• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What Did You Cook Today? Photo Thread

thanks brother, I love artichokes but I haven’t cooked them yet. I do love those marinated ones that comes in a jar lol. When I’m in doubt I always go with olive oil, a good amount of salt, pepper and if need be- lemon. That usually makes anything edible lol

I was thinking the same thing lol. Too long

Whoa that looks incredible! A1 is bomb though! Lol that waiter didn’t want a good tip with that attitude lol

That’s the only good thing about the pandemic, some people came out with a new attitude, perspective and skills

I neee to learn how to smoke. I don’t know anything about just that it makes good brisket

that is 100% true! My Filipina friend reminded me of that lol

Good question I forgot to mention that my stovetop burner is small and it doesn’t heat up the castiron evenly, so I heat it up in the oven so that the entire bottom surface of the skillet is hot and ready to cook. If I was cooking one steak then it’s not an issue but since I was cooking two I wanted to make sure the entire surface was heated evenly.

Bravo! I need that set up (sound vide and Big Green Egg)! Reverse sear is the way to go perfect steaks. The Big Green Egg is on my wishlist

Cooking is such a good way to showing loved ones that you care about them. Good on you brother. Father son bonding

Big green egg was not in my budget so I got the 26” Weber with a slow n sear charcoal separator for $500. It’s big enough for indirect cooking and smoking and the slow n sear let’s you set it up for smoking/low temp 12 hour cooks.

Big green egg was not in my budget so I got the 26” Weber with a slow n sear charcoal separator for $500. It’s big enough for indirect cooking and smoking and the slow n sear let’s you set it up for smoking/low temp 12 hour cooks.

I’m going to look into that, I really want to learn how to smoke some brisket

I worked at a steakhouse for a bit. The key to a lot of good dishes is a lot of butter. People would be amazed at how much butter is used at a restaurant. At my local pizza joint, they coat the entire crust in liquefied butter.

Haven’t tried a brisket yet but have nailed some pork butt and ribs on it. Brisket so damn expensive.

The price of gas and food is killing me

I worked at a steakhouse for a bit. The key to a lot of good dishes is a lot of butter. People would be amazed at how much butter is used at a restaurant. At my local pizza joint, they coat the entire crust in liquefied butter.

very true I’ve heard the same thing. Lots of butter and salt

Roasted Chicken with Vegetables

First I spatchcocked the chicken by removing the spine (saving it in the freezer with the giblets). I don’t have heavy duty kitchen sheers so I decided to use one of my favorite knives made out of 1095 high carbon steel. It went through the bones really easily.

It was pretty easy removing the spine and then opening up the bird and located the keel bone. Made a few incisions and removed it so that the chicken will lie flatter for more even cooking

we tried an organic air chilled chicken for the first time and it came out really good. We left it outside to get to room temperature. Heavily seasoned it with salt, oil and poultry seasoning. Cut vegetables pretty big so they wouldn’t burn in the oven. Pretty basic medley- carrots, celery, onions, and elephant garlic. Coated it all with olive oil and an herb mix.

350 oven and it took an hour and 10 mins, last ten mins I had the oven at 400 to brown the skin

skin came out so flavorful and salty, the chicken meat was juicy, and the veggies were caramelized and sweet- the carrots tasted like candy! The garlic was mild and fragrant. For anyone who doesn’t like vegetables, try roasting them in chicken fat- it’s changes the game!

next time I want to do a salt brine

SyXQ1iw.jpg

Q3vAwHC.jpg

R9ZRqPf.jpg

Roasted Chicken with Vegetables

First I spatchcocked the chicken by removing the spine (saving it in the freezer with the giblets). I don’t have heavy duty kitchen sheers so I decided to use one of my favorite knives made out of 1095 high carbon steel. It went through the bones really easily.

It was pretty easy removing the spine and then opening up the bird and located the keel bone. Made a few incisions and removed it so that the chicken will lie flatter for more even cooking

we tried an organic air chilled chicken for the first time and it came out really good. We left it outside to get to room temperature. Heavily seasoned it with salt, oil and poultry seasoning. Cut vegetables pretty big so they wouldn’t burn in the oven. Pretty basic medley- carrots, celery, onions, and elephant garlic. Coated it all with olive oil and an herb mix.

350 oven and it took an hour and 10 mins, last ten mins I had the oven at 400 to brown the skin

skin came out so flavorful and salty, the chicken meat was juicy, and the veggies were caramelized and sweet- the carrots tasted like candy! The garlic was mild and fragrant. For anyone who doesn’t like vegetables, try roasting them in chicken fat- it’s changes the game!

next time I want to do a salt brine

SyXQ1iw.jpg

Q3vAwHC.jpg

R9ZRqPf.jpg

Dry brine is definitely the way to go with poultry. Wet-brine makes the flesh lose texture and get a little saw-dusty, makes the skin less crispy, and IMO and takes away the chicken flavor.

Always dry-brine my thanksgiving turkey for 2-3 days.

Dry brine is definitely the way to go with poultry. Wet-brine makes the flesh lose texture and get a little saw-dusty, makes the skin less crispy, and IMO and takes away the chicken flavor.

Always dry-brine my thanksgiving turkey for 2-3 days.

that makes a lot of sense, that’s for that tip!

I’m making Sunday dinner later: shepherds pie, roasted veggies and garlic mushrooms

wish me luck!

Shepherds Pie (cheated w/ instant mashed potatoes)

I love Shepherds Pie and this one came out ok, not as deep and savory as I would have liked. I will try again. It was filling and hearty! I’ll use Kent Rollins recipe next time, as was recommended to me.

browning the lamb
py0EPls.jpg

Made a garlic butter mushroom side
WZBruMD.jpg

I couldn’t get the top to brown and it was getting late so we ate it as is.

MCD0ANK.jpg

tV03d0k.jpg

It’s been chilly lately and I’ve been craving a hearty soup to warm up my bones. I found a really easy bratwurst soup recipe and I thought adding some southern style drop dumplings would make an awesome meal so I gave it a try.

Bratwurst Soup w/ Vegetables and Southern Style Drop Dumplings

Really simple, everything on its on already is delicious. Beer bratwurst (crumbled), potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, garlic and beef broth. At the end add salt, pepper and if need be- chicken or beef bouillon cubes. Season to taste

nWHWYkq.jpg

Brown the meat and build a fond
HzHmWnV.jpg

Add all the ingredients:
weVOYgs.jpg

After 20 mins:
ygJcU7j.jpg

Simple drop dumplings mix:
DM5RG73.jpg

v4Lvy3r.mp4

04ZEY6z.jpg

HW7nh4l.jpg

Good eating:

wcfs1Mu.jpg

Last edited:
I made a Vietnamese dish tonight- “Shaken Beef s/ mushrooms on top of a baby spinach salad.”

I used 3 ribeyes and marinated it with salt, pepper, oyster sauce, low sodium soy sauce, dark soy sauce, mirin, fish sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic

it’s all cooked with green onion, mushrooms, a red onion, and garlic.

It’s supposed to be served on watercress but I couldn’t find any so I used baby spinach and added cucumbers. I used a lime, salt and pepper dressing.

h8F8dM7.jpg

dVYHKUL.jpg

I am going to copy this. I spent like 13 dollars twice a week for this on rice.

[Updates at the bottom of the thread]

Ever since the pandemic, I had to learn how to cook for myself. At first it was because restaurants were closed and lockdowns. Then it was because I wanted to save money. Now it’s because I’ve moved to a place where the food options are extremely limited and I have to drive quite a bit to get a good meal.

ever since I started cooking I’ve found out it was fun and it helped show people around me that I care about them. Cooking now has become a fun hobby, a passion you could say.

Butter basted NY Strip Steak with garlic and rosemary

I
found some well marbled NY steaks at the market and pulled out my cast iron skillet. While the steaks were getting to room temp, I had the skillet in the oven getting hot. Heavily seasoned with salt and pepper, basted in Kerrygold butter, garlic and rosemary.

VcIIp7a.jpg

Looks amazing. I would pay for a plate like that. Good job. Can you give the recipe please?

Looks amazing. I would pay for a plate like that. Good job. Can you give the recipe please?

For sure my friend!

Find a steak with lots of fat marbling in the meat, and pick a cut like Ribeye or NY strip. Many good cuts but those are my fav.

i would really suggest a instant read thermometer.

This guess you a rough idea of time and temperature:

FvAAT13.jpg

You have to factor in “carryover” heat, so I’d you’re shooting for medium rare (130 degrees) then you have to take it off the pan at 120 or 123 degree.

Take the steak out of the fridge for 30 mins to bring it to room temperature, so that it’s not too cold inside when you start cooking it.

salt it well and cover the sides too.

“According to Kitchn, you should use one teaspoon of salt per pound of steak to really season it well from the outside. For those who prefer to eyeball it, Bon Appétit suggests using enough to coat the steak well without allowing multiple layers of salt to build up on the meat.”

After you salt and pepper it, leave it for at least 5 mins to soak in. Then you can add a bit of oil to the steak. In that order.

get a cast iron skillet or stainless steel pan, on med to high heat. Open up your windows, it’s going to get Smokey. Test the skillet to see if it’s not enough by adding a drip of water into the skillet and it dances right away and boils, then it’s hot enough

then use the guide above for time and temperature. A few mins before the estimated time is done, throw as much butter as you want, add garlic (you don’t have to mine it, just peel it and leave it whole) and add thyme or rosemary. You can’t put too much of these ingredients so have fun with it.

onlu think you have to get “right” is salt and cooking to your desired doneness.

Ok YouTube, Adam Ragusea makes great home cooking videos check him out.

have fun and enjoy. It’ll take a little practice but it’s a great way to have fun and earn come cookie points. Instead of gifts for friends, I’ll go over and cook for them.

I’m trying to nurse my GF back into health today. She’s on strict orders: rest, water, vitamins, and soup…

RUSTIC CHICKEN STEW

61ywR1A.jpg

Salted, floured, and then trying to brown it, put too much chicken in at once it kinda boiled. The flour did start to build a fond.

smRwxc4.jpg

Cleaned out the fridge and threw in bok choy into the mix. Carrots, potatoes, celery, onions, garlic, and Bragg’s 24 herb mix.

yrAgpN0.jpg

Simmering… percolating and mingling going on…

zicHK8a.jpg

I was going to make some southern style drop dumplings but got lazy and ate it with rice.

tasted like Campbells Chunky Chicken Soup but 10x as yummy

iOwS5dU.jpg

Back