*Weili Zhang Vs Rose Namajunas: Who would get it?*

Zhang excels in scrambles or frantic exchanges. You can see fights where Zhang throws a hook and falls to the ground because she is wild. Her best technical strike is probably her pushkick or sidekick. Zhang is a much better athlete than JJ in terms of physicality. I don't believe Zhang can beat JJ in a clean tit for tat standup fight. She is going to need some sort of gameplan for her fight instead of "fighting"

I don't believe Zhang can beat JJ in a clean tit for tat standup fight. She is going to need some sort of gameplan for her fight instead of "fighting"

I've been concerned about whether Zhang will have to fight Joanna without having her (Weili's) striking coach in her corner, just in case he would be helpful to her in terms of her making the best adjustments during the fight.

She had to fight without him in her corner during her two previous fights in the U.S. (because the United States wouldn't let him enter the country), and those were her only UFC fights that she won by decision rather than by a finish. I had been hoping that that unfair disadvantage had been solved, but now I fear that the coronavirus situation may have put that disadvantage back into place. Will he be entering the country with her when she comes? I don't know.

I don't think Weili is as strong as Andrade, although it might be close. I'm sure though that Weili's wrestling isn't as good as Andrade's, so i think Rose would be the favourite.

Not sure how you reached this conclusion ... seeing as Weili beat the absolute dog shit out of Andrade.

If Weili beats Joanna and faces Rose, who got your money?

Rose beat Joanna twice and was schooling Andrade before the slam. Do you believe she could do the same to Zhang?

We'll know more seeing their next fights. March 7 Weili versus Joanna. April 18 Rose versus Jessica.

Not sure how you reached this conclusion ... seeing as Weili beat the absolute dog shit out of Andrade.

Strength is debatable, but we can get an idea of their wrestling abilities based on their fights against Tecia.
Andrade went something like 10 for 12 on takedowns whereas Zhang was only 2 for 8.

Rose has no wins in last 2 years, it's easy to forget she was beast. And her best win is JJ, who, according to majority here, will be destroyed by Zhang (for whatever reason). Times change.
Yeah, so shamefull to have your best win (twice) vs JJ

Strength is debatable, but we can get an idea of their wrestling abilities based on their fights against Tecia.
Andrade went something like 10 for 12 on takedowns whereas Zhang was only 2 for 8.

Hilarious example of how some people choose mental masturbation over reality.

Yes dude, we can "imagine" who might be stronger, based on comparing their performances in other fights, to "get an idea" ...

Or, we could pull her head out of our ass, and look at the actual fight, and get irrefutable proof that Weili Zhang was miles better and stronger because she beat the dog shit out of Andrade in real life.

I think you are greatly over-estimating Rose's fragility with respect to getting hit.

For one thing, Rose is known to hard-spar with male fighters. There's a story that Pat Barry tells about some dude that was sparring hard enough with Rose that it pissed Pat off and so he told that dude he'd have to spar with him (Pat) next. Notable about that story is that Rose wasn't the one who had a problem with how hard the sparring partner was going, it was Pat who got upset. Nor did either Rose or Pat stop the hard-sparring session with that dude.

Rose also helped Valentina by hard sparring with her for two fight camps, and Rose mentioned that Valentina has a reputation for hurting sparring partners because of how hard she hits when hard sparring. That didn't scare Rose away from being Valentina's sparring partner though. And, while she was talking about it, I think Rose was sporting a black eye that she had gotten from a session with Valentina, if I recall correctly. And even having tasted that power, Rose has said that she'd like to fight Valentina for real one day.

the dude was Melvin Guillard. I’m just saying her fragility is mental. Not physical. She looks speaks and comes off as mentally weak. In regards to being. Prize fighter.
She’s fighting back tears most of the time I see her before a fight or with confrontation.
And sparring is sparring. She shouldn’t get a rose for sparring against a really good fighter. That’s what fighters do. So good in her for taking the opportunity to spar one of the best.
But that’s not a unique asset to prize fighting.

I hope she does well. I’m not hating on her. Just my opinion on what I see.

and the single fight I watched of zhang she brought the violence so I will support that as a fight fan.

Need to watch more zhang fight, dont know much about her. Im really curious to see how she fare against joana

the dude was Melvin Guillard. I’m just saying her fragility is mental. Not physical. She looks speaks and comes off as mentally weak. In regards to being. Prize fighter.
She’s fighting back tears most of the time I see her before a fight or with confrontation.
And sparring is sparring. She shouldn’t get a rose for sparring against a really good fighter. That’s what fighters do. So good in her for taking the opportunity to spar one of the best.
But that’s not a unique asset to prize fighting.

I hope she does well. I’m not hating on her. Just my opinion on what I see.

and the single fight I watched of zhang she brought the violence so I will support that as a fight fan.

You said "fragility with respect to getting hit." So I pointed out that I see no evidence at all of "fragility with respect to getting hit." Whether mental or physical. That she is emotionally a "cry baby" is her own assessment of herself in her own words (and is consistent with her having an emotional support dog). Yes, she cries regularly before fights. She also cries regularly during training... not about getting hit, however, but because she is a perfectionist who frequently gets overly frustrated with herself if she isn't learning something as quickly as she thinks she should. She has been a "cry baby" since the beginning of her career (and probably before that).

P.S. Thanks for informing me that the dude was Melvin Guillard. :)

Last edited:
Not saying that Andrade is the better fighter, although Andrade has accomplished more at strawweight than Weili, as of now.
Weili seems to be very strong, don't get me wrong, but i have yet to see her pick people up and violently slam them down. Andrade did this numerous times against Gadelha, it looked almost like a man tossing a child around at times.

As for Andrade vs Zhang: strength doesn't help you from getting finished if you run chin up into the strikes of someone who packs power. If Andrade hit Zhang that way, she could've done the same thing to Zhang. Difference is that Zhang is not as reckless as Andrade was in that fight.

Zhang has impressed the hell out of me. She proves me wrong with each fight. I really just want to see more out of her, but I think I like Zhang for now. I like Tatiana over anyone at the moment, but I feel that her not getting the next title shot will help her develop when she does get the shot.

Yes dude, we can "imagine" who might be stronger, based on comparing their performances in other fights, to "get an idea" ...

Or, we could pull her head out of our ass, and look at the actual fight, and get irrefutable proof that Weili Zhang was miles better and stronger because she beat the dog shit out of Andrade in real life.

Not at all what he said.

Welcome to Sherdog, where morons like yourself have worse reading comprehension than my 5 year old kid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back