What groups lost a key member but still made classic albums?

Everyone knows Ralph Tresvant was the leader of New Edition. Bobby was the wild card. Johnny was shy. Ricky was soulful. Ronnie was the quiet one. And Mike was equipment manager.

They were not huge but they were succesful, also Syd was the leader, main vocalist and main song writer, Pink Floyd sound had to evolve .

You cant really say anithing good about Pete Best.

Best thing about Pete Best is he wasnt quite good enough to make the band and for that we thank him.

I still think momentary lapse is one of the best albums they have with wish you were here up there too. Roger is just a bitter old man David is the real star of Pink Floyd.
When I saw live 8 and heard they were talking about a reunion tour I thought it was Roger who didnt want to but found out later if was David. Pink Floyd is the only band I regret not getting to see live.

Waters was there for wish you were here

AC/DC

Bon is the legend and arguably GOAT frontman, yet Brian seems like he was born to sing AC/DC songs for a living.

36680.jpg

They lost Syd Barret and recorded this as a tribute to him.

Just awesome.

hmmmm

I would say that Syd was not a key member. I would say all pink floyd music after he left is better than it was with him there.

Wu Tang after ODB died although their first to albums with him were way better than the rest.

Boogie Down Productions after Scott La Rock died.

People always mention Cliff, but the biggest hit to Metallica was when Mustaine was fired. He wrote an awful lot of the material on Metallica's first two albums.

but master of puppets is considered their best by far. And Justice would be on close to par with lighting and killemall

Ride the Lightning was the last Metallica album to feature co-writing contribution from former lead guitarist Dave Mustaine, who was credited on the title track and the instrumental "The Call of Ktulu".
- DM just two co writing credits on lightening

and 4 co-writing on killemall

mustaine sucks and megadeth f'in sucked.

Napalm Death has had a bunch of different guys and no original members remain. They keep chugging along and putting out quality grindcore. Time Waits For No Slave is outstanding.

Metallica (after Cliff Burton's death in a bus crash in 1986):

Numerous hits since including:

Everyone knows Ralph Tresvant was the leader of New Edition. Bobby was the wild card. Johnny was shy. Ricky was soulful. Ronnie was the quiet one. And Mike was equipment manager.

LOL... Man... I don't know why I said Bobby was the lead. He didn't even sing lead on "Candy Girl" and that's the song that set them off.

But yeah... nobody expected Bobby to blow up like he did.

Also... after Ralph Tresvant and Johnny Gill left "New Edition" the remaining members Ricky Bell, Michael Bivins, and Ronnie DeVoe formed BBD and dropped what some would consider a classic r&b/New Jack Swing album.

[YT]sb2np1HGqxg[/YT]

After Chi Cheng's car accident and eventual death Deftones went on to make two of their best albums in Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan. Those dudes have been together for almost thirty years and it took death to take away one of their founding members.

hmmmm

I would say that Syd was not a key member. I would say all pink floyd music after he left is better than it was with him there.

He was a key member. Syd at a time was the key member. There wouldn't have been a Pink Floyd without Syd Barrett. He was pretty much the main inspiration behind Roger's best concepts as well, except for Animals. Now i'm not one of those hipsters that will say Piper at the Gates of Dawn was Pink Floyd's best album, but their follow up albums after Saucerful of Secrets(which had Syd but in a diminished capacity) are all considered decent but uneven albums. They were falling short of Piper. I love them all but Pink Floyd didn't really find stable footing post-Syd until Meddle IMO. Then they went on to make their biggest albums which atleast half were inspired by Syd Barrett.

I wish it worked out with Syd and Gilmour in the band at the same time. They tried it. I'm not always a huge fan of Syd's whimsical lyrics but when you hear songs like Dark Globe and Terrapin it would have been interesting to see how he evolved with Floyd had he been left with the mental capacity to evolve. Perhaps they could have been the two lead vocalist and Roger could have just stuck to his haunting "talking"(which kicked ass) instead of trying to sing too much...but then again, without Syd's collapse we probably don't get Dark Side, WYWH, or The Wall. Either way, through his success with the band to his decline outside of the band...he was key to Floyd.

Whoever equated him to Best should be dubbed.

Last edited:
Back