• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

were U2 the least rock n roll rock group ever?

The Joshua tree had some truly great songs on it, three I think, With or Without You, Where The Streets Have No Name and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. I didn't like anything else I've heard. I didn't like the pretentiousness of the band, or the posturings but they had their own style, it had irish influences all throughout. Also, I remember thinking they were desperate and craven for american success, after all, "the joshua tree" was clearly not a reference to their land. they were huge in their time, 87 or whatever, nothing bigger on the planet and the critics loved them. I'd take them over a lot of mega groups since.

Was never a fan really. Women went gaga over Bono for inexplicable reasons.
Even when I love the music of most UK acts, I don't really like the arrogance and pretentiousness, that shit gets on my nerves and they use our own native musics as a platform for it all. Of course not all of them are all poncey but a lot of them are. Great music though, Led Zeppelin, The Stones, bowie, great artists.

Did you guys know Goldeneye was a U2 song performed by Tina Turner?

A song used in Batman movie was also good.

they were just so ordinary, kind of gay looking

they didn't even have that edgy nonce thing going on

I mean, it's just pop music really, not rock, but they're considered rock by mentals so...

U2-young.jpg

here they are in their New Kids On The Block phase
421vinicon.band1.jpg

hang on though, bit more rock here, Sonny Bono got that oooooh thing going on, red glasses n that
rs-28002-u2-1800-1392394429-e4861e93-817b-4632-8c5e-a81e2d6281ee.jpg
The song "Sunday Bloody Sunday" led to an entire generation of Britoners-- specifically Irish-- deciding they were tired of the endless violence, and helped thaw a feud that had endured for decades (arguably centuries, since the heart of this conflict was not intra-Irish, but between Ireland and England, tracing all the way back to before the Magna Carta itself, if you want to keep going, instead of focusing on the uprisings of the early 20th century).

There is no single entertainer in any medium more significantly connected to or reflecting the spirit of this thaw than U2. If not for their voice, amplifying that frustration with the bloodshed felt by so many, that desperation for peace, we might still see headlines today like we did when I was a kid that would make us all look at Ireland the way we do at Israel & Palestine.

So take whatever piss you want. I assure you that whatever band you love will never be a part of anything that important or cool.

^ Glad I wasn't the recipient of that spanking. Ouch.

I was gonna asnwer "R.E.M.", but remembered "End of the World" exists. Probably Coldplay, or Radiohead. Or any one of the thousand emo bands out there.

they started off as a post punk type thing and Bono wanted to be like the new Ian Curtis.
he even went up to the joy division boys at Ian's funeral and said "dont worry lads, I'll finish what Ian started"

i wish I could make that shit up.
fuck bono

Hanson if considered rock has to be up there. As well as Hootie and the Blowfish. Also completely surprised by lack of Nickelback

Bono rubs me the wrong way, but I liked the "Zooropa" album and still listen to it occasionally.

they were just so ordinary, kind of gay looking

they didn't even have that edgy nonce thing going on

I mean, it's just pop music really, not rock, but they're considered rock by mentals so...

U2-young.jpg

here they are in their New Kids On The Block phase
421vinicon.band1.jpg

hang on though, bit more rock here, Sonny Bono got that oooooh thing going on, red glasses n that
rs-28002-u2-1800-1392394429-e4861e93-817b-4632-8c5e-a81e2d6281ee.jpg
I hate U2. Your insults towards the band has made my day slightly better. Thank you.

The song "Sunday Bloody Sunday" led to an entire generation of Britoners-- specifically Irish-- deciding they were tired of the endless violence, and helped thaw a feud that had endured for decades (arguably centuries, since the heart of this conflict was not intra-Irish, but between Ireland and England, tracing all the way back to before the Magna Carta itself, if you want to keep going, instead of focusing on the uprisings of the early 20th century).

There is no single entertainer in any medium more significantly connected to or reflecting the spirit of this thaw than U2. If not for their voice, amplifying that frustration with the bloodshed felt by so many, that desperation for peace, we might still see headlines today like we did when I was a kid that would make us all look at Ireland the way we do at Israel & Palestine.

So take whatever piss you want. I assure you that whatever band you love will never be a part of anything that important or cool.
{<jordan}that song changed absolutely nothing

Oh, look, the opinion of a moron who couldn't keep his 20-year-old account.
i believe you may think i'm some else, nevertheless, your comment about a song i actually like, is one of the dumbest things i've ever read on the entire internet, it did absolutely nothing to changes the view of anyone.

<Dany07>

during a u2 concert in Edinburgh Bono started snaping his fingers and said
"Everytime I snap my fingers a preteen in Bangladesh is crippled"
someone in the audience shouted back"stop fucking snaping then!"

I always thought of them as a pop band

During a U2 concert one night Bono, slowly clapping, announced that "every time I clap, a child in Africa dies." Someone in the audience shouted back: "Stop f*cking clapping then!"

Post #54, old boy. Do try to keep up;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back