Wet Shavers Of Mayberry v2.0

I had bought an awesome English soap from Cyril R Salter, bay rum with something else. Lasted over a year, and it had that wooden bowl as well.

What does sandalwood smell like? My soap smells pretty sporty, sort of like a deodorant or shaving gel. Kinda want something different.

What does sandalwood smell like? My soap smells pretty sporty, sort of like a deodorant or shaving gel. Kinda want something different.

Relaxing. Honestly don't know to describe it, haha. I didn't know it was a thing until I got this soap. I shave, and it's a subtle scent that lasts almost all day.

Bumpity bump.

Any tips for face shaving? Just shaved off my beard, and I can't seem to get the chin or neck smooth.

I actually found my great granddad's razor. I disinfected it with bleach and used it for a couple of months. The only problem was that it was neglected somewhere along the line, and it must have been bent. I could only use one side of the razor.

But it's amazing though. This razor is from the early 1900's and there I was using it in 2014. And I'm sure that my great granddad would have flipped a shit if he had known that the razor that he so casually purchased one day would stand the test of time and be used by his great grandson.

tgAHXCx.jpg

k3t3yfd.jpg

gRMVebO.jpg

HOLY SHIT

that's the EXACT one my dad uses, the one I learned how to shave with!! wtf that's crazy!!

p4p the BEST shaver I've ever used, I always used to put my setting on 5. I'd finish a full shave in like 5 minutes, with the least amount of strokes. but damn, if you cut yourself with this, you REALLY cut yourself.

@karate man, what's the date code (should be a letter and a number under the razor head). I can find out the exact year.

It says "MADE IN USA" with the old Gillette logo underneath that. Underneath that to the left is a barely visible "G". On the other side of the handle it says "REG US" with "PAT OFF" underneath that.

AoS is a con-shop, imo.

Ayup.

HOLY SHIT

that's the EXACT one my dad uses, the one I learned how to shave with!! wtf that's crazy!!

p4p the BEST shaver I've ever used, I always used to put my setting on 5. I'd finish a full shave in like 5 minutes, with the least amount of strokes. but damn, if you cut yourself with this, you REALLY cut yourself.

Damn that's crazy. What a coincidence.

^^ yeah man, that + a Wilkinson's blade is like the best. going to try & snap a few pics of it when I visit the parents next time.

It says "MADE IN USA" with the old Gillette logo underneath that. Underneath that to the left is a barely visible "G". On the other side of the handle it says "REG US" with "PAT OFF"

Your Gillette "fatboy" is from 1961, according to the dating codes.

Soak it in hot water and dish soap (never boiling), use a toothbrush to scrub. Then use some toothpaste to clean it further. You might have to repeat the process a few times before it gets as clean as you want. Once you do, soak it in hot water and dish soap one last time. To get rid of the toothpaste smell from it. Unless you don't mind it.

How many passes do you do?

2 passes with the grain, 1 pass in each direction across the grain, and about a million god damn passes with the grain, but it's like the hairs aren't even being touched by the razor. I wouldn't have an issue if it felt relatively smooth, but it feels like I barely cut it at all.

Then I have a few spots under my chin with the same issue, but with the added bonus of being painful to shave or even touch. Feels like these little spots have steel wool growing instead of hair.

There is a sucker born every minute. I've always wondered why some shops were 5 times more expensive than others.

I don't get it. I know specialty shops will be more expensive than online, that's a given. But when it's a specialty shop that only sells it's own products that are two or three times the price of the [often superior] competition, it blows my mind that it stays in business.

Also got duped on Amazon.

The best blade I've used so far, hands down, is the Gillette Silver Blues. Seems as sharp as the Astra Superior Platinum blades, but smoother. Fantastic, beautiful shave. I ordered a box of 100 and the package showed up today. Got 100 Astra Superior Stainless.

Damn fine blades, but at twice the cost. If the cost was the same for them, I wouldn't even be complaining, but a box of 100 Astras costs 10 bucks on Amazon. I paid 23 for the Silver Blues.

Beer, keep practicing on your face. It takes time to get all the nuances of your hair growth pattern down.

I could shave my face with a rusty spoon, but my neck is a sensitive bitch. My whiskers on my neck grown in a "swirl" pattern. Pain in the ass.

I do 3 passes, with the grain, across the grain, then against the grain. Then I squeeze the excess lather from the brush and use it in my hand to remove any stubborn areas. I'll use a scrubbing motion for this last pass. It's always hard to keep the "negative pressure" on the razor on the last pass.

I used some Art of Shaving Sandalwood shave cream in a tub. I had a mild skin allergy to it. Made my face itchy.

Gave it to the wife.

I am going to order the white Proraso shave soap soon. I'll try the sandalwood sometime soon, I just hope I'm not allergic to it as well. I loved the green Proraso.

I've had some mild allergies to other shaving creams and after-shave balms. Same thing: Itchiness.

2 passes with the grain, 1 pass in each direction across the grain, and about a million god damn passes with the grain, but it's like the hairs aren't even being touched by the razor. I wouldn't have an issue if it felt relatively smooth, but it feels like I barely cut it at all.

It could just be a technique issue. I have a few stubborn spots that won't shave well with the grain, so I have to use a small amount of pressure as I go across the grain (very small, otherwise I'll have bad irritation).

I used some Art of Shaving Sandalwood shave cream in a tub. I had a mild skin allergy to it. Made my face itchy.

Gave it to the wife.

I am going to order the white Proraso shave soap soon. I'll try the sandalwood sometime soon, I just hope I'm not allergic to it as well. I loved the green Proraso.

I've had some mild allergies to other shaving creams and after-shave balms. Same thing: Itchiness.

I too, was allergic to the AOS sandalwood. Made my face itchy and I had red spots on my face. I ended up giving it to my father.

I love Proraso but lately I have been using Arko soap, mashed into a mug.

Beer, keep practicing on your face. It takes time to get all the nuances of your hair growth pattern down.

I could shave my face with a rusty spoon, but my neck is a sensitive bitch. My whiskers on my neck grown in a "swirl" pattern. Pain in the ass.

I do 3 passes, with the grain, across the grain, then against the grain. Then I squeeze the excess lather from the brush and use it in my hand to remove any stubborn areas. I'll use a scrubbing motion for this last pass. It's always hard to keep the "negative pressure" on the razor on the last pass.

The chin doesn't bother me as much as the "steel wool" spots. Even now, with 36 hours of growth, the spots are painful to rub. It's not even shaving irritation, as it felt that way after a .5 shave with the clippers. Some serious Sampson hair in that motherfucker.

Gave it to the wife.

I couldn't use the Proraso green shaving soap. The menthol/eucalyptus is fantastic for the pre-shave. Feels amazing, smells great... But I would lose my mind with the lingering scent of the soap. The sandalwood is a relaxing subtle scent that I could never get tired of. I hope it works for you.

Speaking of which, does anyone have any experience with their canned creams? Their soaps and cream tubes come so highly recommended, but I've never seen a review on the canned stuff. Just curious because it would be nice for travel to have a can for quick shaves. I've ordered the Merkur Bakelite travel razor, mostly because I'm in love with the idea of a sturdy travel-weight plastic razor. Have canned cream just seems like a dream so I'm not stuck with the lather process while doing shit on the road.

It could just be a technique issue. I have a few stubborn spots that won't shave well with the grain, so I have to use a small amount of pressure as I go across the grain (very small, otherwise I'll have bad irritation).

I think my technique is pretty solid at this point, even though the face is new ground. I've tried multiple blade angles and different amounts of pressure with no real results.

To go with this post and the first I quoted: I have really unsteady hands, so I hold the razor differently than what I've seen recommended. Most people seem to recommend holding it at the end of the razor and letting the weight do the work. But giving that much slack to the head would end up with straight up gashes on my face. I basically hold it with a tight grip at the top of the handle, right below the head. Which means any pressure comes from my hand instead of the razor itself, so I am carefully modulating the pressure myself with a good feel for the difference between an uber-close shave and a trip to the hospital.

Unfortunately, I really do seem to have blade-destroying patches on my face. While I don't plan to be clean shaven more than a few months, it kills me that I might not be capable of getting a buttery smooth shave. :mad:

You guys use aftershave? What are some good ones to try out?

I've got some Sandalwood shaving cream coming in the mail, excited to try that out.

Last edited:
I think my technique is pretty solid at this point, even though the face is new ground. I've tried multiple blade angles and different amounts of pressure with no real results.

To go with this post and the first I quoted: I have really unsteady hands, so I hold the razor differently than what I've seen recommended. Most people seem to recommend holding it at the end of the razor and letting the weight do the work. But giving that much slack to the head would end up with straight up gashes on my face. I basically hold it with a tight grip at the top of the handle, right below the head. Which means any pressure comes from my hand instead of the razor itself, so I am carefully modulating the pressure myself with a good feel for the difference between an uber-close shave and a trip to the hospital.

Unfortunately, I really do seem to have blade-destroying patches on my face. While I don't plan to be clean shaven more than a few months, it kills me that I might not be capable of getting a buttery smooth shave. :mad:

May I recommend some industrial grade acid then?

That sucks--maybe the good folks at Badger and Blade have some better ideas.

As far as grip, I do the balance point method: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Safety_Razor_Grips

Dunno if that helps, but it may be worth a shot.

Back