What do you do when you have a terrible day of training?

same thing I do on other days... go home and go to bed... although I preempt that with bitching to my girlfriend about how I had a bad day training. I'm sure it's about as entertaining to her as me talking about how happy I was with any other day's training though.

Sometimes, though, the days where you suck are the days you learn the most. So they are good days after all... it just doesn't feel like it at the time.

although I preempt that with bitching to my girlfriend about how I had a bad day training. I'm sure it's about as entertaining to her as me talking about how happy I was with any other day's training though.

Lol, I know my girlfriend couldn't care less also when I talk about how class went but for some reason I still ramble on for 10-15 minutes. I guess its payback for when she gossips about her coworkers.

I felt like total shit and was gassing out hard. I think its from eating crappy yesterday. Maybe I should drink more water tomorrow as well.

I felt like total shit and was gassing out hard. I think its from eating crappy yesterday. Maybe I should drink more water tomorrow as well.

Before you go trying all that better diet and more water stuff, have you tried beating the shit out of your wife yet?

Weep like a nun and then sign up at a kung fu school.

I guess it's up to me to give the pretentious answer, quoting Jigoro Kano...

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat."

Easier said than done, though :icon_chee

Lol, I know my girlfriend couldn't care less also when I talk about how class went but for some reason I still ramble on for 10-15 minutes. I guess its payback for when she gossips about her coworkers.

exactly. I mean, she's incredibly supportive of my jiu jitsu lifestyle and pays attention when I talk about it, but I know she's not hanging on my every word when I'm explaining why my guard game isn't developing as much as I'd like.

doesn't matter if you have a bad day, everyone does, just matters if you quit or continue

How bad was it, did you tap to a 35kg, 11 year old girl with no arms or legs on her first day of training.

Did you tap to a white belt who was bragging about a technique which you have constantly been saying will never work.

Anyway, I don't think you should feel bad about one days bad training. If it was lasting for a couple of weeks, then get worried. Many times its just your training partners have worked out your game so what you normally do doesn't work as well anymore. So you are having to work harder and probably using more strength leading to you gassing quicker.

There are days when you just can't explain whats wrong. A brown belt tapped me out at least 3 times in 6 minutes, he asked me what was wrong. He always taps me out, just not that many times to simple stuff.

I think it's normal that you have better and worse days. Sometime I roll with purples without getting tapped, the next week they totally destroy me. It's all about your daily shape and about being 100% focused in training. When you got other stuff going on in your mind your not going to be 100%.

My girlfriend always asks me how training was. Sometimes she gives me a massage when my back hurts. I got surgery on my right knee last week and now she is doing almost everything for me.

Yes, she's a wonderful person.

Boogies-mustache_thumb.jpg

That's right! Problem solved. Happy to help.

I view my bad days as me being "lost."

Ever heard of a saying that goes something like this .. "When you're lost is when you truly find yourself"

I live my bad days on this quote and just see it as something you need to contemplate about and correct errors so that the next training session, you could have a different plan for improvement. It may not always go the way you envision it to be but it's better to be aware of your mistakes then ignoring them by just "letting things happen" without putting any thought into it.

Honestly, I think the best thing to do is just shrug and move on to your next training session. Grappling is a lot like life... some days are good; some days are bad. Don't let it get to you, and you will be fine. If you try to track down every variable that you think made it a "bad" day, you will make yourself crazy. Bad days make the good ones that much more enjoyable. Yin/Yang, Brother.

Bad day: Go home, make a drink, shower, eat some dinner, watch a game.
Good day: Go home, make a drink, shower, eat some dinner, watch a game.

Bad day: Go home, make a drink, shower, eat some dinner, watch a game.
Good day: Go home, make a drink, shower, eat some dinner, watch a game.

Exactly. Just let it go no matter what happens. Like someone said above, whether you had a good day or bad day is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether you push through it or give up.

Like Prof Sauer says, "A black belt is just a white belt that never quit".

Back