What got you into watching the UFC?

What got me into MMA? Wanderlei and PrideFC
What got me into UFC? Pride folded, so...

i started playing UFC 09. by the time i bought my first ppv, which was 113, i already knew most of the roster just from the game and i was hooked

For me it was high school wrestling, A lot of my friends on the team were really into UFC and MMA so I decided to host a UFC party (I beleive the fight was Machida and Evans) and now that's been sort of a monthly thing

My dad and me started watching alot of boxing in the late 80's. It was around that time that "tough guy" competitions started to take off.(at least thats what I remember, it could just be that its just when I noticed them) The crazy-awesomeness that was the tough guy fights culminated with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. I remember both me and my dad getting super excited to see a tournament full of massively different skill sets. Neither on of us knew anything other than Boxing and Karate, so we never believed anything other than a standup striking fighter could ever in a million years win that kind of a tournament. It was freaking Bloodsport but for real.

Well the little Brazilian guy won in the most amazing ways we had ever seen. We saw several more UFCs together before the sport became basically banned and he lost interest. I on the other had couldnt stop watching. And when UFC became impossible to watch I luckily found Pride at my local video tape rental place. Eventually UFC was bought by Zuffa, they turned MMA around in the US and I started watching UFC again around 32-34. I havent missed a main card since. And I havent missed a UFC fight since the prelims then facebook fights started airing.

So the quick answer is that me and my dad bonded watching combat sports and UFC started while we were at the height of enjoying these sports together.

Literally a UFC 104 Commercial, i basically fall in love with Lyoto Machida after watching the commercial.

Extreme fighting in a cage?, a karate guy is the champion?, shotokan black belt just like my father?, LETS DO THIS.

Watched UFC since UFC 1 and could not stop talking about the little guy who was submitting everyone . Royce Gracie is the reason .

In the mid 80's I got the Hulkamania box set for my birthday and listened to that motivational tape while pumping away at the hand strengthener for ever. (It paid off)

Around the same time I tried some Tae kwon Do. Then in high school i'd heard something about real fighting on tape in the USA and found the first UFC's on VHS in my local video store.

Sweaty dudes and body contact... You better believe I was hooked.

What do you mean what got me watching? This is my house, I build it.

It was 2001 and I joined the wrestling team. I learned to appreciate the sport of combat. Watched my friends dads UFC tapes that he had recorded and was amazed by Royce and the ability of grappling to dominate an opponent in an actual fight. Fast forward a year later, one of the other wrestlers decided to host a UFC party.

The basketball players watched their NBA, the football players watch their NFL, and the baseball players watched their MLB. Well guess what, us Wrestlers finally had UFC to watch on PPV. From then it became a trend to order every single one. My other buddy who was a grappler first then joined the wrestling team would order the Pride events. SO... what got me into UFC? Wrestling did.

Or MMA in general? I overheard my friends talking about "how sick the fight was last night" so I decided to ask them what were they talking about. They were talking about "UFC145 Jones vs Evans" so I decided to watch it and I couldn't grasp how exciting this sport was, the sport I never even paid attention to. So I decided to watch every event from UFC145-to present as well as the older fights before 145. I also train Wrestling and such, so it also influenced me to watching it.

I was a boxing fan originally, and still am, but, MMA is more dynamic since you can use everything.

I watched UFC from the start with Gracie and Ken Shamrock. You have to understand, it was even more appealing back then to the adrenaline rush. Mainly, because the rules were less and fans didn't have any knowledge about MMA so we thought people could die in the ring. The conversations back then, if you heard them, were probably funny to a MMA fan today. Mainly, because we talked about everything being possible. Now, theres an understanding of the athletes and what works.

So what kept me a fan this long? The fact it keeps evolving. At first it was shoot fighters and BJJ, then wrestlers were taking over, then liddel came and striking and wrestling was needed, now, its pretty much a greater chess match today. We see that BJJ and wrestling are the two most important foundation in MMA, but that is not enough like it once was in the past. The sport just keeps growing and its interesting to watch. There are era's of whats works, but, sooner or later once its figured out the invincible champions fall.

So the reason I like MMA, is that its just so interesting for me. Its really, an ongoing learning curve. Its also a rush when you want your fighter to win.

When Ken left the WWF and re-signed to fight Tito, I watched thinking Ken was invincible(I was a wrestling fan suckered)

Tito kicked Kens ass and I became hooked on MMA after that. Tito is basically what got me into MMA although Ken had an influence as well

UFC Undisputed 2009 lol

I love video games and one day my friend downloaded the demo which only had one match up, Shogun vs Liddel, it was a fun, but buggy game. Didn't matter, I was hooked on it, bought it, and from there I started to know the fighters and started watching the fights.

And from UFC 97, I haven't missed a single event yet. Also made me a diehard Shogun fan. Go figure

Brock Lesnar got me hooked onto the UFC.
Edit: My country . (India) had zero (or very little) exposure to mma.
We were primarily a pro wrestling nation. When Brock moved over,that's when I decided to look up on mma.
Have been hooked on since.

Last edited:
I grew up watching Boxing & Kung Fu Theatre on the weekends, when MMa started getting Popular it was the perfect progression.

Back