Wet Shavers Of Mayberry v2.0

Still getting used to the Shavette. Got a decent shave with-the-grain just now, no cuts.

Gotta get used to holding the damn thing. Ran into a hitch, though. I'm blind in my left eye, and without like 3 mirrors, the far left side of my face/sideburn has to be shaved blind.

Just like shaving my head, though, I found it was much easier to just avoid trying to use the mirror and go by feel.

im finally getting around to ordering a Merkur, i have never used one before. So ill be a little nervous.

What are some good creams to order an what else do i need to get to kit myself out

I have nothing against modern DE razors. But the heads are made of zamak (pot metal) and i've read that guys have accidentally dropped it and the razor broke and that's it.

I have had zero issues with my 34C (one of my favorites actually), because i take care of my stuff. But for the money that you are spending on a modern razor, you can probably get an excellent condition (sometimes near mint) vintage gillette. They are incredibly durable. And they have stood the test of time.

Look at the razor i just scored, it's from the 20's and it's in awesome condition.

I agree with BEER about the soap recommendations. Hell, get a badger AND a boar brush, that way you can try both and see which one you like better. There are cheap prices on both of them without sacrificing quality.

Pro tip- The boar will always need to be soaked a bit longer than the badger since the bristles are more stiff. 3-5 minutes in hot/warm water should be enough.

Finally went against the grain with the shavette tonight, and it was a disaster. No cuts, but probably the worst shave I've ever had. Fresh Astra blade was getting caught and pulling on my neck and jaw hair. I just couldn't find a blade angle that would cut.

Might still be my lather woes. Even using the cream, it always seems to be too dry whether I face or bowl lather. The synthetic brush obviously doesn't retain water, but adding water doesn't seem to be much help after a certain point.

A month ago I found a vintage razor called the "keen kutter", but unfortunately it takes proprietary blades, and they dont make them anymore. After trying few different blades, i was able to fit a single edge blade in there.

It resulted in a huge blade gap, and yeah it looks a bit scary, but i I got such an awesome shave out of it. The angle at which the blade sits is pretty much perfect, since that's the angle that I use while shaving. It's sort of like a straight/shavette with a DE handle. If you guys find one of these, try it out. The only thing that I stress a lot is to let the weight of the razor do the work, not one ounce of pressure is needed. The razor has some weight on it.

No cuts/weepers or anything.

Last edited:
What razor blades do you guys recommend? I've tried Astra and Wilkinson so far, and I'm looking to test out other razor blades.

What razor blades do you guys recommend? I've tried Astra and Wilkinson so far, and I'm looking to test out other razor blades.

I use the Personna Reds. Wasnt a fan of the Astra, Feathers, or Derby. Merkur was an OK shave for me.

How do you like scent of the Proraso Sandalwood? I love the AoS Sandalwood and the EJ Sandalwood, but Crabtree and Evelyn Sandalwood repulsed me. Proraso green is one of my favorites, so I want to try the brand, but I hate to drop money on stuff I end up throwing away.

Last edited:
I love the proraso sandalwood scent. Its so easy to lather, and the scent is subtle yet strong enough to last for some hours after you shave. It's only $10, so you wont lose out if you dont like it.

Blades? Astra Superior Platinum, Feather, and Personna (med or lab blues).

Shave soap? Proraso (any), Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, Arko, and Cella. Tabac is my favorite of this bunch. I'll get some Haslinger soaps soon, and some Rustic soaps, too.

I bought a Merkur 37C Slant. I love it! It is easily my favorite of all the DEs that I have tried. It is very efficient while being not-as-aggressive as some open comb razors. I can get a great shave with 2 passes and a slight clean-up on my neck, whereas the DE89, HD/34C, and RR Mission all take 3 passes and clean-up.

I bought a Dreadnaught shavette. That will take me some time. I was pretty sloppy with it yesterday and made some "cat scratches" on the left side of my face. All due to really bad technique. I've made corrections, so I'll try it again soon.

A month ago I found a vintage razor called the "keen kutter", but unfortunately it takes proprietary blades, and they dont make them anymore. After trying few different blades, i was able to fit a single edge blade in there.

It resulted in a huge blade gap, and yeah it looks a bit scary, but i I got such an awesome shave out of it. The angle at which the blade sits is pretty much perfect, since that's the angle that I use while shaving. It's sort of like a straight/shavette with a DE handle. If you guys find one of these, try it out. The only thing that I stress a lot is to let the weight of the razor do the work, not one ounce of pressure is needed. The razor has some weight on it.

No cuts/weepers or anything.

This looks kinda like a Gem single-edge razor. They are supposed to be really good shavers.

Blades? Astra Superior Platinum, Feather, and Personna (med or lab blues).

Shave soap? Proraso (any), Mitchell's Wool Fat, Tabac, Arko, and Cella. Tabac is my favorite of this bunch. I'll get some Haslinger soaps soon, and some Rustic soaps, too.

I bought a Merkur 37C Slant. I love it! It is easily my favorite of all the DEs that I have tried. It is very efficient while being not-as-aggressive as some open comb razors. I can get a great shave with 2 passes and a slight clean-up on my neck, whereas the DE89, HD/34C, and RR Mission all take 3 passes and clean-up.

I bought a Dreadnaught shavette. That will take me some time. I was pretty sloppy with it yesterday and made some "cat scratches" on the left side of my face. All due to really bad technique. I've made corrections, so I'll try it again soon.

I too love my Slantbar, but it has a steep learning curve (at least for me).

I generally reserve it for the days where I have a couple of days worth of growth and the stubble is fairly thick. The DE89 is my daily driver - doesn't excel in any particular area, just a solid shave that is almost impossible to screw up.

I too love my Slantbar, but it has a steep learning curve (at least for me).

I generally reserve it for the days where I have a couple of days worth of growth and the stubble is fairly thick. The DE89 is my daily driver - doesn't excel in any particular area, just a solid shave that is almost impossible to screw up.

What is the main difference between your DE89 and the slant?

I like my slant bar, but lately, I only switch razors when it's time to switch blades, and my mood dictates my selection.

got a razor, stand, brush and stuff for my son's 17th bday last week .. im a cartridge guy, but i might have to change over .. my son thinks it pretty cool .. what are some good resources ...

oh and the reason i got him the set as a gift was cuz of this thread .. haha

What is the main difference between your DE89 and the slant?

I find the slantbar to be far more aggressive than the DE89 - I have to make a conscious effort not to apply pressure in fear of getting cut (with that being said, it is far more effective at cutting through coarse stubble). I can also get a really smooth shave in two passes with no buffing.

My preference for the DE89 is that it is a very forgiving razor - even when my technique is really poor (normally after using an electric for a while), it is almost impossible to cut myself.

Thanks for the response, i'm looking into getting a slant. But i want a vintage one, and it's taking me longer to find one.

Anyone into Injectors? I have one, but I don't use it very often at all.

Anyone into Injectors? I have one, but I don't use it very often at all.

I own 5 different ones. Great shavers imo. So easy to use it feels like cheating, they're also awesome for shaping out sideburns and beard lines.

As my collection grows, i needed to find a storage spot that also served as easy access to my stuff. So i went to IKEA and bought a display cabinet.

Problem is, it only has three shelves and a lot of vertical space is wasted. So i went out and got some wire rope clips to add more shelves. Also, bought some glass and went to Ace hardware to get it cut.

Here's the result:

holy hell thats awesome.

Back