weight lifting if fighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grchrampage

White Belt
Reaction score
do you lift heavy reps 8-10 or go a lil lighter and do 18-20 and also how many times a wk do you hit a muscle and which ones do you concentrate on most?

Define 'if fighting'

Are you leading up to a fight? Theres a possibility that your fighting soon? or you've just started standup and would like to get stronger so that if you get the chance to fight, you'll be more prepared? Or the most fun, you're fighting regularly (ie every 3-5 weeks)?

Depending on your answer it depends, but whatever the reason, I can tell you high reps in the 18-20 range are not needed and heavy low rep sets don't start until 6 and down, 8-10 is all about the size mainly

i'm still waiting for a response to this from the thread maker

I lift heavy 3 sets 10 reps. I hit every muscle atleast twice a week. There are no muscles "I concentrate on the most". I train my entire body, shoulders, neck, biceps, triceps, chest, stomach, back, legs. Though I train my legs the least. I do squats, jumps and I ride the bike. That's about all I do to train my legs.

Yeah, not training your legs makes your upper body look bigger. Good call dude.

Hamit Aktas said:
I lift heavy 3 sets 10 reps. I hit every muscle atleast twice a week. There are no muscles "I concentrate on the most". I train my entire body, shoulders, neck, biceps, triceps, chest, stomach, back, legs. Though I train my legs the least. I do squats, jumps and I ride the bike. That's about all I do to train my legs.
This post leads me to question the integrity of your routine.

Training the legs is very important for fighters. The legs assist in powerful punches and kicks, as well as keeping a fighter on his feet when extremely tired, at least for me anyway.

Oh, and there are many threads about lifting for fighters- just remember to concentrate on your sport more than on lifting; its a means to an end, which many forget.

Perhaps Amit has freaky large strong legs already from speed skating or something. You never know.

All I ever consistantly lift for is leg strength and power, the upper body for me is a 2nd.

Probably why I have put on about 7lbs in the last 6 months...not that I want to

Training the lower body AND the core is very important for athletes.

Not just lower body.

would indirect core work suffice?

I do GM's and a variety of squat variences. I'm getting back into DL's again. I would assume things like zercher dl's would work the core pretty well by themselves

I went through a period of doing incline weighted sit ups, but that only lasted 3 or so months until my abs caught up with the load I was using with the squats (I was feeling a spasm/pain effect in my abs when I went to heavy loads).

Urban said:
This post leads me to question the integrity of your routine.

The integrity of my routine? It's fine, thank you.

If you are training MMA 4 or 5 days a week, then squatting, plyos and or bicycling is all your body can really handle.

bck said:
If you are training MMA 4 or 5 days a week, then squatting, plyos and or bicycling is all your body can really handle.

well that depends how often ur doin it.

Hamit Aktas said:

Guy #1: Benches 375, Squats 285
Guy #2: Squats 375, Benches 285

Guy #1= Guy #2's bitch.

True for 98% of sports.

Hamit Aktas said:
The integrity of my routine? It's fine, thank you.

No, dude, it's not, and that's the most polite Urban gets. Be thankful.

I don't care if that is the "most polite" Urban gets. My routine is fine. Unless you become a PrideFC champ or something, your word means nothing to me. The people I listen to are BJJ black belts who train at BTT, ex body builders and well known fighters. If you are none of em, don't bother.

adding 'ex body builders' is a strange thing to add to that line up of people that you would listen to

Hamit Aktas said:
I don't care if that is the "most polite" Urban gets. My routine is fine. Unless you become a PrideFC champ or something, your word means nothing to me. The people I listen to are BJJ black belts who train at BTT, ex body builders and well known fighters. If you are none of em, don't bother.
Why you here anyway then?

Go look up the word contradiction.

And not only that what you just said made you lose all credibility in what you are talking about.

Please leave if you aren't willing listen and keep an open mind.

Ian1983 said:
adding 'ex body builders' is a strange thing to add to that line up of people that you would listen to
LMFAO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back