What groups lost a key member but still made classic albums?

Ace of Spade

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Can you guys think of any music groups that lost the lead singer or a key group member but still released a classic album without them?

I think N.W.A did when Ice Cube left the group and they released the *****z4Life Album. Dr Dre's production was untouchable on that album.

[YT]w8Yi1tWftwQ[/YT]

Can you guys think of any other rock, rap, soul ect groups that lost key members but still made classic albums?

36680.jpg

They lost Syd Barret and recorded this as a tribute to him.

Just awesome.

I also. Really enjoyed d12 world

Last edited:
Pink Floyd! Dark Side of the Moon and the Wall are epic.

They also did alright when waters left. No where near as good as when he was with them though

True. But The Endless River is classic floyd. They brought back their old formula and killed it sans waters and wright. One could only imagine what the album would have been with those two. Though the album was partly an homage to what wright was trying to do for the division bell and got cut.

Joy Division (As New Order) after that death of Ian Curtis

Syd Barret is more overrated than Tupac

He gave the band inspiration. Im a firm believer in the band after syd, but what he did, to inspire so much of their music after he left couldnt have happened without him.

He's the ultimate muse.

The Doobie Brothers are the classic example of this scenario. They went through a dozen or so different lineups. Here is there first album after losing their lead singer and principal songwriter:
[YT]ftJPIVuZA9c[/YT]
Their sound definitely mellowed and it pissed off some fans, but it gave us some truly great music of the Michael McDonald era, which some mma fans might recognize the name from the fighter of that name, lol. I love burning a doobie to these albums.

[YT]9ChLvCDVtpc[/YT]

[YT]_wjMgX09es4[/YT]

Last edited:
Didn't the Grateful Dead go through a bunch of members as well? I'm not sure if any classic albums came out after losing key members though.

"But no I ain't down with Eric B no more"

Guns n" Roses lost Steven Adler and went on to make the Use Your Illusion albums.

Back