We shouldn't build *any* new warships + planes and reduce military size by at least 25%

Europe collapse most likely. 20 years.

And they'd go to war with us or you mean Russia would gain more power and start war with us?

And they'd go to war with us or you mean Russia would gain more power and start war with us?
There's probably 24,000 reasons and examples of how the world could come to war in 20 years. I cited one for you but to piggyback on Russia... who knows, maybe? Maybe they strategically EMP us all over the U.S. and wait us out to tear ourselves apart. Then one year later, invade, take over, restore power.

Give an example. With who?
Anyone that is worthy of total war. I prefer to have the best military on the planet. The saying goes, better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

There's probably 24,000 reasons and examples of how the world could come to war in 20 years. I cited one for you but to piggyback on Russia... who knows, maybe? Maybe they strategically EMP us all over the U.S. and wait us out to tear ourselves apart. Then one year later, invade, take over, restore power.

I don't see a path of developed countries going to all out war unless you consider these proxy wars we use the Middle East for. The only imaginable scenario results with nuclear anialation for both sides. For a country to go to war with the country that not only has the largest miltary but also the largest nuclear stockpile that is protected by two oceans just seems unimaginable.

Wars other than proxy wars are fought in cyber and economic warfare with developed countries. We should be far more focused in those threats as an all out war in the sense of World War II can't happen anymore. There's a reason that war quickly ended after we dropped a nuke. That era of warfare had become obsolete. The Cold War confirmed it.

Anyone that is worthy of total war. I prefer to have the best military on the planet. The saying goes, better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

see post above

I don't see a path of developed countries going to all out war unless you consider these proxy wars we use the Middle East for. The only imaginable scenario results with nuclear anialation for both sides. For a country to go to war with the country that not only has the largest miltary but also the largest nuclear stockpile that is protected by two oceans just seems unimaginable.

Wars other than proxy wars are fought in cyber and economic warfare with developed countries. We should be far more focused in those threats as an all out war in the sense of World War II can't happen anymore. There's a reason that war quickly ended after we dropped a nuke. That era of warfare had become obsolete. The Cold War confirmed it.
You think that if we get EMP'd we will be able to strike back?

We're not invincible... not yet.

I just don't get the necessity of increasing military spending now that we are at the point where several nations possess the firepower to basically end life on the planet as we know it.

We are at the point where if we ever employ the military technology that we possess to its fullest capacity, it would be, for all intents and purposes, the end of civilization.

So why do we need MORE military capabilities?

see post above
If what you say is truth, then both China and Russia would have no reason to increase their conventional forces, yet they are. It just seems foolish to dial back on conventional forces.

I don't see a scenario of how that happens without us nuking them back. Say it happens though and a nuclear armed country does it. They either used an emp to then nuke us afterwards or wanted to just destroy us economically and leave us be afterwards. Either way, we don't have much say if it happens and there isn't much of a war involved.

Prepared for what
For protecting our economic interests. How much of our military spending goes to keeping American bases open on foreign soil and boats patrolling other countries. Maybe I'm crazy, but having bases open in North Africa or the Philippines does nothing to make me feel safe. Considering the only countries that are even in the vicinity of us are a third world country and a country who would battle us with hockey sticks spending so much on our military seems extremely asinine. Most of the spending does nothing to protect us more as to protect corporate interests.

I do not mind heavy spending in military R&D though as a lot of that technology ends up becoming civilian technology.

If what you say is truth, then both China and Russia would have no reason to increase their conventional forces, yet they are. It just seems foolish to dial back on conventional forces.

Russia has interest to do so cause they still have ambitions to expand their borders thus my point of the proxy wars in the Middle East. China does this as well but it may be to place more aggression on Japan and Korea in the future. Those two powers may have plans of warfare but they would be with non nuclear powers to expand their borders, not to somehow challenge the us in their own homeland. They'd just like to back us off their own continent if possible.

For protecting our economic interests. How much of our military spending goes to keeping American bases open on foreign soil and boats patrolling other countries. Maybe I'm crazy, but having bases open in North Africa or the Philippines does nothing to make me feel safe. Considering the only countries that are even in the vicinity of us are a third world country and a country who would battle us with hockey sticks spending so much on our military seems extremely asinine. Most of the spending does nothing to protect us more as to protect corporate interests.

I do not mind heavy spending in military R&D though as a lot of that technology ends up becoming civilian technology.

I agree with most of that. We can't fall behind in new technologies. That's what I was trying to say though. Other countries like those in europe have benefited from our military spending for a long time. They can't focus on their social programs while we have to police the world. It's bullshit to the average American. Trump actually had a point with this but I don't think he's going about it the right way in practice. Time will tell though

sorry if my last threads weren't so well thought-through, I've consumed drugs for the fist time since college and I want to create threads but can't think of good OPs
That would explain any liberal thinking......

Give an example. With who?

ISIS. They have managed to etch out a lot of territory in Iraq and Syria. They have successfully carried out 32 attacks in Europe. We will be seeing a lot more attacks here in the U.S. in the near future. They are going to make 9/11 and the 3,000 killed at the Twin Towers look like nothing. You know it is not of question of if, but when they will successfully detonate a nuclear weapon in a large city in the U.S. That will be roughly 8 million American deaths.

After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Russians could not account for all their nuclear weapons, and Pakistan is a corrupt country who is nuclear. So, once that happens, how is our ‘small’ U.S. military going to react? Should we keep that number based on the force we had in 1939 = 190,000 soldiers? This is not the time to have a small Army or we will get a ‘royal’ ass whooping like we got at the beginning of WWI and WWII.

Although our bloated military should be drastically reduced, it never will. Our entire system is based upon infinite growth.

Yes.

Replacing transistors in a massive system is not a simple task but forming a communication line between your country and your massive armada isn't.

Back