Relationship What do you think of companies using the term "family"

I think it's harmless and these babies that cry about toxic workplaces are making a big deal out of nothing.

I used to use the term when dealing with an employee who was being a jerk. I would tell him that we spend a lot of time together, it's like a second family, so he needs to make an effort to not get on everyone's nerves.

But I guess some crybabies don't like their boss using the word "family" because you can't fire your family.

But whatever. It's such a loser attitude to even think about things like that. Those of us that actually work hard don't sit around thinking about getting fired. Like it's not even on my radar.

I suppose I may be laid off one day but if it's gonna happen then it's gonna happen. Using the word "family" won't change that and you'd have to be an idiot to think it would.
I get your point but maybe you are overreacting. I criticise it because i find it annoying, not because i am mad about it.

When I taught elementary school I always told my kids that I considered them family and that our school was our home away from home. The parents and the kids liked that.

Family members usually (most often) do things for each other free of charge.

If a company starts using the term "family" for its employees, usually the management expects the employees to work for free or for as little compensaion as possible.
Well I'll complain when they tell me to work for free, but not when they call me family

Nah it s just soulless, random corporate virtue signalling like all the rest.
There are some small businesses that are family oriented.​

I have a really sweet lady on the team who always refers to us as her “work
family” and that shit always makes me cringe. I almost feel sorry for people who think that shit.
Some people don't have one, and in some cases being a part of a family can feel good.

Usually i think race cars and male pattern baldness
<mma4>

To refer to their employees or wider network.

There is a general sense that it is toxic and intended to manipulate employees, particularly lower level employees into accepting a hierarchal structure.

Is it toxic or just meant to be a kind euphemism? It seems to go hand in hand with lower paying jobs and hits as a red flag for manipulation.
Everything is manipulation. I don't mind it being used on corporate level. If you are happy there go for it.

Better than working in the mines. If you are a pleb. We all lie and use big sentiments to get to our goals if it's in private or on publical level.

It's up to each own if thy want to be a part of that.

Then I'll be the Black Sheep of the Family...

<EdgyBrah>

They don't use the term, "employees" anymore. They started using "Team Members."

They also stopped using the term, "Supervisor." They started using, "Team Leader."

Walmart is the first thing that comes to mind.

I’m with you on this one TS. Another phrase that I have grown to strongly dislike in the workplace is “team”. It’s usually brought up when higher management asks us to do something unpleasant, outside of our work scope, or something they don’t want to do. We’re all a team here right Apostle? Sure we are. I guess that means you can go confront the homeless person throwing poop at the windows then instead of one of us. Why are you calling me?

Generally my take on it depends if it's intended to manipulate someone into doing more for less, or if it's a ham fisted simile. Sometimes someone is innocently trying to describe a culture where everyone mostly gets along and plays their part. It's still stupid.

I've worked in actual family business and people are usually extra horrible to their relatives, but they are well compensated.

IMO every time your boss refers to the staff as a "family" you should be entitled to a 1% equity position.

I think it's harmless and these babies that cry about toxic workplaces are making a big deal out of nothing.

I used to use the term when dealing with an employee who was being a jerk. I would tell him that we spend a lot of time together, it's like a second family, so he needs to make an effort to not get on everyone's nerves.

But I guess some crybabies don't like their boss using the word "family" because you can't fire your family.

But whatever. It's such a loser attitude to even think about things like that. Those of us that actually work hard don't sit around thinking about getting fired. Like it's not even on my radar.

I suppose I may be laid off one day but if it's gonna happen then it's gonna happen. Using the word "family" won't change that and you'd have to be an idiot to think it would.
I always liken it to a second/extended family, cause it really is. Some companies/execs use "family" to exploit employees to work for less, or nothing in certain cases, which I think is bullshit.

I pay my employees fairly and competitively, and always respect their time. I can't please everyone naturally, but I try to accommodate their needs and ensure they at least feel heard. Most go above and beyond for me, just as I do for them. We're a smaller business, so it's easier to manage, but so long as you have the right managers in place, I don't see why this approach can't be scaled up. There are a lot of greedy employers with poor social skills.

There is a general sense that it is toxic and intended to manipulate employees, particularly lower level employees into accepting a hierarchal structure.

Is it toxic or just meant to be a kind euphemism? It seems to go hand in hand with lower paying jobs and hits as a red flag for manipulation.

It's corporate jargon bullshit speak and should be ignored.

When I taught elementary school I always told my kids that I considered them family and that our school was our home away from home. The parents and the kids liked that.

Thats different you are not actively trying to harm the children. Its a public school, with some exceptions(like standardized tests) the overwhelming focus is helping them learn. Corporations are actively trying to steal workers surplus value and will economically ruin them the moment they are not beneficial to the business. Its enemys trying to frame themselves as something else.

Its not that people don't want a 2nd family or aren't lonely its the insincerity of it. Its why Michaels employees were so annoyed when he called them a family in the Office even though Michael was as wonderful a capitalist boss imaginable. Because he was in charge of the situation and wanted to be there it was easy for him to make proclamations about how this was his family but to everyone else thats just a predator gaslighting.

It's manipulation.

Funny manipulation, in a dark comedy sort of way, when you see people go from family to mass firings.

They don't use the term, "employees" anymore. They started using "Team Members."

They also stopped using the term, "Supervisor." They started using, "Team Leader."
And now it's not rules or procedures it's "following the company culture." :rolleyes:

Back