Well, it turns out you dont need to warm up the engine before driving

MadSquabbles500

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...hat-you-need-to-idle-your-car-before-driving/

Only carburetors needed the warmup. I dont think most people have a carburetor in their vehicle. Driving the car actually warms up the engine better than idling. I always wondered that. Most people will be driving slow first anyways because they dont get onto the highway right away anyways. Sitting there and idling the engine is just wasting fuel and not getting you anywhere.

In fact all it does is make the climate change even more. People are idling all the time and it just pumps out that greenhouse gas. So spread the word, dont warm up your cars, is not necessary, and stop polluting.

Bye bye, and have a happy new year bishes.

heard that a few yrs ago and believe have found it to be true. I cause at 30-40 for the first 5-10 mins anyway cause of the road I have to travel on and car reaches warm temp quicker than if I let the car idle for 10min in the drive way.

Well, I drive some old(ish) diesel buses for work and they definitely sometimes need to be warmed up before driving. Modern cars, not so much.

Duh, welcome to 2015.

It bugs me when people in parking lots still do that when I got to work in the morning

Have to warm up the car unless I want a frosted windshield.

In winter I let the car run and leave the demister on. Then when I go to drive not only can I see where I'm going but the car is all toasty and nice.

Have to warm up the car unless I want a frosted windshield.

Some guy on Dragon's Den (Canadian Shark Tank) had a solution for that. Wonder if it will catch on.

Can you Americans even talk about cars while you all drive automatics

If I don't want the engine to stall I have to run it for a while before riding.
Either that or change the operating range of the plugs. I used to change spark plugs from Summer to Winter. Now I just put up with harder starting and few minutes warming up.

thought it was mainly to get the engine oil flowing and the metal expansion going.

Can you Americans even talk about cars while you all drive automatics

Oh look here comes the brit with his fancy stick driving. Sorry bro, I got blunts to smoke and trash to litter with, I ain't got time for no manual.

In all seriousness, though, lol @ automatic/manual elitism. Just really. Do your homework. These days it really doesn't matter.

Average temperature where I currently live is -20 degrees celsius. Need to be plugged into the block heater and warm that bish up before I get in to drive anywhere...

The Piston needs heat to expand the metal, so it can cover the gap between the cylinder walls and the piston. You're going to fuck up your car if you don't warm up.

Oh look here comes the brit with his fancy stick driving. Sorry bro, I got blunts to smoke and trash to litter with, I ain't got time for no manual.

In all seriousness, though, lol @ automatic/manual elitism. Just really. Do your homework. These days it really doesn't matter.

Motherfuckin' right!!! PREACH.

Back