what are some not so popular, high paying careers?

It was Tree Surgeons a few years back, too, right?

I remember all the Arboriculturists I knew talking about Australia in a manner that people did America, in the 30s.....streets paved with gold :icon_chee

In Oz, Thermal Insulation and Cladding(My Trade) is booming at the moment they're putting up LNG sites everywhere and paying guys a fortune. I've started with a company for offshore and they have a massive job coming up over there in August hoping to get a transfer.

off shore drilling worker.

Hazmat clean up guy.

Crane operator

stevedore

Lots of high-paying jobs in the oil & gas fields, and most of it is tour work, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, 3 weeks on 2 weeks off, etc.

This is the type of work i've been doing since i finished my apprenticeship. I've been on standby for offshore for the past month doing absolutely nothing, waiting to get sent out and getting paid more than double than if i had a local job in my trade. It's nuts.

My dad is a com tech at PG&E. I had a chance to be a lineman and chose nursing. Sometimes I regret it, lol, because I could have been banking 100k at 18-19.

You wouldn't be making that much money at 18-19, sorry. Maybe after 5+ years as a lineman. Don't you have to work your way up and get into lineman school after working for the company in another position?

I'm sure these have already been mentioned, but any type of trade makes stupid big money in oilfields in Alberta or Saskatchewan. The Dakotas seem to be booming for you yanks.

Yeah, it's three weeks on, one off and you live in a boring prison camp while you work, but I know plumbers making 13 grand in three weeks of work. Truckers doing the Edmonton to Fort Mac run make about 80 grand in four months. IF you can suck it up enough to do the work, and you've got a bit of financial discipline, you can bank a lot of cash quick.

Also, if you have Industrial rope access tickets to add to your trade training, you're a hot commodity.

Also, if you have Industrial rope access tickets to add to your trade training, you're a hot commodity.

Very true, more and more companies are asking for it these days or even putting you through the courses. I haven't did it yet seeing as i'm a pussy that's scared of heights. :D

are you a professional poker player?

I'm intrigued by your sherdog name because it would normally be associated to someone academically inclined.

I am, but I dropped out of university in the first year, so I only have my high school diploma.
But there's no point in going through the education system, only to do something you don't like as much, and make far less money with.

This. Underwater construction jobs such as this can pay like

Why can it shorten your life span?

I'm not 100% sure, it's just what i've heard but it's supposedly something to do with being in decompression afterwords.

Anyone a bit more knowledgeable on the subject?

I'm not 100% sure, it's just what i've heard but it's supposedly something to do with being in decompression afterwords.

Anyone a bit more knowledgeable on the subject?

If you do deepsea diving, you have to get into a decompression chamber once you get back up to a certain level.
Maybe they don't have those.

Underwater welder/hyperbaric welding.

Just try not to get the 'bends'...

I go to school for oil burners and air conditioning, you can make 100k+ after 5 years or so. The best part is you can finish school in 1.5 years and it only costs around 2 grand.

Taken from the Wiki

Commercial divers must also consider the safety issues that normal divers face; most notably, the risk of decompression sickness following saturation diving due to the increased pressure of inhaled breathing gases.Many divers have reported a metallic taste that is related to the breakdown of dental amalgam. There may also be long term cognitive and possibly musculoskeletal effects associated with underwater welding.

Taken from the Wiki

Commercial divers must also consider the safety issues that normal divers face; most notably, the risk of decompression sickness following saturation diving due to the increased pressure of inhaled breathing gases.Many divers have reported a metallic taste that is related to the breakdown of dental amalgam. There may also be long term cognitive and possibly musculoskeletal effects associated with underwater welding.

but that sweet sweet cash!

Brother makes 80 grand welding.
Buddy makes 80 doing hvac
Anothrr kid is in school to be a linesman..claims he can make over 100k.
Pharmacists make 120k
Amtrak conductors/engineers can bank close to 6 figures
Phys therapist 70-90k
Landscaper that is sole proprieter
Same with house painters

Taken from the Wiki

Did you not just see what i posted or are you adding onto it ?

Go to northern Alberta and work in the oil patch. When I got out of college, that's what I did. I graduated with an Instrumentation Technology degree, went up north at 21 years old and was making around 130K a year. It wasn't terrible, but I got the hell out of there once my loans were paid off.

Back