Wet Shavers Of Mayberry v2.0

You have inspired me to give it a shot - my barber uses a shavette (which uses conventional DE blades that he just snaps in half) to line up hairlines, sideburns etc. He makes it look so effortless.

Man, I wish that I had 20-30 spare minutes to get a good shave every morning. 9/10, I'm stuck using an electric to save on time.

One thing i forgot to mention is that the blade for that Weck is from personna, and they are significantly larger than the regular half DE blades that barbers use on people. That's probably another reason why i had a tough time finding the right angle.

Edit: pic

Last edited:
Shaved again this morning with olive oil then hot shower. My face and head have never felt so good. Lol I actually got the idea from Seinfeld when Kramer shaves with butter.

I think that some can get away with shaving with olive or coconut oils, but it depends on your skin type. If you break out in zits, then the pure oils are too comedogenic for your skin type.

Okay... I found a method for getting lather that has worked better than any I have tried yet. Shave Busta gets the credit for his YouTube video showing this method for Mitchell's Wool Fat shave soap, which can be difficult to lather.

So prep your face as per your usual pre-shave routine. Have a damp brush, but not too wet. Go to the soap and load the brush for a count of 10 by-th-clock seconds. Apply the lather to your face for 10 seconds, and dip the brush tip in water once, then apply that briefly to the lathered face. Go back to the puck and load the brush again for 10 seconds, then apply to the face for 10 seconds. Finally go back to the puck and load the brush for 10 seconds again, then go back to the face.

Now you can add water to the brush tip as needed.

What this does is force you to load the brush with enough product, while also forcing yourself to spend time lathering the face. Most of us don't load enough product into the brush. It takes more than you think. And load the brush like you hate it. Hard.

I have used this with Mitchell's Wool Fat and Proraso sensitive soaps with great success. I've gotten such good shaves with "The Fat" this way that I'm neglecting my other soaps.

And replying to bad blades: You will definitely hit a bad blade from time to time. Astra and Feather blades tend to have good factory quality control, as to Personna Lab blue blades.

I have had good luck with Treet blades, but I only get maybe 2 shaves out of them. Derby blades have been smooth for me, if not all that sharp.

I'd say 1 out of every 3 Shark blades has been horrible for me. I bought a hundred of them, which I am regretting. At least they were cheap, so if each blade gets a single shave, it's no big deal. WHen the Sharks give a good shave, it is an excellent shave.

As my collection grows, i needed to find a storage spot that also served as easy access to my stuff. So i went to IKEA and bought a display cabinet.

Problem is, it only has three shelves and a lot of vertical space is wasted. So i went out and got some wire rope clips to add more shelves. Also, bought some glass and went to Ace hardware to get it cut.

Here's the result:

Only 4 more (rare) razors and i will consider my collection to be complete.

Thank you

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do a right-to-left shave between my chin and Adam's apple with a shavette. It's driving me crazy to have to touch up a shavette shave with a disposable, but for the moment that's what I'm reduced to. Any tips?

I can't for the life of me figure out how to do a right-to-left shave between my chin and Adam's apple with a shavette. It's driving me crazy to have to touch up a shavette shave with a disposable, but for the moment that's what I'm reduced to. Any tips?

I'm all for getting a close shave and all, but I'm not trying that pass yet. I'm just doing the with the grain and against it. Not across it. I may not get a BBS, but a DFS is just fine by me.

I read that stretching the skin helps, but I have tried that with a DE and irritated my skin, haven't tried it since. Of course, everyone is different though. Good luck to you sir.

I'm all for getting a close shave and all, but I'm not trying that pass yet. I'm just doing the with the grain and against it. Not across it. I may not get a BBS, but a DFS is just fine by me.

I read that stretching the skin helps, but I have tried that with a DE and irritated my skin, haven't tried it since. Of course, everyone is different though. Good luck to you sir.

XTG just seems tedious to me. Unless you're specifically going for the closest possible shave, it's an extra step that isn't needed. Special occasions will get that treatment, but I usually skip it.

Since I've started shaving my face, I have hairs under my chin that grow outwards sideways, and the hairs along my neck-line grow straight up. I can't seem to get them shaved clean without having at least a half dozen bleeders. Trying to shave those areas feels like I'm trying to shave steel wool that's been shoved into my face.

Haven't found any advice for that at all. Anyone have any tips?

cheap disposable razor, dry shave, obviously no soap. i've almost alway shaved this way.

My brother bought me a shavette so I decided to give it a whirl.

Shaved my face a few times with it, with the grain only. It's got a learning curve, but the worst I got were a few weepers.

Decided to give it a shot for a head-shave. Did the top of my head first, no issues. In face, it was the closest with-the-grain shave I've ever had. Went to the side of my head, and after I cleared some hair, I apparently tried to fillet my head. Got a pretty deep cut that scared me off for the rest of the night. Finished the with-the-grain pass with my Merkur HD and left it at that.

These things have a learning curve, for sure, but I'm determined to stick with it and add to my shaving repertoire.

im finally getting around to ordering a Merkur, i have never used one before. So ill be a little nervous.

What are some good creams to order an what else do i need to get to kit myself out

im finally getting around to ordering a Merkur, i have never used one before. So ill be a little nervous.

What are some good creams to order an what else do i need to get to kit myself out

Merkur HD/34C
Astra Superior Platinum blades [don't bother shaving with the Merkur blades, it'll be a bloodbath]
Proraso Green Preshave cream
Proraso Red Tub shave soap [I would actually suggest getting the cream in a tube instead of the shave soap; No reason to torture yourself over building a lather even from soft soap if you can get cream]
Nivea For Men Sensitive post-shave balm [don't get the stuff with alcohol]
I can only ethically advise for a synthetic brush, as I'm vegan. That said: Do your research. I bought a 10 dollar no-name synthetic that sucks hard. It doesn't retain water, so any left-over water goes straight to the soap, making it near impossible to get a lasting slick lather.

Got this one yesterday, $10.

i believe it's from the 20's, a gillette old type.

I've ordered a barbers razor online.
Have to be a bit more careful using it but it gives a great shave.

Have to clean shave often for the summer now.
It's more comfortable to shave often.

Will post pic of the razor later.

Back