What Do You Think About During Lifting?

Big H

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Technique? Breathing? Anger? Dedicating reps to people?

When running I think of hunting of the kalahari people who chase animals, or think of being chased by the police.

With lifting for reps of 1-3, I just concentrate on form, but for longer sets I have to think of random shit.

Reason I make this is just to get ideas for inspiration.

When I perform squats, I do think about lifting huge objects like rocks or a car. It helps

I think about all the chicks I'm going to impress with my hot bod.

*Flexes*

I focus on the technique and going through the motion.

I have zoned off about random stuff while lifting and had some pretty big fails. So I focus 100% on the exercise.

I think about lifting. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic that's pretty much all that's going through my mind. There's probably a few form cues going through my head but otherwise I'm just focused on the lift.

Edit: Sometimes I think about heavy/light the rep feel and if that's good or bad.

Last edited:
I remind myself that each rep brings me closer to my goal. Occasionally I think about lifting the weight equivalent of what's on the bar in everyday objects like beer kegs, kind of like what michaelcp4 is doing.

I think about lifting. Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic that's pretty much all that's going through my mind. There's probably a few form cues going through my head but otherwise I'm just focused on the lift.

Edit: Sometimes I think about heavy/light the rep feel and if that's good or bad.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Nothing else on my mind really. Even though sometimes I'll have music blasting in my ears for a heavy set I don't even hear the music, I just know that it's there pumping me up. Sometimes I get out from under the bar after squatting and forget what happened.

As boring and obvious as it sounds, I think to myself that, the next time I do this, I'm going to be able to have more weight on the bar.

I clear my mind, same as I do during meditation and a variety of other activities. I clear it as much as possible while being aware of my breath, and the rate/technique of my lifting.

I think about my next fight, how awesome it will be to big the bigger guy in the cage, to clinch up and know I am stronger right away. and about my opponet I hope he is being lazy at home I see him on the coach watching cable with his gf neither if which I have. But oddly enough I pray for him I want him to be happy content and blessed leading into our match, I don't want his life a mess or things going bad maybe so they will be complacent maybe just cause I'm a pussy. I don't know but it makes me relaxed when I see them and I fight better as a result.

Technique? Breathing? Anger? Dedicating reps to people?

When running I think of hunting of the kalahari people who chase animals, or think of being chased by the police.

With lifting for reps of 1-3, I just concentrate on form, but for longer sets I have to think of random shit.

Reason I make this is just to get ideas for inspiration.

lmao^

anyways, whenever i need a gut check while running, i just pretend my i parked my car in street sweeping. usually does the trick. i can go 0 to 60 fast then a mother fucker

also, when squat or deadlifting, try thinking that ur mama or a loved one is trapped under a tree and you have to lift it off of her

I am thinking about purely form, except for my heaviest sets. Then I am pacing, getting my breathing right, muttering curses at the bar under my breath, asking it if it is upset about the fact that it is helpless to keep itself from being lifted, despite it's weight. When I'm in the hole on squats and its really heavy, I think about how the bar belongs on the rack and I can't not think about Adam Sandler in Happy Gilmour saying "ARE YOU TOO GOOD FOR YOUR HOME??" to the golf ball.

I usually change up what I think about like when doing a new progression in my weights like squatting 21o from 200 last week for example. All think about all my muscles tensing up and focusing on moving that bar to the sky. Or when doing more bodyweight oriented stuff all think about exploding on each movement like pullups for instance all try and think of the floor being on fire and I'm trying to pull as hard as possible to get a high as possible.

I think about my progress and my goals, but sometimes if im having trouble on the last rep I think about something that pisses me off or get angry at the weights for not moving, and it actually helps.

I aggressively vocalize the word "UP" in my mind every rep. Sometimes if i feel weak during a set i think "Doubt out, Win in". I never visualize anything, just vocalizations.

form and breathing come naturally to me so I try to keep the "mind/muscle connection" throughout all my reps, visualizing the muscle working and in cases like back work for instance, during pulldowns and rows, I think about my elbows pulling the weight and my hands are just hooks...it really helps you feel the set a lot better

and of course, every once in a while, an ex-gf's face comes to mind, for some reason, this is usually while i'm doing pullups

I just imagine my muscle growing with every rep and tell myself that every rep counts. When i'm running i think about all sorts of random shit but when i'm sprinting/hill-sprinting, i imagine I'm catching a dude who just killed a little kid or somethin like that lol.

When I'm doing squats I sometimes think 'This would be easier if I was a bear...'

Don't know if it helps or not.

Sometimes it's, "Did I turn off the iron?" Or, "I think I'll get a puppy". Depends on the day.

Back