What do you wear to lift/ does it make a difference?

i also use gloves.

michael_jackson_glove_2005-03-30.JPG

lol Chase. i never understood the hate on gloves. what difference does it make? it's not like it's a lifting shirt, and do you view straps the same way?

Well, for one thing, gloves prevent the build up of callouses and tough-skinned hands. Its similar to the moxi pad when squatting.

Take the damn gloves off. They effectively increase the thickness of what you are holding onto and actually make it harder to grip, in addition to setting of gaydars everywhere. Get some chalk and be a man. Straps are ok to use on occasion for things like heavy shrugs and rows, but shouldn't be used for most work unless you want a weak pussy grip. Holding onto to what you pick up is part of strength.

Take the damn gloves off. They effectively increase the thickness of what you are holding onto and actually make it harder to grip, in addition to setting of gaydars everywhere. Get some chalk and be a man. Straps are ok to use on occasion for things like heavy shrugs and rows, but shouldn't be used for most work unless you want a weak pussy grip. Holding onto to what you pick up is part of strength.

fair enough. i'll leave them at home today. my gym doesn't have chalk, i work out at the Y. maybe i'll go buy some - i'm sure it's pretty cheap.

Yes, its cheap. You can get it at most sporting goods stores in the rock climbing section

Well, for one thing, gloves prevent the build up of callouses and tough-skinned hands. Its similar to the moxi pad when squatting.

i've actually gotten compliments on my hands being soft. okay - i'm off to the gym, just in time for the 5 o clock rush to piss me off. thanks guys, hope to learn some more form this thread/forum!

btw - has anyone else seen someone use the moxi pad for bench?

i've actually gotten compliments on my hands being soft. okay - i'm off to the gym, just in time for the 5 o clock rush to piss me off. thanks guys, hope to learn some more form this thread/forum!

btw - has anyone else seen someone use the moxi pad for bench?

It wasnt a compliment.

I used to lift at a Bally Total Fitness. There were two guys who always wore gloves. The first guy was a middle-aged white dude with tiny little legs and a 24" waist who always had a weight belt on to better show off his svelte figure. He didn't ever do anything that required core stabilization, but he damn sure wore that belt every fucking time. The other guy was a flaming homosexual who always wore short shorts and highly revealing tank tops to show off his year-round fake-n-bake tan. He drove around in a bright yellow Honda S2000 with a rainbow license plate frame.

I usually only wear mesh shorts (i lift at home). Sometimes a thick sweatshirt if the bar is digging into my skin on squats.

I do sometimes wrap a towel around the bar on DLs so it doesn't dig into my skin, err, so it is a better grip workout.

Yes, I've seen people use the bar pad. Only excuse for using it is if you're a bony bastard or if it is actually painful.

I used to lift at a Bally Total Fitness. There were two guys who always wore gloves. The first guy was a middle-aged white dude with tiny little legs and a 24" waist who always had a weight belt on to better show off his svelte figure. He didn't ever do anything that required core stabilization, but he damn sure wore that belt every fucking time. The other guy was a flaming homosexual who always wore short shorts and highly revealing tank tops to show off his year-round fake-n-bake tan. He drove around in a bright yellow Honda S2000 with a rainbow license plate frame.

You seem to know an aweful lot about these two guys?:icon_neut

Back