What do you wear to lift/ does it make a difference?

C

christiancore

i was gonna put this in gear/equipment, but i think it belongs in here.

I see a few guys at my gym wearing those weight cutting outfits to lift in and a few other bundled up like Rocky. i usually work out in shorts and a sleeveless shirt.

What do you guys wear to lift, why?

most important thing to me is if i have my oly shoes. other that that, it does not matter what im wearing.

Usually a long sleeve t-shirt and shorts with a pair of compression shorts underneath. I don't think anyone would be lifting in a sauna suit unless they have to cut weight. That would be god awful. On squat/dead days I also bring my oly shoes and knee sleeves.

do the oly shoes make a big diff? i'm assuming olympic. i wear out on my asics cross trainers. i love 'em. should i invest in some lifting shoes?

do the oly shoes make a big diff? i'm assuming olympic. i wear out on my asics cross trainers. i love 'em. should i invest in some lifting shoes?

What is your squat PR and what would you like it to be?

They are good for the oly movements and deep squats.

What is your squat PR and what would you like it to be?

confession time. you know those guys you all make fun of in the other threads? that's me up until a couple months ago. due to a back injury i have been scared to due leg/back workouts for a few years, but i'm trying to correct that.

my squat = shit. maybe 200 lbs. i don't even know what i want it to be. my bench is 275, i'm 5'11" and 198 if that gives you an estimate of what it should be.

Read this -

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/Weightlifting/WeightliftingShoes.html -

Proper footwear in the gym is important, especially if you are lifting free weights. When we lift weights we want two things to happen: (1) all the force our body produces under the bar should contribute to moving the weight and (2) the weight needs to be controlled in a safe manner. If we lift in a running shoe, it's akin to trying to lift while standing on a giant marshmallow. The soles of the running shoes, the marshmallow, will absorb and dissipate a large amount of the force generated against the floor that should be directed towards moving the weight. A gel or air cell shoe is a great thing for reducing the impact shock that causes the repetitive use injuries associated with running. But in the weight room, shoes should provide for the efficient transmission of power between the bar and the ground. You can't lift as much weight in the wrong shoes.

btw everyone. i also use gloves.

So does this guy

gotti.jpg

*giggles*

He is being serious. They helped me a lot too. Fatty uses them as well I believe. The heel lift lets you arch and drive harder while keeping your foot flat on the floor making it a legal lift.

did they now? you think they'll do anything for my curls?

Zero is not joking. Oly shoes are great for benching. When you incorporate leg drive in the bench, you want a stable surface to push your heels through the ground (as discussed in the article I posted above).

Before you drop some money on oly shoes, pick up a pair of Chucks or indoor soccer shoes. You will notice an immediate difference on squats and dls.

He is being serious. They helped me a lot too. Fatty uses them as well I believe. The heel lift lets you arch and drive harder while keeping your foot flat on the floor making it a legal lift.

*stops giggling*

Zero is not joking. Oly shoes are great for benching. When you incorporate leg drive in the bench, you want a stable surface to push your heels through the ground (as discussed in the article I posted above).

Before you drop some money on oly shoes, pick up a pair of Chucks or indoor soccer shoes. You will notice an immediate difference on squats and dls.

very cool. i already own a pair of sambas (best shoe ever) i'm about to go workout now, i'll try it.

sorry Zero - thought i was getting reemed. the OT has jaded me.

Back