What groups lost a key member but still made classic albums?

Didn't the Grateful Dead go through a bunch of members as well? I'm not sure if any classic albums came out after losing key members though.

Yup, their pianists were cursed... Pigpen drank himself to death @ 27, Godchauex (sp?) died in a car accident I think, and Midland OD'd on speedballs. Pretty much lost one every decade... Never had a permanent replacement after that, closest thing was probably Bruce Hornsby.

Metalica lost Burton relatively early and still cranked out some good stuff...

I think half of Lynard Skynard died in a plane crash, don't remember what point of their careers that was though?

My posts got deleted? Seriously? What is the justification for that - that I was right?

He gave the band inspiration. Im a firm believer in the band after syd, but what he did, to inspire so much of their music after he left couldnt have happened without him.

He's the ultimate muse.

Well said.

They also did alright when waters left. No where near as good as when he was with them though

True, but I'm also a David Gilmour fan.

Division Bell was a great album, IMO.

Didn't Bon Scott play a significant role in the making of Back in Black?

Some people believe Bon wrote a lot of Back in Black because a lot of the lyrics are classic Bon Scott style lyrics.

It's never really been proven though. He has no writing credit and no demos exist of him performing Back in Black songs.

My posts got deleted? Seriously? What is the justification for that - that I was right?

Holy shit. I was posting in a totally different thread and didn't even realize it. In my defense, I fucked up my back and am on tons of muscle relaxers. I'm not exactly crisp.

Van Halen was huge with David Lee Roth but had more success/hits with Sammy Hagar.

Traveling Wilburys without Roy Orbison

Van Halen was huge with David Lee Roth but had more success/hits with Sammy Hagar.

Traveling Wilburys without Roy Orbison

They may have had more hits, but I wouldn't say any Hagar era VH albums were classic.

I was about to say this but didn't want to endure the inevitable shitstorm David Lee Roth fans are about to rain down. I am already trying to explain to a bunch of millenials why Kurt Cobain was more famous than Dave Grohl in another thread.

They may have had more hits, but I wouldn't say any Hagar era VH albums were classic.

Right, I forgot about the classic part... was thinking more along the lines of success.

I was about to say this but didn't want to endure the inevitable shitstorm David Lee Roth fans are about to rain down. I am already trying to explain to a bunch of millenials why Kurt Cobain was more famous than Dave Grohl in another thread.

Really? Nobody knew who the other guys in Nirvana were until Grohl started Foo Fighters and I still don't know the bassist name but I can see his face.

And on the Pink Floyd thing... Saying they lost Sid Barrett and then got huge is like saying the Beatles lost Pete Best and then......those bands weren't massive when losing those members.

... but when Pink Floyd lost Roger Waters they made Delecate Sound of Thunder which was very successful and some might say a classic but really its average at best.

Right, I forgot about the classic part... was thinking more along the lines of success.

They definitely had way more success with Hagar up front. I'm definitely a Diamond Dave fan though.

The misfits had a brief stint of success after they reformed in the 90s without Danzig

RHCP did fine when Frusciante left the first time:

[YT]vV8IAOojoAA[/YT]

They also did fine when Frusciante left the 2nd time:
[YT]RtBbinpK5XI[/YT]

Not as amazing as with him, though.

And on the Pink Floyd thing... Saying they lost Sid Barrett and then got huge is like saying the Beatles lost Pete Best and then......those bands weren't massive when losing those members.

... but when Pink Floyd lost Roger Waters they made Delecate Sound of Thunder which was very successful and some might say a classic but really its average at best.

For me the post Waters albums are just as good as the ones with him. Division Bell is super good.

Back