• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What’s your opinion on Canelo?

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Looked really good on the come up. Got schooled badly by Floyd.
Then looked absolutely incredible in his next fights, some of the best head movement and counter highlights in the game

Fought triple G and got taken back down to earth. Really hard fights but still looked good.
Went up in weight again and destroyed a drained Kovalev.

Did really well fighting guys clearly bigger than him in Callum Smith, Ben Saunders , and Caleb Plant.

Bit off more than he could chew in a skilled and massive Bivol.

Beat an aging triple G and hasn’t looked super good like he used too in his last three against Rider, Charlo just showed up for a paycheck and got on his bike, and Munguia

He’s 33 years old now, clearly not evolving much or getting better. Fighting guys way bigger in frame than him despite probably being close in weight.

He does what he has to do against these big guys but it’s not super exciting and it’s not easy. I guess I just miss watching Canelo fight people his own size and being slick. It’s just not entertaining boxing when every Canelo fight looks more or less the same with him walking forward with a high guard. Giving out big punches but sometimes taking big shots too. He has huge power but these guys are able to eat the punch and survive for the most part.

My opinion is that he needs to man up and fight David Benavidez. There are no other big fights out for there him right now unless he does end up fighting Crawford at some catchweight.
I definitely understand why he doesn’t want to lol. That’s a super hard fight for him. I don’t mind him ducking Benavidez, but I don’t think he should hold the belts hostage if he’s gonna do that.

My guess is that he’s probably waiting for Benavidez to lose in a weight class higher first. You know kind of wait for their holes to get exposed or get damaged or just for better timing. Kind of like what Mayweather did to a lot of fighters

I definitely understand why he doesn’t want to lol. That’s a super hard fight for him. I don’t mind him ducking Benavidez, but I don’t think he should hold the belts hostage if he’s gonna do that.

My guess is that he’s probably waiting for Benavidez to lose in a weight class higher first. You know kind of wait for their holes to get exposed or get damaged or just for better timing. Kind of like what Mayweather did to a lot of fighters
Like you said if he wants to duck Benavidez that's his prerogative but he needs to vacate the WBC title. That's what he's been doing with it holding it hostage. A lot like Billy Joe Saunders previously did to Golovkin with the WBO MW title. Canelo wants $200 million to fight a guy (mandatory) he's obligated to face. You can't even make this stuff up. Imagine if Usyk or Inoue did this. They'd be lambasted.

I'm with Teddy Atlas, seriously overrated plodder who's had the WBC in his pocket.

Was great for years and looked a step away of everyone he fought, but avoiding Benavidez like the plague when you've got no valid excuses left is pathetic. I think the loss to Bivol made Canelo realize he wasn't invincible, and he's been careful not to repeat that mistake since.

An example of what a fighter can achieve with average amount of fast twitch muscles but w/the strength of an ox.

I think the loss to Bivol made Canelo realize he wasn't invincible, and he's been careful not to repeat that mistake since.
You’re absolutely right. The loss to Bivol is what turned Canelo into a duck. He wasn’t like that before.

Last edited:
When Canelo said that quip about De La Hoya's staff not knowing if they're cleaning silverware or dildos I laughed my fuckin ass off

He's a great fighter. Wish he was more willing to fight the important fights and didn't try to avoid them. But Canelo's accomplishments are impressive and he has a pretty good resume. Seems to have lost a step and he is likely in the back half of his career.

Great fighter, arguably the greatest mexican fighter in history.
Fans would like to have seem him fight certain guys on their terms but its never that way in boxing. Lots of great fighters didn't give us the fights we wanted until they were ready. No one would say Ray Leonard wasn't great because he fought opponents when he chose to.

Yeah he’s very good. However he’s either massively over rated by his fans, or completely under rated by his detractors, there are better fighters than canelo currently, no doubt. Guys who haven’t had to rely on home town judging to win fights. I’d have him just about top 5 p4p currently.

My opinion is that he needs to man up and fight David Benavidez. There are no other big fights out there for him right now unless he does end up fighting Crawford at some catchweight.

I think David is the next after that Munguia. They are just going up to the next weight class. But AFAIK Canelo asked $200M for this fight.

Like you said if he wants to duck Benavidez that's his prerogative but he needs to vacate the WBC title. That's what he's been doing with it holding it hostage. A lot like Billy Joe Saunders previously did to Golovkin with the WBO MW title. Canelo wants $200 million to fight a guy (mandatory) he's obligated to face. You can't even make this stuff up. Imagine if Usyk or Inoue did this. They'd be lambasted.
I heard that Benevidez hasn’t actually enforced his mandatory shot - feels like they’re avoiding each other or more likely holding out for a monster Saudi payday

Best mexican fighter ever
Top 5 best fighters in the last 30 years
His pedigree and skills are undeniable, once he destroys benavidez his haters will have no ammo left against him.

Salvador Sanchez is the greatest Mexican fighter ever.
Canelo is going for most accomplished Mexican fighter ever.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuralAttacker25
Back