What groups lost a key member but still made classic albums?

Lynard Skynard

Lynyrd Skynyrd went on more do more albums after the plane crash in '77...

But their success/touring afterwards, was from their name, not their new albums/songs...

I wouldn't call him a key member since he doesn't play on the their first album

I didn't know that. He was still key on R and Songs for the Deaf and a lot of people doubted QOTSA after nick left

Nick was a pretty big part of the sound on Rated R and Songs for the Deaf so I think it counts since those were the albums that broke QOTSA into the mainstream. QOTSA's sound is quite different without him. He brought a harder, punkier edge to their sound.

I can't believe I'm the first to say Faith No More. Remember that Mike Patton wasn't their original singer.

The Who - lost Keith Moon
The Rolling Stones - lost Brian Jones

Yeah, I'm old.

Rolling Stones lost Brian Jones and made Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out, Sticky Fingers and Exiles on Main Street. Jones played minimally on Beggars Banquet and Let it Bleed.

black sabbath (ozzy osbourne left yet his replacement, ronnie james dio was better imho and they released a couple classic albums)

metallica (their best song writer, dave mustaine got kicked out of the band yet they still released a couple of epic albums)

iron maiden (original vocalist was replaced by bruce dickenson and they released some of the most awesome albums in the history of heavy metal. dickenson left and iron maiden still released a couple of awesome albums)

I saw Black Sabbath with Dio on vocals on his first tour with them. He really, really sucked. A midget in terms of height and talent. I couldn't wait for him to stop singing, and when he wasn't singing I was wishing that he would just leave the stage and comeback when the solos were over.

36680.jpg

They lost Syd Barret and recorded this as a tribute to him.

Just awesome.

First thing that immediately came to mind

Pretty sure Death never made an album after Chuck Schuldiner passing...

And Slayer will be releasing a new album this year, first since Jeff Hanneman passed, Gary Holt from Exodus is replacing him...But they did make some albums without Dave Lombardo though, who is the double bass master... I dont think Lombardo is on new album either, they got Paul Bostaph, who has drummed for Slayer, Exodus, and Testament...

And Testament never lost a key member that I recall...

Not sure about Morbid Angel, never really listened to them...

---The band Exodus went on after singer Paul Baloff though. They made albums with him, and then went to Stever Souza then back to him. And after Paul Baloff passed, they went on again with Steve Souza

Reason I put Death is because they had different lineup with every CD except obviously Chuck.

Slayer for Dave Lombardo leaving few years back.

Alex Skolnick left Testament for few years to do other things. They came out with three massive albums in this time: Low, Demonic, and The Gathering

Morbid Angel had frontman change. Gateways to Annihilation is beast of an album.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back