• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

were U2 the least rock n roll rock group ever?

I always thought of them as a pop band

During a U2 concert one night Bono, slowly clapping, announced that "every time I clap, a child in Africa dies." Someone in the audience shouted back: "Stop f*cking clapping then!"
that's fucked up.

I dunno, I think for me, I loved Springsteen but I wasn't ready to have a lot of faith in anyone else, and even Bruce did a million things that alienated us fans. Anyway, when guys act like they are serving a higher purpose, I get real skeptical. But.., if the music is good I will listen. Believing in self-righteous fucks I really don't do anymore.

Bono rubs me the wrong way, but I liked the "Zooropa" album and still listen to it occasionally.
Seems like he does everyone. I think one of the lists in Dave Marsh's revised Book Of Rock Lists was a "Bono Shuthafuckup Award" for rock artists who took themselves too seriously. Still, every so often, I go back to those magic three tracks off the Joshua Tree, I even love listening to other renditions. I wish they had more like those.

Bono is probably one of the most annoying celebrities going. Let’s not forget when his “charity” received £10m in donations and only gave £100,000 out, the rest being spent on wages for his friends. The prick moved to Holland to avoid tax yet was still exposed in the paradise papers for his various dodgy (but legal, granted) tax dealings. Yet he’s always the first to point fingers and call for giving.

IMG_8705.jpeg IMG_8706.jpeg IMG_8707.jpeg IMG_8708.jpeg

Bono is probably one of the most annoying celebrities going. Let’s not forget when his “charity” received £10m in donations and only gave £100,000 out, the rest being spent on wages for his friends. The prick moved to Holland to avoid tax yet was still exposed in the paradise papers for his various dodgy (but legal, granted) tax dealings. Yet he’s always the first to point fingers and call for giving.

View attachment 994461 View attachment 994462 View attachment 994463 View attachment 994464
never a good look, I recently read that MLK's people took offense when an official from the NAACP asked about the money. If you claim your doing something that humanitarian, you're not a business man, transparency should be understood and allowed, unless you have something to hide.

never a good look, I recently read that MLK's people took offense when an official from the NAACP asked about the money. If you claim your doing something that humanitarian, you're not a business man, transparency should be understood and allowed, unless you have something to hide.

IIRC bono (and geldof with his charity) like so many others claimed that “raising awareness” was the actual goal. Obviously he said this after the fact and not before

The song "Sunday Bloody Sunday" led to an entire generation of Britoners-- specifically Irish-- deciding they were tired of the endless violence, and helped thaw a feud that had endured for decades (arguably centuries, since the heart of this conflict was not intra-Irish, but between Ireland and England, tracing all the way back to before the Magna Carta itself, if you want to keep going, instead of focusing on the uprisings of the early 20th century).

There is no single entertainer in any medium more significantly connected to or reflecting the spirit of this thaw than U2. If not for their voice, amplifying that frustration with the bloodshed felt by so many, that desperation for peace, we might still see headlines today like we did when I was a kid that would make us all look at Ireland the way we do at Israel & Palestine.

So take whatever piss you want. I assure you that whatever band you love will never be a part of anything that important or cool.
what if I was a huge Sam Smith fan

before I start young Mick I'm not arguing with you, I know what you're like, this is just my opinion, no need for any insults or fuckduggery

Out of interest I grew up in a military town in England born of Irish descent, I remember the days of being sent home from school in the early 80s' due to bomb scares and having all the bins in the town sealed off to prevent bomb drops

I think that U2 song was perhaps the most accessible worldwide, but there are much more important songs and also much better songs that just didn't have the scope that SBS did.
Songs like We Shall Overcome for example are so much more important, remember the Juliette Turner song after the Omagh bombing? Now that was fucking powerful, one could even argue that U2's 'One' is a more important song (the handshake etc). you could even argue that 'Give Peace A Chance' is equally, if not more important and with wider scope, but obviously not as specific in content.
Christy Moore and Sinead O'Connor may be more important figures than U2 could ever wish to be

Speaking only about their songs & performances, U2 has achieved success hundreds of times over what their talent deserves.

They're actually worse than Phil Collins & Nickelback.

IIRC bono (and geldof with his charity) like so many others claimed that “raising awareness” was the actual goal. Obviously he said this after the fact and not before
Always, always, always be skeptical of angels, if they be angels they won't mind. I don't know much about Geldoff but I was always suspicious of him, I didn't like how he was so yappy about how Prince should have done WATW and called him a jerk and just recently I watched the making of WATW and he just seems manipulative and self serving, plus, he got Smokey Robinson irritated, you how much it takes to irritate Smokey? Fuck him. I hope some lives got saved and some good got done but fuck him.

The song "Sunday Bloody Sunday" led to an entire generation of Britoners-- specifically Irish-- deciding they were tired of the endless violence, and helped thaw a feud that had endured for decades (arguably centuries, since the heart of this conflict was not intra-Irish, but between Ireland and England, tracing all the way back to before the Magna Carta itself, if you want to keep going, instead of focusing on the uprisings of the early 20th century).

There is no single entertainer in any medium more significantly connected to or reflecting the spirit of this thaw than U2. If not for their voice, amplifying that frustration with the bloodshed felt by so many, that desperation for peace, we might still see headlines today like we did when I was a kid that would make us all look at Ireland the way we do at Israel & Palestine.

So take whatever piss you want. I assure you that whatever band you love will never be a part of anything that important or cool.

WTKhx65ZiUP2.gif

I feel I must add at this point that I don't really have an opinion on their music, I don't like or dislike it, yes Bono seems like a bit of a cunt but his hotel was nice

I only started this thread because some arsefuck I was talkig to said they like rock music like U2 and Genesis, it annoyed me

could have been a 'Phil Collins is the most paedophile looking front man ever', but it wasn't

and now look at this place

I feel I must add at this point that I don't really have an opinion on their music, I don't like or dislike it, yes Bono seems like a bit of a cunt but his hotel was nice

I only started this thread because some arsefuck I was talkig to said they like rock music like U2 and Genesis, it annoyed me

could have been a 'Phil Collins is the most paedophile looking front man ever', but it wasn't

and now look at this place
it's a mess

lol

Back