What does Tim Sylvia and Tyson Fury have in common?

Fury is NOTHING like Timmy and that fight with Mercer was meaningless; using it as any kind of example of boxers in MMA also is missing the train in a big way.

Timmy was fat and finished as a fighter at that time, and never had the kind of grappling an MMA fighter needs to beat a boxer.

c3bSMjx.jpg
Not really. Tim was fat, but he was only 35 and it was the year after he'd fought for the interim UFC title and his Fedor fight, and he also went 4-0 in the 2 years after that.

It's pretty meaningless though because it was originally going to be a boxing bout, then it was MMA, then they had some agreement between themselves to only box but Tim immediately threw a leg kick, Mercer pointed down and told him he broke the agreement and threw an overhand that connected on the first punch.

Tim was 33, Mercer was 48 yrs old. Tim was arguably in his prime. He came in fast just like fury did for the ngannou fight.

You sound like some of these boxing fans who make excuses for why fury "lost".

If you want to frame that fight as being anything but meaningless garbage, that is your choice, but it is patently false. I don't give a shit about the MMA vs boxing nonsense. That fight was on the tail end of Timmy losing 4 out of 5 fights, he was going downhill in his mid-thirties as many HWs have (Cain, Fedor, etc.), and was fat.

Tyson is the Tim of boxing

Hate that mercer fight because boxing fans always use it as "evidence" that boxing > mma.

THANKS TIM

Fortunately mma fans always have the comeback when Kimbo Slice beat Mercer in a mma fight 2 years prior.

Yeah, I must have missed what a world beater Jeff Monson was. Is he a household name?

Household name? It’s grappling we’re talking about, nobody is a household name lol.

You are severely underrating Jeff Monson though. The guy is a highly, highly accomplished grappler. Are you familiar with ADCC? It’s only the most prestigious event the sport has. Monson won gold twice.

Household name? It’s grappling we’re talking about, nobody is a household name lol.

You are severely underrating Jeff Monson though. The guy is a highly, highly accomplished grappler. Are you familiar with ADCC? It’s only the most prestigious event the sport has. Monson won gold twice.

Yup exactly. If anything big Tim’s ground game was underrated.

Tim was 33, Mercer was 48 yrs old. Tim was arguably in his prime. He came in fast just like fury did for the ngannou fight.

You sound like some of these boxing fans who make excuses for why fury "lost".

LOL, when you're talking about the shape they came it was nothing close and comparable. Fury came in 9lbs more than his last fight and 4 lbs more than he did vs Wilder. Tim Sylvia came in at 310 lbs vs Mercer which is 45 more lbs than usual. Tim was also coming of serious surgery after the Fedor fight and was in awful shape.

You can try to say Tim's fight with Monson proves he is a good grappler all day long; you will get laughed out of the room.

I love Sherdoggers and their single-example proof, it kills me every time. "Well John got a TD on Joe in a fight, therefore Joe is a sucky grappler and Jon is a great one." ROFL at this sort of logic.

Here is a post to help educate you also:
LOL, when you're talking about the shape they came it was nothing close and comparable. Fury came in 9lbs more than his last fight and 4 lbs more than he did vs Wilder. Tim Sylvia came in at 310 lbs vs Mercer which is 45 more lbs than usual. Tim was also coming of serious surgery after the Fedor fight and was in awful shape.

Not only were they both built the same, they overlooked and underestimated their opponents. Tim Sylvia had a fight booked against Paul Buentello just like Fury had the Usyk fight afterwards, and we saw what happened. Honorable Mention, Ubereem vs Hari. All Heavyweights too.

Tim Sylvia vs Ray Mercer
5e57e299e522bb63-600x338.gif

Tyson Fury vs Francis Ngannou
francis-ngannou-tyson-fury.gif

Badr Hari vs Alistair Overeem 1
overeem_hari_3_medium.gif
They aren't the same though. Sylvia was old, fat and washed and not even close to a top HW when he fought Mercer.

Tyson Fury is the current reigning, defending HW champion and literally fought at best to a tie with a debuting boxer.

They're both tall, fat, ugly, built like a bowl of mashed potatoes and can fuck up nearly everyone on the planet

You can try to say Tim's fight with Monson proves he is a good grappler all day long; you will get laughed out of the room.

I love Sherdoggers and their single-example proof, it kills me every time. "Well John got a TD on Joe in a fight, therefore Joe is a sucky grappler and Jon is a great one." ROFL at this sort of logic.

Here is a post to help educate you also:

Did I say anything about Tim Sylvia? No I don’t think I did. I don’t give a fuck about fat ass Timmeh. You are clearly confused lmfao…

Did I say anything about Tim Sylvia? No I don’t think I did. I don’t give a fuck about fat ass Timmeh. You are clearly confused lmfao…
You talked about Sylvia being a good grappler beating Monson. The only confused one is you.

Nice try to change the subject though, your logic was falling apart badly and you needed a lifeline. You want to talk about confused nonsense- that is your idea of Tim being a good grappler; everyone here is laughing at you.

You talked about Sylvia being a good grappler beating Monson. The only confused one is you.

Nice try to change the subject though, your logic was falling apart badly and you needed a lifeline. You want to talk about confused nonsense- that is your idea of Tim being a good grappler; everyone here is laughing at you.

Now you’re even more confused lmfao. Quote one of my posts that says anything about Tim Sylvia at all, never mind his grappling ability.

Now you’re even more confused lmfao. Quote one of my posts that says anything about Tim Sylvia at all, never mind his grappling ability.
Still trying to change the subject, huh?

Tall bald fat guys with HW belts who kinda look alike?

On a serious note the Francis fight is worse because Francis outboxed Tyson for an extended period of time. He changed the way the boxing community views the world. In the 2000s MMAers always knew a boxer with no TDD could swing for the fences before the MMAer got a hold of them but it was sort of a successful hail mary thing and less of a boxer out MMAing a UFC champ. Also Kimbo had taken out Ray Mercer in a few seconds like a year earlier. There wasn't a lot too it, Sylvia thought he could stand with Mercer for a few seconds without taking the fight to the ground.

Back