What got you into watching the UFC?

My dad and me started watching alot of boxing in the late 80's. It was around that time that "tough guy" competitions started to take off.(at least thats what I remember, it could just be that its just when I noticed them) The crazy-awesomeness that was the tough guy fights culminated with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. I remember both me and my dad getting super excited to see a tournament full of massively different skill sets. Neither on of us knew anything other than Boxing and Karate, so we never believed anything other than a standup striking fighter could ever in a million years win that kind of a tournament. It was freaking Bloodsport but for real.

Well the little Brazilian guy won in the most amazing ways we had ever seen. We saw several more UFCs together before the sport became basically banned and he lost interest. I on the other had couldnt stop watching. And when UFC became impossible to watch I luckily found Pride at my local video tape rental place. Eventually UFC was bought by Zuffa, they turned MMA around in the US and I started watching UFC again around 32-34. I havent missed a main card since. And I havent missed a UFC fight since the prelims then facebook fights started airing.

So the quick answer is that me and my dad bonded watching combat sports and UFC started while we were at the height of enjoying these sports together.

that's pretty awesome :)

I was a boxing fan originally, and still am, but, MMA is more dynamic since you can use everything.

I watched UFC from the start with Gracie and Ken Shamrock. You have to understand, it was even more appealing back then to the adrenaline rush. Mainly, because the rules were less and fans didn't have any knowledge about MMA so we thought people could die in the ring. The conversations back then, if you heard them, were probably funny to a MMA fan today. Mainly, because we talked about everything being possible. Now, theres an understanding of the athletes and what works.

So what kept me a fan this long? The fact it keeps evolving. At first it was shoot fighters and BJJ, then wrestlers were taking over, then liddel came and striking and wrestling was needed, now, its pretty much a greater chess match today. We see that BJJ and wrestling are the two most important foundation in MMA, but that is not enough like it once was in the past. The sport just keeps growing and its interesting to watch. There are era's of whats works, but, sooner or later once its figured out the invincible champions fall.

So the reason I like MMA, is that its just so interesting for me. Its really, an ongoing learning curve. Its also a rush when you want your fighter to win.

What do you mean what got me watching? This is my house, I build it.

It was 2001 and I joined the wrestling team. I learned to appreciate the sport of combat. Watched my friends dads UFC tapes that he had recorded and was amazed by Royce and the ability of grappling to dominate an opponent in an actual fight. Fast forward a year later, one of the other wrestlers decided to host a UFC party.

The basketball players watched their NBA, the football players watch their NFL, and the baseball players watched their MLB. Well guess what, us Wrestlers finally had UFC to watch on PPV. From then it became a trend to order every single one. My other buddy who was a grappler first then joined the wrestling team would order the Pride events. SO... what got me into UFC? Wrestling did.

UFC Undisputed 2009 lol

I love video games and one day my friend downloaded the demo which only had one match up, Shogun vs Liddel, it was a fun, but buggy game. Didn't matter, I was hooked on it, bought it, and from there I started to know the fighters and started watching the fights.

And from UFC 97, I haven't missed a single event yet. Also made me a diehard Shogun fan. Go figure

fun posts. great thread. funny how people who don't post that frequently post in here (not including myself at all in this)

I remember it like yesterday. The year was 1976. The match was Muhammad Ali vs. Antonio Inoki. Ever since then I was hooked.

:D

...but really
UFC 101

Given Costa Rica does not have a thriving MMA community, I just happened upon it a few years ago. I always liked kickboxing, found my way to K1, and that lead me to MMA.

Since then I've watched every event from the Pride 2000GP-current. I had to go back and watch the pre-200GP stuff. But now I'm probably the most knowledgable Tico you'll find :icon_chee

CroCop brought me from K-1 to Pride and after that I started following MMA in general, also UFC. I was aware of "ultimate fighting" before that and had seen some of the early UFC events, but didn't get interested until CroCop fought in Pride and I started to understand the sport.

When I was young I was REALLY into wwf. In hastings the wwf section was near the ufc section.I read the back of ufc and it said something like"tae kwon do vs wrestling, sumo vs karate, this is the ultimate fighting championship" and I brought it up to my mom to rent for me.

I had no idea some guy wearing a karate sui would best these guys. Royce, thank you!

I was at home during the middle of the day, flipping through channels when I happened to come across a UFC Unleashed marathon.

Rented UFC 1 on VHS after seeing PPV ads for Ultimate Ultimate in December '95. Hated Royce Gracie but immediately wanted to know what jiu jitsu was.

Was always a fight fan as a kid. Grew up watching Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet li etc. Enrolled in TKD at the age of 7 and got my black belt at age 12. I have to add though, the academy I took TKD at is kind of a joke, so I don't consider myself a true black belt haha. Plan on taking MT in future.

Watched my first UFC event in 06, loved it.

watching gomi fight azeredo and kawajiri in one night at bushido 9

Wanderlei. Later started training BJJ with my brother after watching UFC and have been more and more into it since.

Matt Hughes When He Was The King Of The WW Division , That's Why He's Always Been My Favorite Fighter . His Match Vs Sakurai Was The First MMA Match I Saw Too

I got into modern UFC because of the Lesnar-Couture fight. I downloaded it because I was intrigued by the possiiblity of the smaller, crafty old veteran being able to outsmart the insane brute force of Lesnar. I always hated big dumb guys.

I saw UFC 3 in high school. My friends and I walked (we didn't have cars) to the video store during parent-teacher conference day, then picked up some ribs at the Chinese take out place. I remember feeling really sorry for the huge fat blakc guy. I'm assuming we beat the shit out of each other while watching this thing, because thats basically all we did every single day, other than ripping on each other and talking about girls we were too scared to talk to.

I love when people who haven't even been watching for a year declare certain fighters as the "GOAT"

The Chuck vs. Tito fued got me started, but Rampage vs. Chuck II made me a real fan.

My friends were buzzing mad about machida vs shogun 2, and i got sucked into it

UFC 2.. My uncle brought over a bootlegged copy on VHS recorded off the PPV days earlier.. Been a fan since.. when you think about it, that was along time ago... I wish I would have started training then, I might have actually been the UFC LHW champ..:p

Back