• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What Did You Cook Today? Photo Thread

Nice. I grew up eating that. Kare raisu and tonkatsu were introduced from the Portuguese.

Oh wow that’s quite interesting! From India by way of Portugal. That’s fascinating that intercontinental commerce brought it there

Thanks TS, this is a good thread and your steak in the OP looks absolutely amazing.

The last 10 years I’ve focused on smoking, and grilling, and with the hazard of sounding arrogant I’ve got some skills. The last few years I’ve been asked to cater around locally, and every time the events have produced more requests for my services.

Anyways, thanks for the thread and I’ll be contributing soon. In fact tomorrow for the big game I’m going to smoke 2 racks of baby back ribs. It’s almost muscle memory at this point.

I bet it’s going to be glorious! The Super Bowl is the the Super Bowl of hosting parties. Can’t wait for the photos

top one makes me wish i could reach through my screen and grab it

it was really yummy! I can’t wait to make it again

A few months ago I posted about how I wanted to do a brisket egg fried rice bowl in the WR.

Started with bacon instead. Brisket is next.

Eggs
Potato
Bacon
Onion
Scallion

View attachment 968063 View attachment 968064 View attachment 968065

bro that looks so damn good!!!! Brisket!!!???? Yes please

The other month a forum buddy encouraged me to make Carne Guisada a Mexican dish, sort of like a beef stew but thicker that you can serve on flour tortillas, with rice, or alone as a stew.

I’ve never cooked anything Mexican or Tex-Mex before so I was a little intimidated. Over the weeks, probably closer to 2 months, I’ve been looking at recipe after recipe.

First I had to select a good chuck roast with good marbling. The best one happened to be on the smaller size but that’s fine, it’s usually just for my gf and I. Then I had to get Mexican oregano and cumin or “comino” in Spanish. I’ve never used either of the two, so I was eager to taste it first before cooking with it.

SjB5jIz.jpg

before:

Mj2fkDR.jpg

After:

qIuTrMx.jpg

For the oil, I decided to use the beat oil on the world bacon fat!!!!

fSXH5GV.jpg

In most Carne Guisada recipes, they lightly browned the meat but I wanted to get some serious Maillard Reaction going and build a nice fond. I used the method of searing the whole roast all

At once instead of cutting it up, in order to limit the amount of water that would be expelled and counteracting the caramelization I was going for. But I’m sure if I had a high powered stove like some of you guys, I could’ve cooked off water easily and quickly. I let it rest a bit and then I cut it up.

05DjAYQ.jpg

jz7pxrl.mp4

It’s all about the spices! I mixed it up a bit. The spices I used were: cumin, Mexican oregano, paprika, ancho chili powder, salt and pepper. I used minced garlic, but I’m thinking garlic powder would probably be better. There’s also onion and bell pepper in there with a tomato.

mpW9s8l.jpg

So most of the comments I read from the recipe blogs, had a lot of comments about how it was supposed to be like a gravy and thick not loose and soupy. I went a little overboard because my potatoes broke down and made it thicker than I had wanted. Potatoes were optional but my gf loves them so I added them.

BAQlk4y.jpg

For sides we had corn salsa and Mexican rice and we ate the Carne Guisada as tacos. The corn salsa was really easy- a can of corn, half a red onion, a jalapeño, cilantro, and 1 lime.

RexnCw8.jpg

xjAZadi.jpg

The other month a forum buddy encouraged me to make Carne Guisada a Mexican dish, sort of like a beef stew but thicker that you can serve on flour tortillas, with rice, or alone as a stew.

I’ve never cooked anything Mexican or Tex-Mex before so I was a little intimidated. Over the weeks, probably closer to 2 months, I’ve been looking at recipe after recipe.

First I had to select a good chuck roast with good marbling. The best one happened to be on the smaller size but that’s fine, it’s usually just for my gf and I. Then I had to get Mexican oregano and cumin or “comino” in Spanish. I’ve never used either of the two, so I was eager to taste it first before cooking with it.

SjB5jIz.jpg

before:

Mj2fkDR.jpg

After:

qIuTrMx.jpg

For the oil, I decided to use the beat oil on the world bacon fat!!!!

fSXH5GV.jpg

In most Carne Guisada recipes, they lightly browned the meat but I wanted to get some serious Maillard Reaction going and build a nice fond. I used the method of searing the whole roast all

At once instead of cutting it up, in order to limit the amount of water that would be expelled and counteracting the caramelization I was going for. But I’m sure if I had a high powered stove like some of you guys, I could’ve cooked off water easily and quickly. I let it rest a bit and then I cut it up.

05DjAYQ.jpg

jz7pxrl.mp4

It’s all about the spices! I mixed it up a bit. The spices I used were: cumin, Mexican oregano, paprika, ancho chili powder, salt and pepper. I used minced garlic, but I’m thinking garlic powder would probably be better. There’s also onion and bell pepper in there with a tomato.

mpW9s8l.jpg

So most of the comments I read from the recipe blogs, had a lot of comments about how it was supposed to be like a gravy and thick not loose and soupy. I went a little overboard because my potatoes broke down and made it thicker than I had wanted. Potatoes were optional but my gf loves them so I added them.

BAQlk4y.jpg

For sides we had corn salsa and Mexican rice and we ate the Carne Guisada as tacos. The corn salsa was really easy- a can of corn, half a red onion, a jalapeño, cilantro, and 1 lime.

RexnCw8.jpg

xjAZadi.jpg

Well done

Looks bomb

Today, I’d like to introduce you folks to a dish that’s near and dear to me. It’s a stew from Vietnam- a French stew with a Vietnamese twist such as- lemongrass, star anise, coconut juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, and Chinese 5 spice

I usually cook on the weekends and I love stews but they take too long to cook. I found a great deal on a new pressure cooker so I took the plunge. Normally this stew takes 2 hours but I was able to do in 1 hour, only 38 mins of pressured cooking. Everything came out tender.

x3C6mkv.jpg

This is the calf muscle or beef banana shank
dpMF8Lc.jpg

I had lots of tough cuts in there, beef shank and tendons. I got 10 out of 10 scores, so high marks on this one.

QdP6The.jpg

This is the recipe I worked off of: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-bo-kho/#recipe

Today I invite you to voyage with me to The Land of the Rising Sun, Japan. We’re going to make and enjoy a quick and easy comfort dish- Oyakodon. Basically a teriyaki chicken bowl with egg and onions.

The sauce: Japanese cooking wine, soy sauce, sugar, Dashi stock (fish stock)

Protein: chicken thighs cut cross grain (along with simmering it until done, thus step will make the chicken very tender)

292IsrG.jpg

AFw2SBW.jpg

v94EyjQ.jpg

Topped with Japanese 7 spice (adds salvor, heat and texture- it has roasted sesame seeds!) and a Japanese seaweed rice seasoning, furikake

M6PQfZ9.jpg

My ultimate goal is cook a killer pot of Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodles). For my first foray into Pho I decided to make it easy and use an Instant Pot and cook Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Noodles), because there’s less ingredients and half the cooking time.
bpNQzOQ.jpg

Toasting the Coriander, Cloves, and Chinese cinnamon

cW49Fdg.jpg

Now the rest of the aromatics- onion and ginger

EbEC5lq.jpg

All the ingredients in the pot! In addition the ingredients above, I added a bunch of cilantro and green onions. I had no room in the pot so I stuffed it all up the chicken! I added a Fuji apple and sea salt. This cooked under low pressure for 15 mins.

3N4BbpQ.jpg

Served up with all the table side seasonings

nQx1uoO.jpg

My ultimate goal is cook a killer pot of Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodles). For my first foray into Pho I decided to make it easy and use an Instant Pot and cook Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Noodles), because there’s less ingredients and half the cooking time.
bpNQzOQ.jpg

Toasting the Coriander, Cloves, and Chinese cinnamon

cW49Fdg.jpg

Now the rest of the aromatics- onion and ginger

EbEC5lq.jpg

All the ingredients in the pot! In addition the ingredients above, I added a bunch of cilantro and green onions. I had no room in the pot so I stuffed it all up the chicken! I added a Fuji apple and sea salt. This cooked under low pressure for 15 mins.

3N4BbpQ.jpg

Served up with all the table side seasonings

nQx1uoO.jpg

dope!

a did a 3lb turkey breast in the smoker yesterday and fucke dit up big time. It was no where near to temp when it should have been done ad by the time i finished it, it looked disgusting. not sure what went wrong

a did a 3lb turkey breast in the smoker yesterday and fucke dit up big time. It was no where near to temp when it should have been done ad by the time i finished it, it looked disgusting. not sure what went wrong

smoking meats is a whole new level, I’ve never tried

Mdae my fiancé lobster thermidor for her bday yesterday.

lobs.jpg

Last edited:
I just threw some jizzlers on the grill. Didn’t bother taking a pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back