We need a judo thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do it regardless. You will learn so much at your first tourney. Plus they are fun as hell.

You're right. I might as well. Have to rep my college right. ha. Well then that means I got a couple months to get some good training in.

Thread makes more sense than subforum.

Now, knee wheels- only effective with the gi or potentially transferrable to nogi?

Tough to do no gi Id say because if you dont shift his balance enough with the initial break, a good player can hit you with a huge counter. If you are reaping with the left foot, you gotta be able to push hard with the right and pull hard with the left to get his weight onto his right foot coming forward, and if you do this half assed he's grab your reaping leg and do a signle leg take down. This happened me about 10 times at the last session I was at as the guy I was fighting came 5th in the Japanese am wrestling nationals, anything less than a massive kazushi and you're done. Without the gi, getting that amount of leverage in the balance break is gonna be tough to do. If say with an overarm and a neck grip its possible, but there are a lot of safer ones to do from that position.

Hiza+osoto combination is one of my favourites.

Yes......yes (Happy Boy looks gloriously into the distance at the memories of how many times he's nailed this combo). Doing it the same side is actually quite a good variation for someone who might be expecting the usual switch, so start with a lefty variant on the hiza and then follow the block with a righty osoto. Caught a few of them unaware with that here.

Can BJJ'ers who train judo on the side be allowed to join in? :)

Yes, once they never ever ever say my most hated of BJJ lines that a BJJ blue belt could tap just about every judo black belt under the sun in a minute or two tops. One dude said that to my old instructor, a world silver in sambo, he felt the pain......

Hey guys, I wanted to see some of the opinions about the russian grip. Is it possible to use it while you stand up straight and your opponent is bent over. I find on some of the more experienced guys when I have it and stand up straight, they just duck under and I got nothin. I like Uchi Mata and A sloppy Osoto/harai variation with it. I prefer standing judo, and think bent over judo is ugly, but it seems I have to be bent over for that russian grip to not be neutralized (basically keep their posture bent over), and it sucks because the russian grip is starting to become money for me now.

Yes, thats a great grip to keep your opponent hunched, not just for throws but also its wears them down very well if you drag them around the mat like that, and can run the time down if you need to. If you are right handed, keep the same left collar grip and put your right over
the back and ever try and grab the belt. From here, they have very little they can do other than try and catch one of your legs and do a pick up if you go half assed into an ashi waza. From here, osoto, uchimata, ouchi, sumi gaeshi, yoko tomoenage are all very easy to hit and as your opponent can see much, they are very vulnerable. Its why a lot of guys will fight tooth and nail to stop you getting it.

Yes, thats a great grip to keep your opponent hunched, not just for throws but also its wears them down very well if you drag them around the mat like that, and can run the time down if you need to. If you are right handed, keep the same left collar grip and put your right over
the back and ever try and grab the belt. From here, they have very little they can do other than try and catch one of your legs and do a pick up if you go half assed into an ashi waza. From here, osoto, uchimata, ouchi, sumi gaeshi, yoko tomoenage are all very easy to hit and as your opponent can see much, they are very vulnerable. Its why a lot of guys will fight tooth and nail to stop you getting it.

I usually grab the gi material near the mid/lower back instead of the belt. Could that be causing the problem? I like it more then the belt grip, because the belt grip is too deep for my tastes. The problem I was having is standing upright while keeping the opponent hunched. I'm a fan of pretty judo, so I try to stay away from the hunched over position, but it seems like I have to hunch to keep them hunches, or else they duck under my arm and I lose the usefullness of the grip.

Here is my favourite of all time showing us the basic o-soto in Japanese. We could all do with taking a lesson from this dude.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhgF6FyG_U0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhgF6FyG_U0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

^^^^^^^^^^^^

The one he does at the 0.37 mark is my template for comp osoto, great way to do it for a big guy with the high trailing arm on the lapel.

I usually grab the gi material near the mid/lower back instead of the belt. Could that be causing the problem? I like it more then the belt grip, because the belt grip is too deep for my tastes. The problem I was having is standing upright while keeping the opponent hunched. I'm a fan of pretty judo, so I try to stay away from the hunched over position, but it seems like I have to hunch to keep them hunches, or else they duck under my arm and I lose the usefullness of the grip.

I suppose you have to hunch over somewhat with it, it shouldnt be your primary mode though becuase its a limited one for the amount of different things you can do. Its a good one to break out when you get into the 3rd or 4th minute and its close, really lead down on their back with it and force em to stay up, destroys the legs and is very tiring. If you get the belt and want to stay upright, press your forearm and elbow into the back with the right arm, but thinking about it, staying bolt upright isnt too advisable, you gotta hunch a bit to get the most out of that grip.

Here is my favourite of all time showing us the basic o-soto in Japanese. We could all do with taking a lesson from this dude.

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QhgF6FyG_U0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

That dude is a fekkin monster. anyone have his stats?

And yes, osoto-gari is definitely an underrated attack in Judo. Despite its simplicity as a basic trip, it is very effective in my opinion.

That dude is a fekkin monster. anyone have his stats?

And yes, osoto-gari is definitely an underrated attack in Judo. Despite its simplicity as a basic trip, it is very effective in my opinion.

I think hes 6'5 and around 135 or 140kgs. He has asperes syndrome I think, same thing as the Big Show, its why he looks like a Japanese version of Lurch form the Addams Family. Hes a legend here, very highly thought of, embodies Japanese-ness a lot.

so i understand that a "russian grip" is the over the shoulder belt grip, i can't see osoto being a good attack there, don't you have to get their weight going backwards to hit it and wouldn't the russian grip prevent that, i am a judo newb, please educate me

so i understand that a "russian grip" is the over the shoulder belt grip, i can't see osoto being a good attack there, don't you have to get their weight going backwards to hit it and wouldn't the russian grip prevent that, i am a judo newb, please educate me

It becomes like an osoto makikomi, hook on and just lean your weight over holding onto the sleeve grip and they should follow you down. Where their weight is going isnt all that important, you can do it from static with this grip.

can you explain what hand has the over the back belt grip and what the other hand is doing and what leg you are reaping?

can you explain what hand has the over the back belt grip and what the other hand is doing and what leg you are reaping?

Alrighty. Well, to be honest, there are about a million variations with sleeve and lapel and all that, but Ill describe one thats worked well for me.

This one is for a right hander's stance so you start off with you right hand on his left lapel, and your left hand on his right sleeve. Keeping you right hand where it is, pull down hard with it and send your left hand over the back and on the left side of his head. Grab the belt and switch stance to a lefty stance with left foot forward. From here, do a snap jolt with both hands to offset the balance, and as he adjusts, send your left leg out past his left leg and hook on, and from there pull hard with your right hand in the driving direction and hop off your right back foot. Sometimes it can be good to get extra leverage by switching your right hand from a left lapel to left left sleeve just as the drive commences. Its messy but if you do it fact it really catches them by surprise. Drive all the way from there and if you got the set up right you'll get something. Its hard to ippon with it as they tend to fall not flat, but you have great vantage point to get a good newaza positiion.

I think hes 6'5 and around 135 or 140kgs. He has asperes syndrome I think, same thing as the Big Show, its why he looks like a Japanese version of Lurch form the Addams Family. Hes a legend here, very highly thought of, embodies Japanese-ness a lot.

Whats his name?

What is the rule on the Russian grip,meaning how long can you hold it?

Isn't it illegal to get a belt grip to stall out?

What is the rule on the Russian grip,meaning how long can you hold it?

Isn't it illegal to get a belt grip to stall out?

6 seconds if you grip the sleeve and same side of the belt over the head, as long as you want if you go the other side of the head as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back