• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What’s your opinion on Canelo?

he should take some time off

Looked really good on the come up. Got schooled badly by Floyd.
Then looked absolutely incredible in his next fights, some of the best head movement and counter highlights in the game

Fought triple G and got taken back down to earth. Really hard fights but still looked good.
Went up in weight again and destroyed a drained Kovalev.

Did really well fighting guys clearly bigger than him in Callum Smith, Ben Saunders , and Caleb Plant.

Bit off more than he could chew in a skilled and massive Bivol.

Beat an aging triple G and hasn’t looked super good like he used too in his last three against Rider, Charlo just showed up for a paycheck and got on his bike, and Munguia

He’s 33 years old now, clearly not evolving much or getting better. Fighting guys way bigger in frame than him despite probably being close in weight.

He does what he has to do against these big guys but it’s not super exciting and it’s not easy. I guess I just miss watching Canelo fight people his own size and being slick. It’s just not entertaining boxing when every Canelo fight looks more or less the same with him walking forward with a high guard. Giving out big punches but sometimes taking big shots too. He has huge power but these guys are able to eat the punch and survive for the most part.

Really good boxer. More impressed that he went up to 168 and unified than that he was gifted what he got in GGG 1 and 2.

He's a brutal cheat, a hypocrite when it comes to insults, and gets the benefit of the doubt for every close round in every one of his fights, but also he is a really good boxer.

no idea why people try and shit on him in the slightest

he has taken on the very best in every weight class he has ever fought in, and won against nearly all of them, he has lost to Mayweather and Bivol, one of whom is a legend of the sport and came way too early, the other was just a step too far

very odd behaviour from people trying to say he is ducking people or isnt good

he has taken on the very best in every weight class he has ever fought in, and won against nearly all of them, he has lost to Mayweather and Bivol, one of whom is a legend of the sport and came way too early, the other was just a step too far

Except he is ducking Benavidez and has been for years. It's well-established (I used to defend him btw). He's turned down big money to fight the guy. Now he's priced himself out at $200m to fight a guy he's obligated to fight per the WBC.

Except he is ducking Benavidez and has been for years. It's well-established (I used to defend him btw). He's turned down big money to fight the guy. Now he's priced himself out at $200m to fight a guy he's obligated to fight per the WBC.
one guy, he has been fighting for about 15 years

everyone said he was ducking GGG as well, it just gets tiresome when people just keep adding names to the list, i remember when people were saying Calzaghe was ducking Froch, its a never ending list of people to fight

one guy, he has been fighting for about 15 years

everyone said he was ducking GGG as well, it just gets tiresome when people just keep adding names to the list, i remember when people were saying Calzaghe was ducking Froch, its a never ending list of people to fight
He stalled the GGG fight. Even dropped his belt. This is different since he's been avoiding Benavidez for even longer. There's no other big fights left (that are sensible) for him so what's Canelo's excuse? He holds all of the SMW titles at the moment. Calls himself the undisputed champion but hasn't fought the best guy in the division. That's what fans have an issue with.

I heard that Benevidez hasn’t actually enforced his mandatory shot - feels like they’re avoiding each other or more likely holding out for a monster Saudi payday
He's been offered the Benavidez fight more than once. The money was there. Just recently he was offered it again in the last few months. Benavidez is WBC interim champ which makes him Canelo's mandatory. There's nothing to enforce on his end. It's up to the WBC to actually order it but they haven't. Not when Canelo's their cash cow.

He stalled the GGG fight. Even dropped his belt. This is different since he's been avoiding Benavidez for even longer. There's no other big fights left (that are sensible) for him so what's Canelo's excuse? He holds all of the SMW titles at the moment. Calls himself the undisputed champion but hasn't fought the best guy in the division. That's what fans have an issue with.
i understand that, but i think Benavidez has now moved up in weight, and if he beats him, people who dont like Canelo will just pick another fighter to say he is avoiding, its an odd situation in boxing these days, you cant fight everyone all of the time

Very good boxer has had an excellent career . Agree he stalled taking on GGG but has some very good wins .

Fighting Mayweather made him a better boxer .

Bivol completely outboxed Alvarez in a one-sided fight at LHW , the judges scoring was atrocious . It was not a close fight at all .

i understand that, but i think Benavidez has now moved up in weight, and if he beats him, people who dont like Canelo will just pick another fighter to say he is avoiding, its an odd situation in boxing these days, you cant fight everyone all of the time
Benavidez only moved up in weight temporarily to fight Gvozdyk. He's already said that he still wants the Canelo fight at SMW. His mandatory #1 spot has been retained. If Benavidez had only been waiting a short while nobody would care but he's been waiting years calling for this fight. So have the fans. It's the biggest fight in boxing.

Really good boxer. More impressed that he went up to 168 and unified than that he was gifted what he got in GGG 1 and 2.

He's a brutal cheat, a hypocrite when it comes to insults, and gets the benefit of the doubt for every close round in every one of his fights, but also he is a really good boxer.
This is a really great take actually.

I believe he lost the first fight to GGG convincingly, however the man has fought many of the greats of his era and beat most of them there's no doubt.

Benavidez also did a lot of dumbshit that could have made the fight.

People who say canelos afraid yet Canelo fought bivol … makes no sense

Did I say Canelo was afraid? For whatever reason he doesn't want this fight. I used to think the same thing btw. If he fought Bivol he'd fight Benavidez. So far that's proven to be false. Ultimately he doesn't have to fight him. All he needs to do is relinquish the WBC title. That's it.

Did I say Canelo was afraid? For whatever reason he doesn't want this fight. I used to think the same thing btw. If he fought Bivol he'd fight Benavidez. So far that's proven to be false. Ultimately he doesn't have to fight him. All he needs to do is relinquish the WBC title. That's it.

I think he should have done a Floyd and fought David when he was too young rather than now. I think canelo peak was 2018-2021

As already stated several times in this thread, Canelo became afraid of Benavidez AFTER he fought Bivol. Does it make sense now?

oh has he now?

He's really good. So good that people will say he is ducking everyone, even though he clearly has fought much better compitition than anyone else in his era

I think he should have done a Floyd and fought David when he was too young rather than now. I think canelo peak was 2018-2021
Even not at his peak he is battering and dominating undefeated stud champions in their primes. Dudes who have size, length, & reach on them.

Hes still by far the best fighter not named David Benavidez from MW up until LHW. & even at LHW he could probably beat most of them not named Bivol or Biev.

I'm officially jumping off of the "Canelo is past is prime and too old" bandwagon until Canelo doesn't look phenomenal against a top guy. He's proved to us he still has a place at the very top.

There are only like 3 other dude's who stand a good chance of beating David right now.
-Morrrel
-Bivol
-Biev

But I agree. The longer he waits the more the fight favors Benavidez.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakedboy
Back