Were Pride Fighters Overrated?

Yes! Ten yrs ago most of them were RATED OVER their UFC counterparts!

most ufc champs/stars from the same era got beat out of the ufc as soon as the pride fighters came over. Pride fighters are losing to the new generation of ufc fighters.

new gen ufc> pride> old gen ufc

2006 join date and still stupid enough to buy into this "new gen/breed" bullshit???

And when we talk about wear and tear, this isn't the current UFC standard of 1-2 fights per year. Pride fighters were fighting 3-6 times per year.

dont event mention the tournaments. something that we will never see in UFC again.

The answer is yes. That doesn't mean there were bad, just that the pride huggers had totally unrealistic expectations about how they'd fare in the UFC

they did and are still doing a lot better than UFc fighters from that era.
god damn it, Gunny, dont go full retard!

I loved watching Pride but in retrospect were the Pride fighters we loved overrated? Aside from Anderson Silva and a late entry from Werdum, the big named Pride Fighters who came to the UFC didn't fare well. Below are their records in the UFC. I don't think we can categorically say everyone was past their prime back in 2007 when most came over, as most were just around 30 years old, some younger, some just a bit older.

What do you think we're the biggest factors? The UFC competition? The Octagon vs the Ring? Drug Testing? Different continent? In Pride there was an air of invincibility and mystique around these guys and then when they came to the UFC they just seemed mortal. Still love them though.

UFC Records:
Big Nog - 5-6
Cro Cop 4-6
Wand 4-5
Lil Nog 4-4
Henderson 5-8
Shogun 7-8
Overeem 4-3
Rampage 7-5

Chuck was 20-3 before Zuffa bought out Pride.

Chuck's record after the Pride fighters came over to the UFC where Chuck couldn't hide from them was 1-5 (he managed a decision against Wand).

Edit: And even before the merger, one of his 3 losses was from his 1-1 stint in Pride.

Last edited:
Not overrated. MMA has just continued to evolve since then. Just like other sports.

They were able to juice without consequence, so in a way they were overrated because they were performing at insane levels ... but they were still physically doing it so I guess they weren't.

Some guys were really overrated, its more of a case by case thing rather than pride vs. UFC thing. Gomi and Hendo were the most overrated MMA fighters of all time during that time period.

I loved watching Pride but in retrospect were the Pride fighters we loved overrated? Aside from Anderson Silva and a late entry from Werdum, the big named Pride Fighters who came to the UFC didn't fare well. Below are their records in the UFC. I don't think we can categorically say everyone was past their prime back in 2007 when most came over, as most were just around 30 years old, some younger, some just a bit older.

What do you think we're the biggest factors? The UFC competition? The Octagon vs the Ring? Drug Testing? Different continent? In Pride there was an air of invincibility and mystique around these guys and then when they came to the UFC they just seemed mortal. Still love them though.

UFC Records:
Big Nog - 5-6
Cro Cop 4-6
Wand 4-5
Lil Nog 4-4
Henderson 5-8
Shogun 7-8
Overeem 4-3
Rampage 7-5

Sorry, but you seem to forget a little detail.

How did the UFC fighters from Pride era fared in all of this?

I mean, where are BJ, or Hughes, or Franklin, or Chuck, or Tinny????

ALL OF THEM lost way before the pride guys did. Yet you seem to try an make a point somehow..........:redface:

Same as Chuck, Tito, Hughes, Penn, Silvya... so UFC fighters are overrated too.

Back