Relationship What do you think of companies using the term "family"

It’s bullshit. Even in great places to work , where everybody is buds , it s not a natural thing. You’re forced to be together to live and to make money for company . Period . End of story.

You are family until you are laid off
This quote actually reminds me of my soon to be ex wife. I just found out yesterday that she's no longer at her company and neither is her boss (HR director) who I think she was having an emotional affair with. She moved to his department early Fall and both are already gone. There whole mission/job was "upholding the company culture" and it was the fakest bullshit. It was like "this isn't just a job, we'll give you purpose and fulfillment", "here's our mission statement", "where hiring for people that have values aligned with us", "all new hires go through mandatory culture training", "fostering relationships on trust and vulnerability".

It was like something you'd see in a marine recruitment video. "Company culture" is real big in my area, basically let's hype up a unfulfilling office job like accounts payable and make you feel valued and cherished !!

Its even worse when the company uses the term "Family owned" Sure, some Family owns the company, but nobody in that family ever steps foot in their 20+ store chains unless its a grand opening for their 21st store.
Yes im speaking from personal experience.

Company culture is trash for the most part. I've never been movitvated to pull more weight so someone else can do less or so that someone can be the sole benefactor(upper management) of said effort. I'm motivated by better pay, more vacation time, and better benefits. Of course I'd like to see my coworkers succeed but being called a family? No thanks.

Company culture is trash for the most part. I've never been movitvated to pull more weight so someone else can do less or so that someone can be the sole benefactor(upper management) of said effort. I'm motivated by better pay, more vacation time, and better benefits. Of course I'd like to see my coworkers succeed but being called a family? No thanks.
My wife works for one of these "family owned" companies. When she left her previous job to take this one she took it for a $3/hr increase. She also got $250 holiday bonus. A few years later they sold to another "family owned" company. Now instead of a $250 holiday bonus, everyone gets a free Holiday Ham, Yay! Lets just say, my wife no longer cares about being the top bakery in the region.
Listen, i get it, they are not obligated to honor that $250 holiday bonus like the previous company, but dont insult the employees with a fucking $10 ham. And don't expect them to give a shit about going above and beyond with holiday sales.

My wife works for one of these "family owned" companies. When she left her previous job to take this one she took it for a $3/hr increase. She also got $250 holiday bonus. A few years later they sold to another "family owned" company. Now instead of a $250 holiday bonus, everyone gets a free Holiday Ham, Yay! Lets just say, my wife no longer cares about being the top bakery in the region.
Listen, i get it, they are not obligated to honor that $250 holiday bonus like the previous company, but dont insult the employees with a fucking $10 ham. And don't expect them to give a shit about going above and beyond with holiday sales.

We got socks with our company logo plastered all over them for Christmas last year. This most recent Xmas we got nothing. There's pretty much no incentive to work hard or be overly productive aside from just trying to keep your job......which shouldn't be too hard since we had a girl working for us for about 4 months who committed Medicare fraud daily and wasn't fired until she put a patient directly in harms way.

Last edited:
My CEO says that because it's true. It's a 100 employee company, that's family owned. They treat us very well. My company has been voted in the top 100 best workplaces in San Diego for three years in a row.

We got socks with our company logo plastered all over them for Christmas last year. This most recent Xmas we got nothing. There's pretty much no incentive to work hard or be overly productive aside from just trying to keep your job......which shouldn't be too hard since we had a girl working for us for about 4 months who committed Medicare fraud daily and wasn't fired until shit put a patient directly in harms way.
My wife made them $5000 dollars 3 years ago making chocolate covered strawberries on valentines day weekend by dipping them and drizzling all kinds of chocolates right when they walk in the front door. This was during covid and they had a station with plexiglass ( my wifes idea ). When the new company took over they over priced the strawberries and ordered too many and took a loss last year. Its funny because my wife lost her ability to order when the new company took over. So that loss was all their fault.

To refer to their employees or wider network.

There is a general sense that it is toxic and intended to manipulate employees, particularly lower level employees into accepting a hierarchal structure.

Is it toxic or just meant to be a kind euphemism? It seems to go hand in hand with lower paying jobs and hits as a red flag for manipulation.
my workplace is less toxic than most families

Hate it.

I work so I get paid.

Anytime you hear the words family, work hard play hard or looking for a superstar unicorn, you run.

It only has meaning in small privately owned business where the size of the employees are more or less family sized.

To refer to their employees or wider network.

There is a general sense that it is toxic and intended to manipulate employees, particularly lower level employees into accepting a hierarchal structure.

Is it toxic or just meant to be a kind euphemism? It seems to go hand in hand with lower paying jobs and hits as a red flag for manipulation.

Companies like to bandy about terms like family or team when it suits them.

I make a point with myself never to call the guys who work for me “family”. It’s important to have a close knit group with a lot of team building but pizza parties and calling everyone family is almost a parody of itself now

torreto.jpg
Is he in the Millenium Falcon.. da fuq? :S

Back