Relationship We need that money. That's all the money we had, Karen!!!

How do you and your partner handle finances?

• We are poor and don't have bank accounts.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Doesn't matter now but there was a guy here telling me I shouldn't even go out to eat with my husband because he's successful and I didn't pay my way enough. Like he should go out on his own because I didn't deserve to be in his company.
The F??

<{clintugh}>

I was having a discussion with a few guys at work and the topic of finances came up. The two guys I work with do not have their own accounts, and all their money goes into one account they share with their wife. This blows me away. Now, my money is available for my wife, but I would never want to exclusively have accounts linked together. We have a joint account that we deal with bills on, and each of us have our own checking and savings account. I'm wondering what my Sherbros think of this.

I can see if you were a controlling husband, the "all-money-in-one-account" approach makes a bit of sense. It allows you to monitor all behavior, but that's a double-edged sword in my opinion. I like having my wife be able to do as she pleases once the bills are paid. I handle all the investments with her as the sole beneficiary and it works for us.

What say you, Sherbros!!!! Do you have separate accounts from your wife/partner, or do you pool all your money in one set of accounts???

giphy.webp

Me and my wife have separate accounts and all my coworkers think it's the weirdest thing in the world.

Glad I'm not the only one out there who would rather just keep the accounts split and pay the bills together.

Me and my wife have separate accounts and all my coworkers think it's the weirdest thing in the world.

Glad I'm not the only one out there who would rather just keep the accounts split and pay the bills together.

Like, I'd give her whatever she ever needs, but at the same time, there is something free about having your own too. I just donated 50 trees to the rainforest. My wife will see the free calendar and then know what I did. It's fine.

I am surprised by the amount of LTR here who have separated accounts. Wife and i have 1 account. All investments in her name for taxation reasons. My income is maybe double hers.

How many couples here have kids and still keep accounts separate? the income disparity becomes quite severe then if the mother stops working.

Personally, my wife and i made a decision to pool all our finances shortly after we moved in together. We were both 30-ish, so i guess not exactly young or our first ride on the relationship train. We are both professionals (engineers) fwiw, and my financial position and net income was a fair bit stronger but thats just details. Now we have two rootin' trophies, she had 2.5 years off and also works part time only now, but nothing has changed. If we split, I'd give her half and ongoing fair alimony, because thats what we committed to when we got together and we've always supported each other. its 12 years on and all good, my feelings haven't changed. If we split, the loss of family structure would be far more devastating to me than some fucking money. And I am, uh, relatively wealthy so it's not like i'm losing a 2006 Honda accord and a few grand in shitty furniture.

We make roughly the same amount of money.

Have separate accounts, she just has a monthly transfer set up for her half of the bills and some into savings.

Then we spend our own money however we want without having to clear it with the other person.

When we go out or do food shopping we roughly take it in turns to pay but don't really keep track.

I was having a discussion with a few guys at work and the topic of finances came up. The two guys I work with do not have their own accounts, and all their money goes into one account they share with their wife. This blows me away. Now, my money is available for my wife, but I would never want to exclusively have accounts linked together. We have a joint account that we deal with bills on, and each of us have our own checking and savings account. I'm wondering what my Sherbros think of this.

I can see if you were a controlling husband, the "all-money-in-one-account" approach makes a bit of sense. It allows you to monitor all behavior, but that's a double-edged sword in my opinion. I like having my wife be able to do as she pleases once the bills are paid. I handle all the investments with her as the sole beneficiary and it works for us.

What say you, Sherbros!!!! Do you have separate accounts from your wife/partner, or do you pool all your money in one set of accounts???

giphy.webp
One my personal benefits from being married so long is that I no longer have to do banking. Which, if I’m being honest, was not my strong suit as a single man. My system is pretty simple. We have one account where all the money goes, and she handles the finances. I buy what I want, when I want.

It’s a win/win for me. Even more so with the advent of cash apps.

Back