Were Pride Fighters Overrated?

TS has either been ridiculously humbled at by the clear facts, or he is sitting back right now with hands like Mr. Burns thinking "Yesssss, my troll job worked perfectly."

I loved watching Pride but in retrospect were the Pride fighters we loved overrated? Aside from Anderson Silva and a late entry from Werdum, the big named Pride Fighters who came to the UFC didn't fare well. Below are their records in the UFC. I don't think we can categorically say everyone was past their prime back in 2007 when most came over, as most were just around 30 years old, some younger, some just a bit older.

What do you think we're the biggest factors? The UFC competition? The Octagon vs the Ring? Drug Testing? Different continent? In Pride there was an air of invincibility and mystique around these guys and then when they came to the UFC they just seemed mortal. Still love them though.

UFC Records:
Big Nog - 5-6
Cro Cop 4-6
Wand 4-5
Lil Nog 4-4
Henderson 5-8
Shogun 7-8
Overeem 4-3
Rampage 7-5

A thread too stupid to justify responding in words. Have an image instead:

not-this-shit-again.jpeg

Also,

How many Pride fighters fought other former Pride fighters in the UFC.

I mean can you really count Shogun vs Lil-Nog 2 as an example of how Pride fighter aren't faring as well because Lil'Nog lost in the UFC again?

There was BigNog vs Herring.

Pride had the best Heavyweights of all time.

A thread too stupid to justify responding in words. Have an image instead:

not-this-shit-again.jpeg

Why are you on the ninth page responding to it then?

P.S. Whack shop job. I wish I could give it four thumbs down.

Liddell, Hughes, Franklin, Tito towards the end of their careers.
Getting old sucks

10/10 for hitting 10 pages. The old Pride post...gets em everytime ; )

Why are you on the ninth page responding to it then?

P.S. Whack shop job. I wish I could give it four thumbs down.

Four thumbs down?? That was probably funny back in the 1950s when the joke was first made.

2007 was the last PrideFC event.

For comparison why don't you list the record of the 'UFC fighters' who were Top 10 in 2006/2007?

Tim Sylvia
Brandon Vera
Andrei Arlovski
Randy Couture
Chuck Liddell
Tito Ortiz
Babalu Sobral
Jason Lambert
Jermemy Horn

Since the fall of Pride:

Tim Sylvia---->Lost to Big Nog and Fedor (0 - 2)
Brandon Vera---->Lost to Werdum, Lost to Shogun (0 - 2)
Andrei Arlovski----> Beat Werdum, Lost to Kharitonov, Lost to Fedor (1 - 2)
Randy Couture---->Lost to Big Nog, Beat Coleman (1 - 1)
Chuck Liddell---->Lost to Rampage, beat Wandy, Lost to shogun (1 - 2)
Tito Ortiz---->Lost to lil nog (0 - 1)
Babalu Sobral----> beat Sokodjou, lost to Gegard, Lost to Dan H, (1 - 2)
Jason Lambert----> (0 - 0)
Jermemy Horn----> (0 - 0)

So by my calculation this list of guys in the top ten in UFC in 2007 when 4 - 12 against Pride fighters after Pride's collapse in 2007.

I loved watching Pride but in retrospect were the Pride fighters we loved overrated? Aside from Anderson Silva and a late entry from Werdum, the big named Pride Fighters who came to the UFC didn't fare well. Below are their records in the UFC. I don't think we can categorically say everyone was past their prime back in 2007 when most came over, as most were just around 30 years old, some younger, some just a bit older.

What do you think we're the biggest factors? The UFC competition? The Octagon vs the Ring? Drug Testing? Different continent? In Pride there was an air of invincibility and mystique around these guys and then when they came to the UFC they just seemed mortal. Still love them though.

UFC Records:
Big Nog - 5-6
Cro Cop 4-6
Wand 4-5
Lil Nog 4-4
Henderson 5-8
Shogun 7-8
Overeem 4-3
Rampage 7-5

Overeem was 6-8 in Pride...not really a PRIDE FC legend.

Here some more names and records of fighters that fought in both promotions...for what its worth

Records - UFC - Pride

Belfort - 14-7 - 5-3
A. Silva - 17-2 - 3-2
Werdum - 8-3 - 4-2
Hunt - 5-4-1 - 5-3
Barnett - 5-2 - 5-4
Randleman - 4-3 - 4-7
Coleman - 6-5 - 8-5
Frye - 9-1 - 3-4
Herring - 2-3 - 12-5

some that you listed...UFC records fixed

Hendo - 8-7 - 13-5
Rampage - 8-5 - 10-5
Wandy - 5-7 - 22-4-1-1
Cro Cop - 5-7 - 18-4-2

The answer is yes. That doesn't mean there were bad, just that the pride huggers had totally unrealistic expectations about how they'd fare in the UFC

The answer is yes. That doesn't mean there were bad, just that the pride huggers had totally unrealistic expectations about how they'd fare in the UFC

The answer is no.

A number of them got the belt and were/are doing very well.

Unrealistic expectations. As a Pride Hugger, I thought Pride fighters would come in and do well in the UFC. Lo - and - behold as I demonstrated in an above post, the Pride fighters after Prides collapse went 10 - 3 against a list of UFC fighters in the top 10.

Nog became an intermim champ, Shogun became a champ, Rampage became a champ.

Anderson Silva who was considered a Pride fighter that Chris Leben "was going to send back to Japan where the competition was easier" was the most dominant Champ of all time, but the moment he started dominating suddenly he wasn't really a Pride Fighter he was actually a CageRage fighter.

Today, almost none of the 2007 top ten in UFC even compete in UFC anymore, and yet several of today's top ten are still guys that came out of Pride.

I would say Pride Fighters did even better in the UFC than Pride Huggers like me had dreamed they would.

Our only disappointments are Mirko Sucked, Wandy's chin was glass by the time he came, and Fedor never came to UFC.

What are you talking about? How on earth do you think it makes sense att evaluating their records 8 years since Pride folded? These guys weren't in the beginning of their career when they joined UFC, so 8 years is a long time and many of them have or should retire.

Instead of looking at the records, let's just say that Big Nog was champ, Shogun was champ. Rampage was champ. Fedor beat two former UFC HW champs. Rampage dominated Iceman in Pride and knocked him out in UFC. Lil Nog has been a top 10 fighter since (though now he's not ranked and should retire). Wand and Crocop are the two that had the most disappointing careers in UFC. Wand should never have fought Crocop and Hunt which I believe ruined his chin.

Also started thinking - what if you made the same list but for the UFC fighters from 8-10 years back? Quick example:

Iceman: 1-5 since Pride folded
Big Tim: 8-8 and 1 no contest since Pride folded
Franklin: 6-5 since Pride folded

It may be hard to understand for some but you have to look at the fights in the context of who the top fighters were back in the days.

Keys to an effective troll post

1) pick a topic that is bound to get people's blood boiling (example, Ronda beating up men, or in this case anything shitting on Pride)

2) pick a subject line that will strike a nerve and make people want to click on the thread and "educate" TS. In this case MMA Hardcore fan spits his drink when he reads thread title and says "pride is overrated?! Who the F is this noob imma ring his neck"

3) cherry pick stats to prove a point but don't provide context for the stats. This is critical, you need to sound somewhat like you did your homework but you need to leave out context to allow OTHER posters to fill in the context, this spurs debate, forces posters to work a little bit to provide their own level of facts and stats and creates the majority of pages.

4) In the body of your text try and play both sides of the fence, don't come on too strong one way or the other. Like, "I really like these guys BUT. Also Ask questions that the community can answer, like " Do you think A B or C? This makes other posters feel smart and that you value their opinion and equals more pages!!

4) don't respond too much to other posters, let the debate play out, just pick a few good posts to reply to and defend your original post and keep the fun going

5) thank everyone once the thread goes over 10 pages

Thank you everyone😃

I remember this place going nuts when Forrest beat Shogun.

Unrealistic expectations. As a Pride Hugger, I thought Pride fighters would come in and do well in the UFC. Lo - and - behold as I demonstrated in an above post, the Pride fighters after Prides collapse went 10 - 3 against a list of UFC fighters in the top 10.

Nog became an intermim champ, Shogun became a champ, Rampage became a champ.

Anderson Silva who was considered a Pride fighter that Chris Leben "was going to send back to Japan where the competition was easier" was the most dominant Champ of all time, but the moment he started dominating suddenly he wasn't really a Pride Fighter he was actually a CageRage fighter.

Today, almost none of the 2007 top ten in UFC even compete in UFC anymore, and yet several of today's top ten are still guys that came out of Pride.

I would say Pride Fighters did even better in the UFC than Pride Huggers like me had dreamed they would.

Our only disappointments are Mirko Sucked, Wandy's chin was glass by the time he came, and Fedor never came to UFC.

Post facto bar lowering and nothing else. Don't even pretend like Forrest taking out Shogun and Tampage in consecutive fights wasn't an Everest sized shock to you. A couple of the Pride guys got to sniff a UFC belt for a while but no real dominant champions aside from Anderson who, as many have pointed out, wasn't really a guy who cut his teeth in Pride anyway. Like I said, the top Pride guys were good but they were also overrated.

Keys to an effective troll post

1) pick a topic that is bound to get people's blood boiling (example, Ronda beating up men, or in this case anything shitting on Pride)

2) pick a subject line that will strike a nerve and make people want to click on the thread and "educate" TS. In this case MMA Hardcore fan spits his drink when he reads thread title and says "pride is overrated?! Who the F is this noob imma ring his neck"

3) cherry pick stats to prove a point but don't provide context for the stats. This is critical, you need to sound somewhat like you did your homework but you need to leave out context to allow OTHER posters to fill in the context, this spurs debate, forces posters to work a little bit to provide their own level of facts and stats and creates the majority of pages.

4) In the body of your text try and play both sides of the fence, don't come on too strong one way or the other. Like, "I really like these guys BUT. Also Ask questions that the community can answer, like " Do you think A B or C? This makes other posters feel smart and that you value their opinion and equals more pages!!

4) don't respond too much to other posters, let the debate play out, just pick a few good posts to reply to and defend your original post and keep the fun going

5) thank everyone once the thread goes over 10 pages

Thank you everyone😃

A real master troll never takes credit

Back