Wet Shavers Of Mayberry v2.0

May I recommend some industrial grade acid then?

That sucks--maybe the good folks at Badger and Blade have some better ideas.

As far as grip, I do the balance point method: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_Razor_Grips

Dunno if that helps, but it may be worth a shot.

I hold the razor similar to that technique. Closer to the head, almost like you'd hold a pen.

55mjwn.jpg

I actually gave my hair [head and face] a few days off. Shortly, I'm going to take an hour or so to relax and shave.

I used some Art of Shaving Sandalwood shave cream in a tub. I had a mild skin allergy to it. Made my face itchy.

Gave it to the wife.

I am going to order the white Proraso shave soap soon. I'll try the sandalwood sometime soon, I just hope I'm not allergic to it as well. I loved the green Proraso.

I've had some mild allergies to other shaving creams and after-shave balms. Same thing: Itchiness.

White Proraso for sensitive skin is a great all round soap. I have tried a bunch, but always go back to the white tub.

I have also started using EMU oil as a pre shave oil. Cheap, great for the skin, and really helps soften the hair.

Well gentlemen, this is it. Tomorrow I leave for Marine Corps Recruit Training. In 13 weeks I will return a United States Marine.

Everybody be safe while I'm gone.

Good luck brother, thank you for fighting for our freedom. If you need some shaving stuff, just let us know. I'm sure i can put together a care package for you.

Proraso green has been my favorite, though I stopped using it for the winter. I got the pre-shave balm as well and love it. I also use the DR Harris Lavender when I shave at night (I find lavender to be very soothing before bed). The soap gets a great lather but the scent isn't as strong as a lot of the soaps out there (weak in comparison to Proraso). Those are the only 2 I've purchased.

For Christmas I got AOS stuff from the in-laws. I personally think it gets a bad rep in the shaving community because of its marketing strategy. They have some quality products. I got a tub of the lavender cream with the pre-shave oil and a sandalwood travel kit. I love them both. From what I've read on Badger and Blade their soaps are quality as well.

The only other I've used is an EJ sandalwood--again, another gift. I had previously read that their soaps weren't very good. I ended up loving their smell (not as much as the AOS sandalwood) though it doesn't last long; and it actually builds a very good lather with minimal effort. The only complaint I have about it is that it leaves a residue on the razor, which I didn't get from any of the others.

Is this method good for people with fucking crazy beards that grow in different directions around my neck? I'm constantly getting razor burn/bumps and nicks from using my Schick and edge shave gel.

Is this method good for people with fucking crazy beards that grow in different directions around my neck? I'm constantly getting razor burn/bumps and nicks from using my Schick and edge shave gel.

I would say yes. The reason that multiblade razors irritate skin is because each additional blade is digging into your hair follicle. Let's say you go with the grain and then against it, each "pass" is really 3, 4 or 5 passes (depending how many blades the cartridge has). So you might shave with and against the grain and you just did like 10-12 passes, which equals bad irritation. A single blade double edge razor is a true one pass shaver, depending on how dense your stubble is. Sometimes you might need a few extra passes to achieve a smoother result.

Found these at the Antique shop today.

Old Spice mug in the box with the original soap (new) inside. only $9! The brush looks to be in pretty nice condition and it was only $4. I'll end up getting a new knot for it, and it should look very nice. The soap has an awesome scent.

Also found this "razor" aftershave decanter, and it goes perfect with my "brush" decanter. i'm such a geek when it comes to this stuff. The razor is the GEM "G" bar single edge.

You can notice the G on the side knurling there.

My dad has that same (Ever-Ready?) brush. Last time I went home I forgot my badger and tried it, and it worked surprisingly well considering how un-dense and old it seemed. This stuff lasts decades!

So i've been wanting to try out a straight razor, but it's a bit expensive to get a complete kit, with the razor/hone/strop.

I started doing some research on shavettes, and i was going to buy one even though most of them are just ok when it comes to the reviews. Then i stumbled upon this vintage Weck & Sons, it's from the 60's i think. And it's stainless steel, i went ahead and bought and will be trying it out later tonight. You can buy the blades for it at sally's

some modern shavettes are about $20, this one was only $12 and the blades were $14, not bad imo. Plus, it's vintage and it has a solid weight to it

Last edited:
Been shaving my head for like 8 years now. Last week I shaved with olive oil for the first time and its fuckin awesome. Never going back.

Been shaving my head for like 8 years now. Last week I shaved with olive oil for the first time and its fuckin awesome. Never going back.

I've never heard of this. Sounds interesting.

What's the quickest you guys have ever given up on a blade?

I've been alternating between Astra Superior Stainless and randoms from my sampler. Pulled out a Treet Platinum Stainless.

I got maybe a quarter of my head "shaved" before I just chucked it. Very rough shave, and more nicks/cuts than the first time I ever used a safety razor. Testing my technique, I threw another Astra on and had a perfect shave for the rest of my head.

Even with the rougher blades I've come across, I usually tough it out for an entire shave.

'93 always has good to make me jealous.

It's been a while since I've posted about shaving, but I'm still struggling with making a good, thick lather. Almost to the point that I've resorted to just making almost-runny lather just to have some lubrication. I follow every guide I can find and still end up with sticky, impossible-to-cut-through shit. I add water, add water, add water forever and it's still too dry before I just run a good amount of water into the mug and make a bubbly mess to shave with.

So i've been wanting to try out a straight razor, but it's a bit expensive to get a complete kit, with the razor/hone/strop.

I started doing some research on shavettes, and i was going to buy one even though most of them are just ok when it comes to the reviews. Then i stumbled upon this vintage Weck & Sons, it's from the 60's i think. And it's stainless steel, i went ahead and bought and will be trying it out later tonight. You can buy the blades for it at sally's

some modern shavettes are about $20, this one was only $12 and the blades were $14, not bad imo. Plus, it's vintage and it has a solid weight to it

How did this shave turn out?

Your kit looks both sexy and scary as hell (dat blade exposure)

Man, i took my sweet time when i used that.

The shave was great, i have a full goatee (van dyke, circle beard, or whatever they call it today). So i did not shave the chin area (which is very tricky to shave with according to straight razor/shavette users). but i still had the neck area to deal with.

I just went with the grain, and very slowly and carefully went at it. I'll admit that i was nervous because i was trying to find my angle. I can switch/use both hands when using a DE, but i couldn't with this thing. It will take some practice before i can do that, but it was great. No cuts/nicks/weepers.

I'll be using this one primarily for a while. so i can get the hang of it.

Last edited:
Oh, and thanks (about my kit). I received that new brush, with an aftershave sampler from the "Captain's Choice" aftershave. They have a lime, sandalwood, bay rum and a couple others. He uses essential oils in the aftershaves. They scents are GREAT.

I had made these airtight lids for some vintage old spice mugs, and he traded me that new brush and the sampler for one. I sold the other mug on B&B.

This one is from the 1950's

Man, i took my sweet time when i used that.

The shave was great, i have a full goatee (van dyke, circle beard, or whatever they call it today). So i did not shave the chin area (which is very tricky to shave with according to straight razor/shavette users). but i still had the neck area to deal with.

I just went with the grain, and very slowly and carefully went at it. I'll admit that i was nervous because i trying to find my angle. I can switch/use both hands when using a DE, but i couldn't with this thing. It will take some practice before i can do that, but it was great. No cuts/nicks/weepers.

I'll be using this one primarily for a while. so i can get the hang of it. it.

You have inspired me to give it a shot - my barber uses a shavette (which uses conventional DE blades that he just snaps in half) to line up hairlines, sideburns etc. He makes it look so effortless.

Man, I wish that I had 20-30 spare minutes to get a good shave every morning. 9/10, I'm stuck using an electric to save on time.

This other one is from the 1970's

Since these mugs originally had a plastic lid (with the old spice compass) for the soap, i went ahead and tried to re-create the compass that's on that original lid. The old spice mug i found in mint condition a few posts up has the compass lid.

I find these mugs all the time in antique shops, i think i've found around 8 of them. What i do is make the lids for them, and either sell or trade them for vintage razors that i don't have.

Back