We need another Anderson Silva

Thuckey

I swear to drunk.. I'm not God.
Platinum Member
Reaction score
A guy comes into the UFC, wrecks everybody he faces in dominant fashion getting some of the most surreal finishes in the sport, goes undefeated for many many fights defending a belt in whatever weightclass he happens to be in...

I fucking miss that shit.

Every time you watched a Silva fight, you knew something spectacular was coming. Except for the couple duds he had (which was clear he was much better than the other guy anyways) every fight from him was something special in mma. He didn't just win, he did THIS:

anderson-silva-front-kick-vitor-belfort1.gif

tumblr_my49ymMZHE1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

tumblr_mk2f7kDB3S1s80fhyo1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_mfipvtSpVE1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

silvavsfranklin2_medium.gif

Seriously, the GIFs just go on and on and on and on... there's so much to chose from.

Now, even if you don't think you agree, subconsciously on some level YOU want another Anderson Silva too.

Just look at guys like Conor McGregor, Sage Northcutt who are supposed to be the "next big thing" in UFC standards is pretty fucking hard to match let alone TOP. To be the next big thing like Silva, you'd have to somehow equal a 16 fight winning streak against top guys. Conor and Sage have already lost. Matching Silva's dominance has proved not a simple as just accepting the new rising star as a replacement...

In the history of combat sports there were many big stars. Tyson, Ali, Fedor, Mayweather etc.

And all of those guys had incredible runs. Who is on an incredible run today? Nobody really. Everybody seems to be of equal strength - with some winning more and some losing more. The UFC belts have never been so "hot potatoed" all over the place with a few exceptions. Jones may have been that man - but he was ultimately defeated by himself, the greatest opponent of any fighter.

MMA NEEDS another Anderson Silva. Whether you want to admit it or not, we as human CRAVE the success of a athlete to go out there and perform almost superhuman feats with an absolute aura of invincibility. Do we really want to see everybody on the same level indefinately? Sure, it's interesting for a while when a division is going through a transitional phase before deciding on a single, dominant guy - but this order seems relatively overdue.

We're we spoiled as early mma fans? Will we ever see the likes of somebody as good as Silva again?

Agree/Disagree? Who do you think could fill this void?

We had a dominant PED user in Jon Jones.

If you think they both used PED's for their -entire careers- without proof why not everybody else?

They were # 1 guys whats stopping everybody else

PEDS alone did not make them do what they could do in the cage. 99% of guys on PEDS could not even come close. So stop writing them off, fuck.

AMEN!!!!! The problem is that there can never be "another" Anderson Silva.

Agreed, Silva was something else in his prime and Fedor was too. Jones and GSP are great too but they dont have highlight reel moments like Anderson and Fedor.

People that think Anderson Silva and Jon Jones only did what they did because of PED's need a reality check.

Why aren't the other 423423 guys on PEDs doing the same thing they are?

*sigh*

If you think they both used PED's for their -entire careers- without proof why not everybody else?

They were # 1 guys whats stopping everybody else

PEDS alone did not make them do what they could do in the cage. 99% of guys on PEDS could not even come close. So stop writing them off, fuck.

That part's true.

I do hope we'll see another one. Nothing quite like watching a fighter who has that invincible aura.

Sure, PEDs give you that extra little push but YOU are still in the drivers seat. You think PEDs automatically put them on fucking cruise control not to mention pretty much EVERYBODY THEY FACED were 99% using if you have a brain. Fuck this cancer that already ruined a good topic.

And I was here thinking Weidman would be God tier. Only embarrassments

Connie too. I used to get so caught up in these hype machines

Now it's only gus. Fuck the rest of these fucks

edit: gus, not guy

Last edited:
And I was here thinking Weidman would be God tier. Only embarrassments

Connie too. I used to get so caught up in these hype machines

Now it's only guy. Fuck the rest of these fucks

People give in to the hype because we were so spoiled with Silva, GSP, Jones, Aldo and Fedor. We just ASSUMED that new guys would come in and fill the roles no problem.

Things have been turning out to be the exact opposite.

Agreed, Silva was something else in his prime and Fedor was too. Jones and GSP are great too but they dont have highlight reel moments like Anderson and Fedor.

No kidding. This is still my favorite Fedor clip. This video showcases why so many people still consider Fedor the GOAT, and it got me into Tool all in one shot.

A guy comes into the UFC, wrecks everybody he faces in dominant fashion getting some of the most surreal finishes in the sport, goes undefeated for many many fights defending a belt in whatever weightclass he happens to be in...

I fucking miss that shit.

Every time you watched a Silva fight, you knew something spectacular was coming. Except for the couple duds he had (which was clear he was much better than the other guy anyways) every fight from him was something special in mma. He didn't just win, he did THIS:

anderson-silva-front-kick-vitor-belfort1.gif

tumblr_my49ymMZHE1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

tumblr_mk2f7kDB3S1s80fhyo1_r1_400.gif

tumblr_mfipvtSpVE1ry1rm7o1_250.gif

silvavsfranklin2_medium.gif

Seriously, the GIFs just go on and on and on and on... there's so much to chose from.

Now, even if you don't think you agree, subconsciously on some level YOU want another Anderson Silva too.

Just look at guys like Conor McGregor, Sage Northcutt who are supposed to be the "next big thing" in UFC standards is pretty fucking hard to match let alone TOP. To be the next big thing like Silva, you'd have to somehow equal a 16 fight winning streak against top guys. Conor and Sage have already lost. Matching Silva's dominance has proved not a simple as just accepting the new rising star as a replacement...

In the history of combat sports there were many big stars. Tyson, Ali, Fedor, Mayweather etc.

And all of those guys had incredible runs. Who is on an incredible run today? Nobody really. Everybody seems to be of equal strength - with some winning more and some losing more. The UFC belts have never been so "hot potatoed" all over the place with a few exceptions. Jones may have been that man - but he was ultimately defeated by himself, the greatest opponent of any fighter.

MMA NEEDS another Anderson Silva. Whether you want to admit it or not, we as human CRAVE the success of a athlete to go out there and perform almost superhuman feats with an absolute aura of invincibility. Do we really want to see everybody on the same level indefinately? Sure, it's interesting for a while when a division is going through a transitional phase before deciding on a single, dominant guy - but this order seems relatively overdue.

We're we spoiled as early mma fans? Will we ever see the likes of somebody as good as Silva again?

Agree/Disagree? Who do you think could fill this void?
Ya I gotta agree, Silva is the greatest in my opinion not just because of statistics, but the way he did it.

Back