Relationship What do you think of companies using the term "family"

It depends on whether they’re using it to advertise their product to consumers or their company to prospective employees who they intend to hire.

Basically, if they’re advertising to consumers, it means “We agree with whatever you call ‘family values.’”

If they’re advertising to employees, it means “We won’t just lay you off because our CEO didn’t get a $50 million bonus on top of his generous salary this year.”

Either way, they’re lying.

I would believe the phrase back in the day. In this current time no way, they'll say the company is a family without even knowing anyone's name and the team is a bunch of numbers on a spreadsheet.

It's likely bullshit grandstanding and reality is the opposite with no one helping each other and lots of backstabbing, throwing under the bus.

Manipulative corporate nonsense. I was family at a place once, one of the managers even hugged me after my probationary period and another lady (fellow employee) said some shit. Was fucking creepy and made me highly uncomfortable.

Those "family ties" were severed during the crash of '08. Guess it's not all about family.

Every company is a family company until it gets in the way of their personal needs

I think it's harmless and these babies that cry about toxic workplaces are making a big deal out of nothing.

I used to use the term when dealing with an employee who was being a jerk. I would tell him that we spend a lot of time together, it's like a second family, so he needs to make an effort to not get on everyone's nerves.

But I guess some crybabies don't like their boss using the word "family" because you can't fire your family.

But whatever. It's such a loser attitude to even think about things like that. Those of us that actually work hard don't sit around thinking about getting fired. Like it's not even on my radar.

I suppose I may be laid off one day but if it's gonna happen then it's gonna happen. Using the word "family" won't change that and you'd have to be an idiot to think it would.
It's not a family. It's a contract. My time for your money. I want to be treated with respect and as such. you are not my family you are in business with me but you don't like to think of it that way. People are working to feed their kids not to have a second family to worry about.

It's their way of getting you to feel obligated to work more hours without more pay.

It's not a family. It's a contract. My time for your money. I want to be treated with respect and as such. you are not my family you are in business with me but you don't like to think of it that way. People are working to feed their kids not to have a second family to worry about.
And the word is still harmless.

If your employer takes advantage of you then get mad at them for that. Not for using a certain word.

I've had employees tell me they think of me like their father. I didn't cry and accuse them of taking advantage of me.

Everything is used to manipulate down to a coffee machine being provided. Not that big of a deal and its not a bad thing.

Human beings have to work still and until we get to a point there robots are doing everything and we are plug into some kind of matrix with no concept of money then we will continue to find ways to make work more appeasing. Just don't be naïve enough to not understand whats doing on. I still sure as fuck rather have to deal with being called family and getting a free lunch once in a while from a company in 2024 VS some poor fuck thousands of years ago building a pyramid.

To refer to their employees or wider network.

There is a general sense that it is toxic and intended to manipulate employees, particularly lower level employees into accepting a hierarchal structure.

Is it toxic or just meant to be a kind euphemism? It seems to go hand in hand with lower paying jobs and hits as a red flag for manipulation.

Are them your family?

Worst thing is when ceo comes and start talkimg about projections and money and forecast amd family amd then few weeks later we are moving production to other city

I think it's harmless and these babies that cry about toxic workplaces are making a big deal out of nothing.

I used to use the term when dealing with an employee who was being a jerk. I would tell him that we spend a lot of time together, it's like a second family, so he needs to make an effort to not get on everyone's nerves.

But I guess some crybabies don't like their boss using the word "family" because you can't fire your family.

But whatever. It's such a loser attitude to even think about things like that. Those of us that actually work hard don't sit around thinking about getting fired. Like it's not even on my radar.

I suppose I may be laid off one day but if it's gonna happen then it's gonna happen. Using the word "family" won't change that and you'd have to be an idiot to think it would.
It is not calling somebody family if it is true but you know they do not mean it not even in million years but expect you to have smile on and be exited by their lies and unlike them take it seriously that company is my family

Back