*Weili Zhang Vs Rose Namajunas: Who would get it?*

She had an exhibition spar with Saenchai for the cameras, like literally 10,000 other people who've been to his seminars. 10 minutes of playing around with him in the ring doesn't magically transfer his skills over to her.

The skills which Zhang has actually demonstrated in the cage are nowhere near what folks keep claiming she has. She's yet to show the pressuring & cage cutting footwork needed to deal with someone like Rose, and she's yet to hurt anyone who didn't run face first into her fists in full Ronda style. She's a good fighter no doubt, but too many folks are already giving her mythical unbeatable status much like they did with Holly when she beat Ronda. How'd that one turn out? Let's wait till after the Joanna fight before we get carried away.

ya..I realize it was just an exhibition....so we'll see how she does....I think how easily she beats joanna, will say alot...but I do think she will beat her though....just her hitting the pads, this girl can hit.

Well I’ve seen welei fight once and the girl she fought who was a champion. Just crumbled and quit from ouch. Getting hit hurts.
against rose who is bar none the most fragile fughter ive ever seen in 40 years of prizefighting.

I think you are greatly over-estimating Rose's fragility with respect to getting hit.

For one thing, Rose is known to hard-spar with male fighters. There's a story that Pat Barry tells about some dude that was sparring hard enough with Rose that it pissed Pat off and so he told that dude he'd have to spar with him (Pat) next. Notable about that story is that Rose wasn't the one who had a problem with how hard the sparring partner was going, it was Pat who got upset. Nor did either Rose or Pat stop the hard-sparring session with that dude.

Rose also helped Valentina by hard sparring with her for two fight camps, and Rose mentioned that Valentina has a reputation for hurting sparring partners because of how hard she hits when hard sparring. That didn't scare Rose away from being Valentina's sparring partner though. And, while she was talking about it, I think Rose was sporting a black eye that she had gotten from a session with Valentina, if I recall correctly. And even having tasted that power, Rose has said that she'd like to fight Valentina for real one day.

Last edited:
That was the fight i was hoping for hope this fight would still happen. Second fight with Joanna vs Rose, Joanna landed a lot too but those strikes don't seem to affect Rose too much when Rose lands Joanna is visibility rocked and carry much more damage on her face. Weili will come in with a lot more power can Rose deal with it ? Weili is will be the hardest hitter Rose faced so far. Andrade had nothing for Rose on the feet before that slam and Weili blown her out of the water.
Joanna got hit by Tecia hard once and showed a black and blue welt. When was the last time Tecia hit anybody on the roster and they showed that type of damage. Never. Andrade has taken a ton of damage and showed a few scratches and Tecia hit her just as hard and more often.

I don't think people have any idea what they are seeing and it's not their fault. Joanna has had a long ass career and has been hit a lot. Combine the subcutaneous scarring with the various conditions induced by weight cutting and you have your answer.

Rose got fucked up too but mostly showed it the day after like a normal person. You could clearly see welts on her face after the fight but they were skin color just like the welt on Tecia's head after Joanna hit her real hard.

Remember Andrade hit Joanna as she was moving backwards and gave her a nasty mouse in two spots. She has hit other girls just as hard with little to no visible damage.

When one fighter is showing damage and nobody else is or practically nobody maybe it's not the ones throwing the punches.

ya..I realize it was just an exhibition....so we'll see how she does....I think how easily she beats joanna, will say alot...but I do think she will beat her though....just her hitting the pads, this girl can hit.

Pads don't move. Pads don't hit back. There's videos of Holly Holm smashing the shit out of the pads, yet the only UFC opponents she's ever KO'd are Ronda and Bethe. The fight's less than 3 weeks away, let's wait & see what happens before saying a bunch of stuff that makes us look silly afterwards. As I said, Zhang is a good fighter but there's way too much we don't know about her at this point which is why I'm not even going to try & make a prediction.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

pun intended.

Joanna got hit by Tecia hard once and showed a black and blue welt. When was the last time Tecia hit anybody on the roster and they showed that type of damage. Never. Andrade has taken a ton of damage and showed a few scratches and Tecia hit her just as hard and more often.

I don't think people have any idea what they are seeing and it's not their fault. Joanna has had a long ass career and has been hit a lot. Combine the subcutaneous scarring with the various conditions induced by weight cutting and you have your answer.

Rose got fucked up too but mostly showed it the day after like a normal person. You could clearly see welts on her face after the fight but they were skin color just like the welt on Tecia's head after Joanna hit her real hard.

Remember Andrade hit Joanna as she was moving backwards and gave her a nasty mouse in two spots. She has hit other girls just as hard with little to no visible damage.

When one fighter is showing damage and nobody else is or practically nobody maybe it's not the ones throwing the punches.
Fair enough Joanna bruises easily but you can see she gets rocked easy First fight against Rose she got KO'ed second fight she gets rocked few times. She got rocked by Claudia and Karolina too. This doesn't stack up well for her.

rose going to retire after getting ko'ed by andrade again so we will never know...

rose going to retire after getting ko'ed by andrade again so we will never know...
I actually hope Rose beats Andrade so she can fight Joanna a 3rd time. This time JJ wrecks her shit. But before that once Weili is no longer champ I'm sure Tatiana's neck will make a miraculous recovery and she can face JJ this summer.

If Weili beats Joanna and faces Rose, who got your money?

Rose beat Joanna twice and was schooling Andrade before the slam. Do you believe she could do the same to Zhang?
Rose was schooling Andrade in the first round, but by the second round was already starting to slow down due to Andrade's kicks. My money would be on Weili.

I don't think Weili is as strong as Andrade, although it might be close. I'm sure though that Weili's wrestling isn't as good as Andrade's, so i think Rose would be the favourite.

EDIT: because i think Rose is the superior striker
Not only do I think Weili is stronger than Jessica, I think she's the better wrestler, or at least has better submission skills. She's submitted more fighters in the past 5 years than Andrade has.

I'm well aware of that, but Zhang>Andrade and Andrade>Rose so Zhang>Rose is MMA-math, isn't it?
Yes, Andrade was getting to Rose, but that's due to Andrade's output + power - and of course, tha ability to not just throw, but also land a lot.
Those leg kicks accumulated on Rose and were slowing her down, but you shouldn't forget that the grappling that took place earlier in the fight also was a factor which made Rose slower, so it's not like Andrade was outstriking Rose, at the very least not due to being a better striker.
Zhang has not shown (yet) to be the kind of striker that walks somebody down who's proficient with her movement and distance-management, which are things where Rose is extremely good at, so Rose should be able to outbox her.

For similar reasons as those mentioned, i also think that Joanna will beat Zhang.
Have you seen the training films for Weili after her Tecia fight compared to those before? She's an entirely different fighter now with far better footwork, and more speed and power. I've got Weili > anyone at 115.

Andrade was starting to get to Rose? What? Rose was schooling her before the slam
I think you need to re-watch the fight. Rose's was noticeably slowing down in the second round due to Jessica's leg kicks and grappling.

And your point is?

Have you seen the training films for Weili after her Tecia fight compared to those before? She's an entirely different fighter now with far better footwork, and more speed and power. I've got Weili > anyone at 115.
I haven't seen it. I think we'll have to wait until we see her in the ring.
It's certainly possible that she has gotten better!

What's the latest on her neck? last I heard even her return was uncertain, much less it's timing.
Rose is booked to fight Jessica Andrade at UFC 249 on April 18.

Back