What does Tim Sylvia and Tyson Fury have in common?

The Fedor loss destroyed him.

It sure did I always found him to be super entertaining to listen to his post on here I miss those days back then.

Reactions: HHJ
398577102_233131546451386_3397251349280669491_n.jpg

Their first names start with T.

They are human beings.

They are male.

They are white.

They are heavyweights.

They are combat athletes.

They are overweight.

Many things

i thought it was badass ray mercer slept tim sylvia like that, one because i disliked tim sylvia, and two, i always root for the old dogs who still got it. symbolic of life, the path of man and all that shit.

Not only were they both built the same, they overlooked and underestimated their opponents. Tim Sylvia had a fight booked against Paul Buentello just like Fury had the Usyk fight afterwards, and we saw what happened. Honorable Mention, Ubereem vs Hari. All Heavyweights too.

Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer
5e57e299e522bb63-600x338.gif

Tyson Fury vs Francis Ngannou
francis-ngannou-tyson-fury.gif

Badr Hari vs Alistair Overeem 1
overeem_hari_3_medium.gif
Tim Sylvia - former UFC HW champion who got sparked cold by an old former boxing HW champion in an MMA fight.

Tyson Fury - reigning lineal Boxing HW champion who got dropped and beat by reigning lineal HW MMA champion in a boxing match.

They are opposite equivalents

I think Tim got a bad rap. It wasnt all undeserved...but it was all goofy shit,he wasnt a bad guy and didnt mean any harm by it.

What ever happened to Tim's #1 fan, Goober Taylor??? I've been on and off sherdog for years

Tim Sylvia wasn't the reigning #1 HW in MMA when he got KO'ed by Mercer. He wasn't even a top20 HW when he fought Mercer

Sylvia was actually ranked 7th in the world after losing to Fedor, so even if other guys passed him by by the time he fought Ray Mercer (it was a full year later after all), there's no way he wasn't at least top 10.
Heavyweight-2008-576x400.png

https://rankingmma.com/world-mma-heavyweight-rankings-2008/
The fact that Tim was top 10 was a big deal at the time, since it helped boxing fans discredit MMA... and a big joke was made of the fact that Ray Mercer became ranked like 14h or 13th in the world on Fightmatrix after starching him in 9 seconds
https://middleeasy.com/uncategorize...anked-mma-heavyweight-in-the-world-seriously/

Sylvia was supposed to fight Paul Buentello
(who was still riding the high of stopping the Baby Fedor hype train, since most MMA pundits expected Kirill to Sambo his ass... that was the win that got Paul back in the UFC)
next at Affliction III...
Had Tim easily out-jabbed & low-kicked Mercer there were plenty of potential fights for him out there.

Jérôme Lebanner had been calling Sylvia out for a while and a fight with him could have been cool, Sylvia could have also tried to get fights with Aleksander Emelianenko or Kirill Sidelnikov, to stay in the Emelianenko family.

It was so frustrating to watch Sylvia show up so out of shape and get his head bashed in by the first punch Ray threw, what a shitshow...
We got the results right after a live UFC event, sitting on the grass outside the arena, so I was around a bunch of MMA guys when someone checking their phone giggled and announced that Timmy got KTFO and it was a shower of "what an idiot, no way, Jesus fucking Christ, we'll never hear the end of it"...
I'm no fighter basher myself, huge sin in my eyes, but I still remember what I shamefully said on the spot :( I mean, it's like Tim wanted to make Fedor look bad, "oh he Zulu's me? Well imma find some old man who never fought in MMA before and get Zulu'd even quicker, that'll show him" )

Sylvia was actually ranked 7th in the world after losing to Fedor, so even if other guys passed him by by the time he fought Ray Mercer (it was a full year later after all), there's no way he wasn't at least top 10.
Heavyweight-2008-576x400.png

https://rankingmma.com/world-mma-heavyweight-rankings-2008/
The fact that Tim was top 10 was a big deal at the time, since it helped boxing fans discredit MMA... and a big joke was made of the fact that Ray Mercer became ranked like 14h or 13th in the world on Fightmatrix after starching him in 9 seconds
https://middleeasy.com/uncategorize...anked-mma-heavyweight-in-the-world-seriously/

Sylvia was supposed to fight Paul Buentello
(who was still riding the high of stopping the Baby Fedor hype train, since most MMA pundits expected Kirill to Sambo his ass... that was the win that got Paul back in the UFC)
next at Affliction III...
Had Tim easily out-jabbed & low-kicked Mercer there were plenty of potential fights for him out there.

Jérôme Lebanner had been calling Sylvia out for a while and a fight with him could have been cool, Sylvia could have also tried to get fights with Aleksander Emelianenko or Kirill Sidelnikov, to stay in the Emelianenko family.

It was so frustrating to watch Sylvia show up so out of shape and get his head bashed in by the first punch Ray threw, what a shitshow...
We got the results right after a live UFC event, sitting on the grass outside the arena, so I was around a bunch of MMA guys when someone checking their phone giggled and announced that Timmy got KTFO and it was a shower of "what an idiot, no way, Jesus fucking Christ, we'll never hear the end of it"...
I'm no fighter basher myself, huge sin in my eyes, but I still remember what I shamefully said on the spot :( I mean, it's like Tim wanted to make Fedor look bad, "oh he Zulu's me? Well imma find some old man who never fought in MMA before and get Zulu'd even quicker, that'll show him" )
He had no business being ranked in the top10 by that point. Still not the same as if he was the reigning, defending ufc champ and got 1 punched

I think Tim got a bad rap. It wasnt all undeserved...but it was all goofy shit,he wasnt a bad guy and didnt mean any harm by it.
I agree. He was an overachiever, who was doubted by his coach (Miletich) and ridiculed by his teammate/idol (Hughes). He reached an almost impossible apex, all while looking very average and having none of the mystique /appeal of other MMA champions/superstars. It's easy to pick apart his legacy with the benefit of hindsight - the harder but more mature and honorable thing to do is to give him his dud respect.

Reactions: HHJ
Back