what are some not so popular, high paying careers?

welding

specially if you get underwater certs for hyberbaric welding.

big big cash.

Underwater welding in the Offshore sector is EXTREMELY lucrative, but apparantly quite dangerous too.

I'm a medical health professional myself, but I've got to say, there is some serious cash to be earned here if you are either delusional or unscrupulous or, indeed, both.

Plumber or Electrician these days in Australia. It used to be mining, but the bottom seems to be dropping out of that area now.

How much money does it take for a job to be considered high paying?

Air traffic controller, sales in some industries you don't often think about, really any heavy machinery, can be very lucrative.

When people think of high paying careers, they think of doctors, lawyers, and engineers. What are some other options you can think of that may or may not require schooling?

My ideas:

Veterinarian

Airline Pilot

Veterinarian school is real expensive and you need to do a residency to make serious cash

My brother did part time accounting for a church in a rich area. Priests over there made over $150k+ easily.

they're supposed to take a vow of poverty.

Now I know why some drive in Cadillacs...

a friend of mine is in heating and air conditioning. Works 40 hours per week and makes 85K a year in Montreal where wages are generally lower for that sort of work. Great benefits too and his boss takes good care of them.

officers in the military can make serious dough

Commercial real estate

Translators in Canada can make a pretty penny. If you can translate between two languages without having to translate it through a third, you can charge A LOT of money. For example, if you want to translate from Mandarin to Greek or vice versa, there aren't many people capable of doing it without translating it into English, and then having the English version translated into Mandarin. This can cause some problems as a lot of it can be lost in translation and get messed up. Standard rates from English to French is about 20 cents per word, and with a decent work load you can make upwards of 60k a year. But if you get steady work between two seemingly unrelated languages (such as Greek to Mandarin) then you're looking at 50-75 cents per word. And if you advertise yourself on the internet properly, you'll get steady work. So you can easily make six figures.

Lots of high-paying jobs in the oil & gas fields, and most of it is tour work, 2 weeks on 2 weeks off, 3 weeks on 2 weeks off, etc.

Plumber or Electrician these days in Australia. It used to be mining, but the bottom seems to be dropping out of that area now.

It was Tree Surgeons a few years back, too, right?

I remember all the Arboriculturists I knew talking about Australia in a manner that people did America, in the 30s.....streets paved with gold :icon_chee

Also wharfies! But getting into that job is harder than becoming a member of a motorcycle gang!

Poker.
You don't even need a degree for it, which is great because I was way too lazy to get one.

Poker.
You don't even need a degree for it, which is great because I was way too lazy to get one.

are you a professional poker player?

I'm intrigued by your sherdog name because it would normally be associated to someone academically inclined.

Pharmaceutical Reps make bank

It seems lke the requirements are to have some sort of Bachelors degree in Biology or Chemistry and to be a super hot chick with big cans.

Disaster insurance adjuster- seriously.

I know a guy who does this and he rakes! Some of the job sucks though. He tells stories of going to New Orleans and Calgary, basically living in hazmat suits, working 15 hours a day for a couple of months.

Work up to a lineman with PG@E. The highest paid guys I know in my (generally poorer rural) area without a high school education are this. The other huge payday for blue collar guys is that underwater welder that Oeshon mentioned.

My dad is a com tech at PG&E. I had a chance to be a lineman and chose nursing. Sometimes I regret it, lol, because I could have been banking 100k at 18-19.

welding

specially if you get underwater certs for hyberbaric welding.

big big cash.

This. Underwater construction jobs such as this can pay like

An uncle of mine is a lineman in Quebec. Not sure how much money he makes but he was the single wage earner in the family and seemed to do okay for himself. He's been doing it since he was 18 and now at 55 I'm sure he makes a killing.

Back