What Boxers have you met?

A lot of local heroes and especially many kickboxers.

Lucia Rijker and Remy Bonjasky (former 3x k1 champ) would be the biggest names

I still want to shake Rudi Lubbers hand. That man boxed Ali, and went off the radar after his career. He had a pretty rough life, and lived with his wife in a van for years. As they got older this nearly became fatal for them. They were found nearly frozen to death somewhere in Bulgaria, then were flown back. It was a whole media circus

Last edited:
Were you a big McCallum fan already ?
Yea I was. I actually went to Vegas to train at Toccos to get on his lineage. But I wanted to learn from Sin as he is part of mikes lineage but I have a lot of respect for his teaching abilities.
Meeting mike was cool. First time I saw him was him training his son. Good times. We got to talk about how he tooled Toney.

Sergey Devakov, my old boxing trainer for 8 months when I lived in Tel Aviv for school. He's from Ukraine and won an international title which is pretty cool.
He can't make a come back cause of trauma caused from doing severe brain damage to a young English opponent. Felt like retiring after talking to his parents.

Last edited:
From going to the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, NY, way too many to count. De la Hoya, Tyson, Hagler, Calzaghe, Pryor (RIP), Lamotta (RIP), Holyfield, Toney, Andre Ward, Danny Jacobs, Mosley, Vargas, Mickey Ward were all big ones for me. There's a lot of other old time boxers like Tony DeMarco and George Chuvalo there too. Also got to meet some referees, trainers, and media personalities.

Iran B
Tommy Hearns
Srl
Tyson
evander
Miguel angel gonzalez

Met Barkley when I was a kid and got his autograph. I remember being appalled he signed it with “the champ” after he dropped the belt. When I expressed that to my dad, he responded once a champ, always a champ.

What was Roger like?
Hilarious individual. Also very polite off camera. He said he doesn't use foul language in front of ladies, but I think he was just subtly flirting with the one that was in there.

none of my heroes, but some local fighters who never got too far. I've saw sugar ray seales at a golden gloves but didn't approach him. Heard different things about him as far as people coming up to him, i heard that when he came back from the gold win at the oly's some guys said "how's it feel to be a champ" Sugar Ray said "it feels great, how's it feel to be a chump?" but, as happens with men with age, he seemed to have mellowed. One of my customers said he was under Seales' supervision as a teen troublemaker and he said he was "chill".

another guy, I don't think anyone would know him, says he outran Marvin hagler around a local lake (hagler wrote "I do not know this person" when asked by me on facebook) and ended up falling off a mountain and becoming a quadripeligic, didn't know him well, but i heard he was a real asshole when he was young, one other boxer told me "he got what was coming to him" about his accident.
Marvin Hagler responding to you is pretty wild

I'd be psyched for weeks

Where this is meant?

Meeting?
Bout?
Smoker?
Sparring?
Friendly sparring ?
Otherwise?

Where this is meant?

Meeting?
Bout?
Smoker?
Sparring?
Friendly sparring ?
Otherwise?

I believe the TS is simply asking which boxers you've personally met under any circumstances.
Of course, if you wish to elaborate further regarding further details, that's up to you.

Marvin Hagler responding to you is pretty wild

I'd be psyched for weeks
It's great, he knows me by my name and has said "good to see you back" if I dissapear for a bit. He's pretty friendly on his page. The digital age has made it possible to at least contact some of my heroes. I gave Hector Camacho the idea for making t-shirts and I bought some when he had them ready. The last time he was in jail I told him that nothing he could do short of being a serial killer would change how I feel about him. Sadly, it appears that that last case had a lot to do with his moving to puerto rico, presumably to stay out of trouble in the US. What happened was one of his sons stole some money from him and he roughed him up a bit but with all the other issues he had with the law, it was more than just the one incident he had to think about. I think parole violation or something was the reason he was so worried. Not running per se but just trying to stay away from problems. However, Puerto Rico has a murder rate some 20 times higher than the us so, it was out of the frying pan and into the fire. I'm glad that some of my heroes like Marvin are doing ok, and I write that to him every so often.

Hundreds.

OK. I've decided to elaborate a bit more by mentioning those big-name fighters that I've personally been in the ring with as a sparring partner or as an opponent.

Ray Leonard.
20200115_154959.jpg
Hector Camacho.
20200115_163929.jpg
Simon Brown.
20200115_155206.jpg
Buddy McGirt.
20200115_155224.jpg
Livingstone Bramble.
20200115_155504 (1).jpg
Matt Hilton.
20200115_155404.jpg
Mark Breland.
20190830_000620.jpg
Charles Murray.
20200115_155649.jpg

Attachments

• 20200115_154959.jpg
    20200115_154959.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20170831_232654 (1).jpg
    IMG_20170831_232654 (1).jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 1
OK. I've decided to elaborate a bit more by mentioning those big-name fighters that I've personally been in the ring with as a sparring partner or as an opponent.

Ray Leonard.
View attachment 710863
Hector Camacho.
View attachment 710865
Simon Brown.
View attachment 710867
Buddy McGirt.
View attachment 710869
Livingstone Bramble.
View attachment 710871
Matt Hilton.
View attachment 710873
Mark Breland.
View attachment 710875
Charles Murray.
View attachment 710877
I've been wondering how Buddy has been doing after the recent tragedy. Usually i see a lot of interviews on youtube but I haven't seen any lately.

Sparring partner continued:
Shane Mosley.
20200115_160451.jpg
Vinny Pazienza.
20200115_170519.jpg
Billy Schwer.
20200115_160435.jpg
Juan Laporte.
20200115_155607.jpg

Who's the best guy you actually fought?

Not necessarily biggest name but like who felt as though they had the best skill level

Louis Howard. No doubt about it. He was a terrific amateur who would have gone to the '84 Olympics & become a star had it not been for his being in the same weight class as Mark Breland. But he still had a successful pro career, winning several regional titles. He was one bout away from fighting Terry Norris for the title but when his NABF welterweight title bout vs Luis Santana was declared a draw it was Santana who went on to win the world title instead.
Still, Howard was a terrific boxer & a very good puncher. He came the closest of anyone to knocking me down when he caught me with a right uppercut at the end of the second round that took my legs away from me for a couple of seconds & sent me wobbling back to my corner.
So, yeah. Definitely Louis Howard.

Carl Froch and some Belgian unknown bois and gals (well I guess Delfine Persoon is KIND of known).
Both Froch and Delfine were very nice in person, can't say anything bad about them.

Any chance Froch tell you about the 80,000 at Wembley?

Laporte looking like a fucking gangster. That’s awesome do you what year that photo is from?

That was back in 1986 when I first met him but I didn't actually spar with him until a few years later when he moved up to light-welterweight & fought Kostya Tszyu.

That was back in 1986 when I first met him but I didn't actually spar with him until a few years later when he moved up to light-welterweight & fought Kostya Tszyu.
What was it like sparring him. Dude looked like a bull on the ring

Back