance position and often he does it numerous times within his fights. Secondly, he has the most significant strikes in the UFC (a very good majority of which are ground strikes/GnP).

I don't care if a fighter passes guard but never actually tries to go for the finish or submission.

I consider it lay n pray if you don't try to FINISH THE FIGHT.

Back