What has Machida done in past fights to become favorite over Weidman

When you look at this matchup, it's really bad for weidman.

Machida has proven very hard to take down, and it's not going to get any easier now that he's fighting at LHW.

So that makes it a standup battle, and it's foolish to pick ANYBODY against Machida in a standup fight.

I'd pick Shogun and Jones against Machida in a standup fight. Guess I'm foolish

Machida fans being idiots aside, I don't think this is a great matchup for the champ. Machida is very good at controlling distance, and that should negate at least some of Weidman's biggest tools in his reach and his wrestling.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if Machida has as much power at 185 as he had at 205, especially in his hands. Outside of landing a flush head kick, I don't see him being able to stop Weidman. And being a challenger who expects to win on points is always a dicey proposition in the UFC.

I think Weidman's power, reflexes, and underrated quickness and athleticism will be enough to get the win, but it won't be easy.

Machida fans being idiots aside, I don't think this is a great matchup for the champ. Machida is very good at controlling distance, and that should negate at least some of Weidman's biggest tools in his reach and his wrestling.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if Machida has as much power at 185 as he had at 205, especially in his hands. Outside of landing a flush head kick, I don't see him being able to stop Weidman. And being a challenger who expects to win on points is always a dicey proposition in the UFC.

I think Weidman's power, reflexes, and underrated quickness and athleticism will be enough to get the win, but it won't be easy.

Any reason to think he doesn't have the power in his hands that he did before?

The question is straightforward. Weidman has not lost a single round against Anderson Silva. Machida squeeeeeaked by Mousasi and spent most of the fight moving bqackward. How can Sherdoggers be so loyal to one fighter that even when he underperforms (such as against Phil and Gegard) they desperately cling to the belief that their favorite will finally put on an exciting performance that will redeem the past mistakes. I fully understand liking who you like, and wanting that person to win, but to make predictions like (Machida will tko Weidman) when there is no evidence that such a thing would or could happen....Please help me understand the nuthuggery!

He finished Munoz quicker.

But really, he isn't (shouldn't be) the favourite.

Weidman is a beast.

stuff like this in fights where he is "underdog"
33bmnms.jpg

He wasnt the underdog in this fight ;)

Machida does pose a bigger threat than most at MW currently but Anderson is twice the fighter and he has more speed and skills than machida as well. But Weidman dominated Silva in both of there match ups . This will go the same way machida will get TKO'd in the second .

Machida clearly has the ability to win, based on his speed, TDD, gas tank and striking/footwork. I'm not going to say he's a lock, but I think he is Weidman's most difficult matchup at MW.

I thought The Chris could take Vitor down and break his spirit and thought he'd be heavily favoured against Jacare, Rockhold, Bisping etc. but Machida represents a unique challenge.

Machida does pose a bigger threat than most at MW currently but Anderson is twice the fighter and he has more speed and skills than machida as well. But Weidman dominated Silva in both of there match ups . This will go the same way machida will get TKO'd in the second .

Anderson twice the fighter Machida is? More skilled?

I couldn't disagree more. They are both very good at different things, it is Machida's skill set that makes him a danger to The Chris, not his overall 'skill level'.

Back