Well, it turns out you dont need to warm up the engine before driving

Newer cars yes, older cars no. :icon_lol:

Another thing I noticed while reading this thread is it seems some of the people misunderstand what warming up their car means. When a car person wants their car to warm up it doesn't matter if it is freezing or hot as hell outside. You still want to let the fluids in your car get up to the optimum operating temperature. Obviously the colder it is outside the longer that takes but even in AZ summer heat I still wait for temps to reach a certain point(doesn't take but a min or so) before I do any spirited driving in my C6Z.

That's bullshit. Ain't no way I'm performing my drifts with a fucking automatic. I want control over my machine, power steering is also pussy driving.

So most people are pussies then because not everyone wants to be a Dale Erhardt Redneck or Michael Fucking Schumacher, or Douchebags who got inspired by Fast and the Furious.

If you're drifting on roads with people on them, fuck you. However, I completetly understand. Ain't no way you can drift your nissan with the auto. What do you drive, btw?

Power steering is necessary for the general public, and overall comfort. You ever drove a 79 mercury with no power steering? Fuck off if not, lol.

A rusty S15, always wanted an S14 but had to go with what I could get :)

Sure power steering makes shit easier but I much prefer feeling the road through the wheel.

So most people are pussies then because not everyone wants to be a Dale Erhardt Redneck or Michael Fucking Schumacher, or Douchebags who got inspired by Fast and the Furious.

Hey man, I like my steak and potatoes with no sauce and I eat plain 'potato chip's. Simple, robust and of quality.

It gets cold in Palo Alto yo.

5bcdd50a54c21a4ceea7ea6ad63b2c0f56ec99a4ff03e1526d0b2ba63812e1b2.jpg

You sir, know nothing about cars. Let me guess, your dream car is a mustang?

You probably drive a FWD vehicle. That's gay bro!!!

Nah, I drive a Hyundai Genesis.

I'm well aware that the Miata is an awesome track car. Still kinda gay though.

Also a year ago myself and four (five?) other guys spent 30+ minutes trying to push one of these of ice driven by a woman who only knew how to push the pedal all the way to the floor no matter what we told her.

Some of us like to idle warm the car for when we get in its not freezing . Especially when we have kids with us

Nah, I drive a Hyundai Genesis.

I'm well aware that the Miata is an awesome track car. Still kinda gay though.

Also a year ago myself and four (five?) other guys spent 30+ minutes trying to push one of these of ice driven by a woman who only knew how to push the pedal all the way to the floor no matter what we told her.

5 guys to push a 1 ton car? Do you even lift bro?

I warm up my car to get rid of the ice on the windows and because I don't want to drive to work freezing my ass off. I like leaving the house and stepping into a warm car.

I'm not a very skilled mechanic or car guy, but it seems to me that it should be pretty obvious to anybody who experiences real winter on a regular basis that a vehicle should be allowed to idle and warm up. A cold vehicle will sound pretty rough when you first start it and it will take a little bit for the fluids to heat up and circulate properly. I guess you could just hop in and start driving right away if you really wanted to, in fact I've done this before a few times when I was running late. It's just putting unnecessary stress on the vehicle though, so I always try and let it warm up for at least a few a few minutes if it's cold out. The article seems to be missing the point, I doubt that fuel economy is the reason most people are idling their cars in the winter in the first place.

I warm up my car to get rid of the ice on the windows and because I don't want to drive to work freezing my ass off. I like leaving the house and stepping into a warm car.

Who doesnt?

Anyways i have a turbo car so i let that shit warm up for like 10 mins unless i am late.

Man, I always thought you had let it warm up in cold weather.

One of my local dipshit politicians tried to enact a three minute idling bylaw a few years ago. Prick eventually had to admit he parks in a heated garage.

my jetta diesel doesn't like the cold much. i let that baby run for at least 5 mins before taking off in the morning. I don't let the revs get over 2000 until i'm on the main road. gotta take care of the ol gal

I turn it on to warm it up so it isn't fucking freezing, not because I thought it was better for my car.

Drive a plugin hybrid, it won't even warm up when you turn it on. I only warm up my other car to hear it and defrost the windows

Back