What Boxers have you met?

Onyok Velasco (after retirement) and the usual Pac-man.

Never had the chance to be around Nonito, though...

Manny Pacquiao - For about 8 seconds in Brisbane
Jeff Horn - Far too many times
Joe Frazier - he was in a wheel chair at the time
Michael Katsidis - From the city nearest my home town
Ricky Thornberry - From my hometown - He fought Joe Calzaghe and Sven Ottke
Noel Thornberry - Trainer of Alex Lepai also from my home town
Alex Leapai - many many times
Demsey McKean - good friend - current Australian heavyweight Champion
Jeff Fenech - His son came up for sparring and so did he.
Anthony Mundine - Much better person when you meet him
Danny Green - Is actually a bit of a dick

I'm sure there are more, I've probably met most of the Australian boxers except for Kostya.
Sam soliman joined a group I was with a few years back. One of the nicest blokes I've ever met. That's one guy who got the most out of his talent. Lived a spartan lifestyle. Katidis always struck me as a wildman.

Sam soliman joined a group I was with a few years back. One of the nicest blokes I've ever met. That's one guy who got the most out of his talent. Lived a spartan lifestyle. Katidis always struck me as a wildman.

Funny you should comment, I was actually on a plane from Brisbane to Sydney once sitting next to Daniel Geale and I didn't even recognize him at the time. It was only afterwards when I was walking to the taxi rank that I figured out who he was. This was before planes had Wifi so I couldn't check on my phone hahahaa

Funny you should comment, I was actually on a plane from Brisbane to Sydney once sitting next to Daniel Geale and I didn't even recognize him at the time. It was only afterwards when I was walking to the taxi rank that I figured out who he was. This was before planes had Wifi so I couldn't check on my phone hahahaa
Haha, he is champion bloke. Being a fellow tasmanian I was following him from an early age. Boxed on same ammy card with him in 98. My bros good mate with Luke jackson who came up short against frampton.

What was it like sparring him. Dude looked like a bull on the ring
Yeah, he was, indeed, very strong for his size & he had a terrific right hand that was very sneaky. I was always shocked by some of the losses on in record because he was so damn good. I mean, we're talking about a man who beat up a prime Julio Cesar Chavez but was robbed of the decision at MSG.

Yeah, he was, indeed, very strong for his size & he had a terrific right hand that was very sneaky. I was always shocked by some of the losses on in record because he was so damn good. I mean, we're talking about a man who beat up a prime Julio Cesar Chavez but was robbed of the decision at MSG.

Dunno if this was a robbery, as the fight was very competitive, IMO. That being said, holding one's own against 86 JCC is no small achievement. As is being the only man to ever KO Rocky Lockridge.

Dunno if this was a robbery, as the fight was very competitive, IMO. That being said, holding one's own against 86 JCC is no small achievement. As is being the only man to ever KO Rocky Lockridge.
We'll have to be at odds regarding that one my friend as I saw Laporte outworking & outpunching Chavez in that contest. And, yes, his counter right hand off the ropes to KO Lockridge was, indeed, a thing of beauty. :D

Iran B
Tommy Hearns
Srl
Tyson
evander
Miguel angel gonzalez

Met Barkley when I was a kid and got his autograph. I remember being appalled he signed it with “the champ” after he dropped the belt. When I expressed that to my dad, he responded once a champ, always a champ.

Fcking awesome list :cool:

What notable large ( HW ) boxers did you had saw? US does have plenty of notable former HW boxers.
I've had the pleasure of meeting many of the most notable heavyweight champions & top contenders of the past half-century or so. With some of the biggest names being:
Ali.
20200113_205417.jpg
Joe Frazier.
20200116_081054.jpg
Goerge Foreman.
20200116_075750.jpg
Larry Holmes.
20200116_080011.jpg
Evander Holyfield.
20200116_080103.jpg
Mike Tyson.
20200113_205402.jpg
In addition to these men I've also met Jersey Joe Wolcott, Floyd Patterson, Jimmy Ellis, Ernie Terrell, Ken Norton, Ron Lyle, Earnie Shavers, Tommy Morrison, Michael Moorer, Riddick Bowe, Greg Page, Tony Tubbs, Tony Tucker, George Chuvalo, Tim Witherspoon, Bonecrusher Smith, Leon Spinks, Michael Spinks, Bruce Seldon & other heavyweight champions & contenders.

Attachments

• 20200113_205417.jpg
    20200113_205417.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200113_205402.jpg
    20200113_205402.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20170926_144429 (2).jpg
    IMG_20170926_144429 (2).jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1
I remember back when I met Gentleman Jim Corbett and I said "what was it like fighting Sullivan?" and he said "that shit was tight LMAO"

We'll have to be at odds regarding that one my friend as I saw Laporte outworking & outpunching Chavez in that contest. And moo, yes, his counter right hand off the ropes to KO Lockridge was, indeed, a thing of beauty. :D

Thats what i heard as far as the robbery but i dont think i ever watched it.

Last edited:
That’s the depth of boxing. There are many guys like Laporte who were masterful boxers but Lady Luck never seemed to shine on their careers.
But LaPorte is one of those guys whose style is awesome.

Winky Wright!!

Attachments

• IMG_9868.JPG
    IMG_9868.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 2
Floyd Mayweather!

Attachments

• IMG_9072.JPG
    IMG_9072.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 2
I saw the klitschko brothers a few years ago, but im super shy :(

Back