Were Pride Fighters Overrated?

I loved watching Pride but in retrospect were the Pride fighters we loved overrated? Aside from Anderson Silva and a late entry from Werdum, the big named Pride Fighters who came to the UFC didn't fare well. Below are their records in the UFC. I don't think we can categorically say everyone was past their prime back in 2007 when most came over, as most were just around 30 years old, some younger, some just a bit older.

What do you think we're the biggest factors? The UFC competition? The Octagon vs the Ring? Drug Testing? Different continent? In Pride there was an air of invincibility and mystique around these guys and then when they came to the UFC they just seemed mortal. Still love them though.

UFC Records:
Big Nog - 5-6
Cro Cop 4-6
Wand 4-5
Lil Nog 4-4
Henderson 5-8
Shogun 7-8
Overeem 4-3
Rampage 7-5

Big Nog - UFC HW Interim Champ and beat top UFC HW fighters of the same era in Randy and Sylvia.
Cro Cop - Fair enough.
Wand - Fair enough, but two of his early UFC losses was against fellow Pride fighters Rampage and Hendo. He also did pick up some top 10 wins.
Lil Nog - Beat former champs Rashad and Tito.
Henderson - SF champ and UFC title contender, several top 10 wins.
Shogun - UFC LHW Champ and beat top UFC LHW fighters of the same era in Machida, Chuck, and Forrest.
Overeem - SF HW Champ and crushed Lesnar.
Rampage - UFC LHW Champ and beat top UFC LHW fighters of the same era in Chuck and Machida.

Pretty much everyone stayed in the top of their division even in the UFC and some of them picked up championships.

WereYouNotEntertained.jpg

No for their time they were the best just the sports evolved since their hay day and age is also getting to them. Look when liddell was knocking everybody out. Jackson came over and ruled the ufe and then rua and they were from pride anderson silva came from pride i mean the list gos on and on

everybody is overrated after a win, then becomes can after a loss...

No for their time they were the best just the sports evolved since their hay day and age is also getting to them. Look when liddell was knocking everybody out. Jackson came over and ruled the ufe and then rua and they were from pride anderson silva came from pride i mean the list gos on and on

the sport has evolved, but current top 10 hw includes 5 from the old era, whether pride, ufc and even one chubby k-1 dude...

so if anything, the old dudes, from pride and ufc, are quite underrated.

and of course, the current champ was a 38-year-old former pride guy and former ufc reject...

Here are the UFC fighters who were in the top 10 of those divisions in 2005/2006 when many of these Pride guys were in their primes. You tell me who aged better.

HW
Tim Sylvia
Andrei Arlovski
Jeff Monson
Brandon Vera

LHW
Chuck Liddell
Randy Couture
Babalu Sobral
Tito Ortiz

If anything the Pride guys proved their superiority and longevity. AA is the only guy still even in the UFC, and he went through a very rough patch himself on the way to this point.

came here to post something like this,thank you.

they came at the end of their career, but big nog became interim champ, rampage and shogun won their belts too, that's more than most fighters. if anything, i'd say they did really well, specially with the environment and rules changes thye had to adapt too. that's 5 UFC champions, already a lot, cause everybody can't be champion you know, but anyway it was either a troll or unthought post

I kind of remember them putting Chuck in there because he wasn't the Golden Boy, Tito was champ, and he did't exactly get "iced" he lost to Page. A very capable and dangerous fighter at that time.

Your right Page iced him in the UFC. In Pride he beat him so bad, his corner stopped it. My bad bro

No. Look at Werdum. They just been through many wars.

4hsdxv.jpg

Overrated as fuck, look how UFC superstar Chuck Liddell just walked through one of their top fighters.

Keys to an effective troll post

1) pick a topic that is bound to get people's blood boiling (example, Ronda beating up men, or in this case anything shitting on Pride)

2) pick a subject line that will strike a nerve and make people want to click on the thread and "educate" TS. In this case MMA Hardcore fan spits his drink when he reads thread title and says "pride is overrated?! Who the F is this noob imma ring his neck"

3) cherry pick stats to prove a point but don't provide context for the stats. This is critical, you need to sound somewhat like you did your homework but you need to leave out context to allow OTHER posters to fill in the context, this spurs debate, forces posters to work a little bit to provide their own level of facts and stats and creates the majority of pages.

4) In the body of your text try and play both sides of the fence, don't come on too strong one way or the other. Like, "I really like these guys BUT. Also Ask questions that the community can answer, like " Do you think A B or C? This makes other posters feel smart and that you value their opinion and equals more pages!!

4) don't respond too much to other posters, let the debate play out, just pick a few good posts to reply to and defend your original post and keep the fun going

5) thank everyone once the thread goes over 10 pages

Thank you everyone😃

Congrats. Print the OP out and stick it on your fridge. You mother will be so proud

As we've all said, they actually did very well.

I think a large part of the perception was colored by two events: Mirko flopping, and Shogun losing to Forrest.

Shogun later redeemed himself so that was a turning point in how people perceived former Pride fighters.
Keys to an effective troll post

1) pick a topic that is bound to get people's blood boiling (example, Ronda beating up men, or in this case anything shitting on Pride)

2) pick a subject line that will strike a nerve and make people want to click on the thread and "educate" TS. In this case MMA Hardcore fan spits his drink when he reads thread title and says "pride is overrated?! Who the F is this noob imma ring his neck"

3) cherry pick stats to prove a point but don't provide context for the stats. This is critical, you need to sound somewhat like you did your homework but you need to leave out context to allow OTHER posters to fill in the context, this spurs debate, forces posters to work a little bit to provide their own level of facts and stats and creates the majority of pages.

4) In the body of your text try and play both sides of the fence, don't come on too strong one way or the other. Like, "I really like these guys BUT. Also Ask questions that the community can answer, like " Do you think A B or C? This makes other posters feel smart and that you value their opinion and equals more pages!!

4) don't respond too much to other posters, let the debate play out, just pick a few good posts to reply to and defend your original post and keep the fun going

5) thank everyone once the thread goes over 10 pages

Thank you everyone😃
You make the TS sound like some mastermind.

FAR more likely he was just an ignorant dude who made a very poorly thought out post.

some yea but some were overated in the UFC too, at the end its a matter of perspective and opinion

Yeah, lets look at there record ~9 years later and ignore the fact Shogun, Jackson, Anderson and Nog were all UFC champions after the Merger and while we're out it we'll ignore that Fedor knocked out Arlovski and Sylvia and let's pretend the current UFC champion started in Pride.

I don't think they were overrated, just most of them have a lot of mileage on them

Back