Well, it turns out you dont need to warm up the engine before driving

Performance vehicles need to warm up before you drive them hard. It isn't good for the valve springs and actually most engine parts to make lots of hp while the engine isn't warmed up. A Lamborghini Aventador for example needs quite a bit of time to warm up. It's performance suffers as well if the engine isn't warmed up.

Get something with a desmo engine and you wont have to worry about valve springs. Dont have any.

Click and Clack were on this case years ago and made the same conclusion. They should be cited for a source.

Driving a vehicle after a night of -30c doesn't sound or feel very good for the engine.

I've known this for some time but still warm up my vehicles specifically to add to climate change.

I warm my car up. Oil temps are important. Coolant temps as well. But my cars modified soooo there's that.

Well, I drive some old(ish) diesel buses for work and they definitely sometimes need to be warmed up before driving. Modern cars, not so much.

I had a deisel and it wouldnt warm up unless I drove. The combustion warms the oil etc heating the engine but idling did fk all for me so id just go and wait for the engine to warm up faster so I could get some heat.

And in freezing temps you should start slow or you can crack the engine. I also had a turbo timer but rarely used it...

Back