What Do You Think About During Lifting?

I think about the same stuff while working out that I do any other time of the day... usually about chicks I wanna bang or w/e

I chat on msn/aim a lot in between sets, too..

Ah man you are the "text and flex "guy? Tsk tsk

I'm real OCD, so I'm usually thinking about some form issue. If not, I'm trying to just "be in the moment" and try hard.

One approach that has NOT worked for me is getting mad, thinking about things that anger me, etc. And I'm a fairly angry person. It just felt like an act, and it distracted me rather than making me fired up.

I'm not criticizing anyone else who uses this approach, I'm sure it can be helpful. I'm just saying, it didn't work for me.

I'm real OCD, so I'm usually thinking about some form issue. If not, I'm trying to just "be in the moment" and try hard.

One approach that has NOT worked for me is getting mad, thinking about things that anger me, etc. And I'm a fairly angry person. It just felt like an act, and it distracted me rather than making me fired up.

I'm not criticizing anyone else who uses this approach, I'm sure it can be helpful. I'm just saying, it didn't work for me.

From talking to other lifters at the gym, and from the little bit I know about sports psychology, it seems that there are two types of lifters. Those who lift calmly, focusing on technique, or some mental que, and those who get angry and worked up. Ideally a person would be both calm and angry during big lifts...but that's tricky.

Ah man you are the "text and flex "guy? Tsk tsk

Yeh.. no reason not to really. I don't have any "rituals" to get myself into the grove when I lift and I am diligent about taking at least 3 minutes and usually more toward 5 minutes between sets.

I just pace up and down and get my self all crazy and then get under the bar people in my gym prob think im nuts.

When I'm doing squats I sometimes think 'This would be easier if I was a bear...'

Don't know if it helps or not.

LOL how did I miss this? Outstanding. A lot of things would be easier as a bear. Think about it. Need to go to the mall and shop but you hate crowds? Well as a bear you wouldn't have that problem. Have to go to the DMV but you hate long lines? As a bear long lines disappear. I imagine Walmart would stay the same though.

Getting psyched up I try to stay positive. Anger works like 10% of the time, and happiness the other 90% for me. So I think about good times with friends, past accomplishments, etc. During the lift most of that fades, and I think largely about form cues, and advice I've been given. Usually helps if I can visualize friends giving the advice during the lift.

For higher assistance reps I'm usually just focused on keeping count.

For heavier sets I'm usually looking at the weights before lifting thinking "Look at those fucking weights right there. They want to move but no in this gym is fucking man enough to do so. Guess I'm gonna have to Hulk up and move that shit, they ain't gonna move themselves."

Then I proceed to curl 25 lb dumbells for 50+ reps so I can be jackid like a broski.

Back