Well, it turns out you dont need to warm up the engine before driving

Well yeah bro. I'm 6'4 of pure lean, ripped muscle with 3% body fat, bang 10s on the side while I have a 10 wife, and have a warehouse full of Lambos while I live in a mansion in Monaco.

Oh and I trane UFC HARD, bro. Come at me bro. Bro bro.

so you are basically living my life in your fantasy life. nice.

Would you roll out of bed and start sprinting?

Where I'm from, sometimes it can get to be between -30 to -40 degrees celsius. I warm up my car before driving because everything else is frozen - steering wheel, seats, turning signal, stick shift, brake, gas pedal, doors. I can still drive it if I'm in a hurry but I would prefer to let these things thaw otherwise they're really stiff initially.

In my experience the engine is the last thing I'm worried about when starting my car. The battery is my bigger worry.

Or I could just start the car for a few minutes. I have to boil a pot of water now?

lol pretty sure that would shatter your windshield. Or at the very least cause pressure cracks.

Have you seen what happens sometimes when you make a coffee or tea in a cold mug? The mug can completely shatter. Mind you it's a different glass and Windshields are a lot more rugged and have to endure more strains.

But you never add boiling hot water to anything that's been snap frozen. Don't know what that guy was thinking suggesting that. Probably a troll.

lol pretty sure that would shatter your windshield.

I've actually used hot water to open an iced up car door before. I'm not sure if it'd damage the windshield but the water wold freeze back up if its not being heated by the car.

I remembering telling my friends this in college and they called me an idiot. I didn't know wtf I was talking about but I turned out to be right lol.

This is the only reason I ever used the remote starter. Scraping the cold windshield every moring is murder on the glass.

Getting a snow broom is essential I find to if you don't want to scratch the shit out of your paint. Working in detailing you really see the damage caused by snow scrapers and brushes on paint. Those bristles kill the clearcoat.

Snow brooms are a lot less harsh and remove the snow quicker too. Only problem is they are huge. Probably better to use one though if you have a pickup or an SUV and don't want your paint to look like shit after a couple of winters.

OP is slightly misleading since the linked article is all about gas consumption. The main rationale I've heard for idling the car is to get oil to all engine parts rather than high torque immediately on a 'dry' engine (of course it's not completely dry). At very low temperatures this compounded by the fact that the oil is cold (more viscous) and takes even longer to get to all parts of the engine.

Agreed.

You should warm up the car for 30 sec to a min max, then drive under low loads until the car is up to temp. That is generally what is ideal for most modern cars.

I let my car warm up. I don't just leave it running though, I drive it real easy for a good 3-5 minutes and once my temp gauge is centered, I unleash the beast.

I let my car warm up. I don't just leave it running though, I drive it real easy for a good 3-5 minutes and once my temp gauge is centered, I unleash the beast.

Pretty much what I do unless the car is all covered with ice and shit. Let it idle for a minute to move the oil around then keep it below 2000 rpms for the first half mile or so.

Gotta melt the snow under the car first

It sure beats shovelin'!

Why do sherdoggers always start car measuring when it comes to d!cks.

For all the poors who can't afford to live in a warm year round state, that's all you need. Back in the 70's when engine tolerances weren't as precise as today, beating on a cold engine could cause a cold seizure, or lack of oil flow could seize a bearing. Lubricants and engine fitment is much better today, tho, so it's not something to worry about.

When it's -40 here and you leave your vehicle outside/not in a garage and start it, you can hear the metal on metal sound before the oil starts getting pumped up to the head(s) and stuff. That's why you "warm up" your engine before you drive it, and also why you use different viscosity oil for different temperatures.

That said, even in summer I don't just start the vehicle, throw it into gear and start driving. I let my engines idle/kick down. Like when you first start it, it's idling at say 1500 rpm, and after a minute or two it drops to under 1000 rpm. Then I go.

For all the poors who can't afford to live in a warm year round state, that's all you need. Back in the 70's when engine tolerances weren't as precise as today, beating on a cold engine could cause a cold seizure, or lack of oil flow could seize a bearing. Lubricants and engine fitment is much better today, tho, so it's not something to worry about.

My Honda s2000 lives in Miami so it's never cold down there. Thinking about getting a Miata or fr-s for Texas. I'll give them the same treatment here.

My Honda s2000 lives in Miami so it's never cold down there. Thinking about getting a Miata or fr-s for Texas. I'll give them the same treatment here.

You better get a hot girl or ride solo if you get the Miata. It's pretty gay otherwise.

Unless you are gay (which is totally cool) in which case you should get a hot pink one with racing stripes.

I thought people only warmed up their car to get the inside heated.

Back