"weight lifting should not hinder your main sport"

When I was doing Muay Thai regularly (2-3 times/week) I found that I felt stronger and faster when I was lifting. I tweaked my back deadlifting in Dec 2008 so I had to take a bit of time off from squatting and deadlifting in early 2009 and I felt slower. Interesting I felt better when I started squatting again even though I started with easy weights.

That said, there definitely were times that I felt worn out at MT because of a tough day of lifting the day before. If I was more serious about MT (it's just a hobby for me) I would have put more effort into making sure that didn't happen. I feel like the 5/3/1 is a good fit for martials arts training because it is so flexible. It's tough to keep up with linear progression (i.e. Starting Strength) when you are also doing tough conditioning at the MT gym a few times/week.

When I was doing Muay Thai regularly (2-3 times/week) I found that I felt stronger and faster when I was lifting. I tweaked my back deadlifting in Dec 2008 so I had to take a bit of time off from squatting and deadlifting in early 2009 and I felt slower. Interesting I felt better when I started squatting again even though I started with easy weights.

That said, there definitely were times that I felt worn out at MT because of a tough day of lifting the day before. If I was more serious about MT (it's just a hobby for me) I would have put more effort into making sure that didn't happen. I feel like the 5/3/1 is a good fit for martials arts training because it is so flexible. It's tough to keep up with linear progression (i.e. Starting Strength) when you are also doing tough conditioning at the MT gym a few times/week.

Just to pipe in on this experience.
I think the key bit of MT is knowing your body enough to know when you can push through the tiredness to get the skill session in (you won't be 100%, but it's all about ingraining technique) and when you just back off or take a break.

I used to train maybe 8-10 hours of MT a week on top of 3-4 lifting sessions and 2-3 of my own cardio.
I didn't really know what could push myself to do (which it turns out is a lot if sleep, food and rest are in abundent supply), so just kept going.
In hindsight, I would probably have rested more and kept with, at most 3 lifting sessions, with my own cardio work being LSD/recovery work.

Can you see why as a student I didn't really drink much or have date :redface:.

Zombie mode- engage

At the moment i am doing 3-4 big excersises like squating, deadlifting, benchpress, overhead press (standing) .. I variate day A and B with pull ups, chin ups and the overhead press, so my work out sessions at the gym has cut down a lot, i used to do way more

I am going to do 3 work outs with strength training, because I cut down so much time in the gym. It might have already been a good enough solution for me. It seems to me cutting down excersises + going less often is in some way a double solution.

So first checking out how my body responds now I do less excersises, and if its fine, keep at it. If i feel its still not working for me, then cut down to 2 sessions a week

and I am probably going to eat more, aslong as I don't gain fat I am okay with it

Thoughts?

In reference to the quote in the thread title, I feel that too many athletes confuse lifting / conditioning for their sport. They try to do lifts that mimic their sport movements. This is a mistake. It teaches the body bad technique and I firmly believe that, although there are a few sport-like movements that can be done with resistance, most should not.

for any sport player, weightlifting is just gpp for their sport.

Back